PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too much protein!?

Beavereater
09-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Total: 2778
Fat: 92 826 30%
Sat: 3 29 1%
Poly: 3 28 1%
Mono: 3 26 1%
Carbs: 202 783 29%
Fiber: 7 0 0%
Protein: 278 1114 41%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

And...what about my fat!? The reason I ask is because boneless skinless chicken breasts are so cheap here that I can eat it all the time (And I like it so much that I can). Should I lower my protein...eat something different??

I wanna lose wieght, gain muscle...but first lose weight. I think I went over my calories today. Trying to maintain around 2500. Had an energy bar cause I am working over time.

sublime99
09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
keep cals around 2200 no more than 2300 if you are cutting drop carbs to 100 to 150 grams and increase fats and proteins.

GMCtrk
09-21-2004, 09:52 PM
keep cals around 2200 no more than 2300 if you are cutting drop carbs to 100 to 150 grams and increase fats and proteins.

i disagree. Drop fats significantly and up carbohydrates so that you have more energy for cardio to burn fat.

Aspect
09-22-2004, 04:57 AM
I say look at the two posts above, and appreciate that there's no "right" answer. You could eat more carbs and less fat, or more fat and less carbs, or stay as you are. So long as you eat the right number of calories, eat enough protein, gets some EFA's, and most importantly can stick with this diet long term, you'll be successful.

You're not eating "too much" protein. You're probably eating more than you need to (meaning you could easily manage with less), but eating what you are won't do any harm as long as your total calories are kept to the right amount. So if this diet is convenient for you, and is something you can stick to, then keep eating this way!

The caloric value of your diet is most important. 2700 may be right for you, or may not be. As I've suggested before, stay at this intake for 2-4 weeks and monitor your progress; if you lose fat in this time then you're eating the right amount. If you're not, then you need to trim a few hundred more calories from somewhere.

One minor thing - I don't understand your breakdown of fats into sat, poly and mono - you're getting 92g of fat overall, but only 3g each of sat, poly and mono? I assume whatever software you use is going a bit wobbly there? I'm sure you know you ought to try to emphasise the healthful fats, and deemphasise saturates; so long as you're doing that, 92g of fat per day is perfectly fine.

Big John
09-22-2004, 05:11 AM
tuttut A/ your OVER eating B/ to many carbs SUBLIME99 is spot on. Big john,
1900 cals/200gr protein/80 gr fats/95 gr MAX carbs (only on training days) off days less.

Beavereater
09-22-2004, 05:34 AM
One minor thing - I don't understand your breakdown of fats into sat, poly and mono - you're getting 92g of fat overall, but only 3g each of sat, poly and mono? I assume whatever software you use is going a bit wobbly there? I'm sure you know you ought to try to emphasise the healthful fats, and deemphasise saturates; so long as you're doing that, 92g of fat per day is perfectly fine.

I use fitday.com to do it all. I live in Japan, and they don't have all the stuff I eat in their database. So, I have to put in custome foods a lot of the time, mostly diet stuff, but the stuff only shows the cals/fat/protein/carbs/sodium and that's it. Could that be why.

Anyway, I don't think I am eating too much, as I used to be eating 3500 cals a day (I weighed in at 304lbs about 3 weeks ago) and it came mostly from fat. SO, I cut out a lot of the fat and put in healthier food, veggies and boiled chicken mostly.

Aspect
09-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Yes, that's probably it - fair enough.

Sounds like you've chosen a good target caloric intake (800 per day below yur old intake) - like I say, stay at this level for a while and see if it works, adjust if necessary or stay the same if it's working, and just stick at it. You've made a great start, persistence will see you through to your goals :).

galileo
09-22-2004, 09:50 AM
If I lived in Japan it'd be sashimi for me, 5x a day. :)

Beavereater
09-22-2004, 11:44 AM
If I lived in Japan it'd be sashimi for me, 5x a day. :)
You would think so...but fish is expensive here. Chicken is by FAR the cheapest meat. I can get 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts for about a 1/4 the price of a packet of sashimi (Which is about 5 or 6 small peices). If I were richer maybe...

2 chicken breasts - $2 USD
Sashimi package - $ 6 USD (And thats the cheap fish.)

I live in a country where watermelon is 50 bucks...no ****!!!

galileo
09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
I bought 4 chicken breasts for dinner the other night and it was $20. A 6 piece sashimi platter is $16+. I don't eat watermelon, so perhaps we can trade locations. :)

Beavereater
09-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I bought 4 chicken breasts for dinner the other night and it was $20. A 6 piece sashimi platter is $16+. I don't eat watermelon, so perhaps we can trade locations. :)

I know its a bit offtopic...but everyone seems to think that living in Japan means you can get healthy fast. I don't know how they do it. I see 1 fat girl or guy for every 30 or 40 perfect sized people. BUT THEY STILL ARE DIET CRAZY!!

Anyway, I think they just eat smaller amounts of high calorie food...where as I am used to high amounts in whatever calorie...as long as my stomach is full.