PDA

View Full Version : Eating time....

Beavereater
09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Because of work...I usually eat my last meal at about midnight. I don't sleep until 3 or 4am...but I am at home. Should I be doing something so this food doesn't go to my gut!!?? Should I go for a 2am jog?? My dinner is always high protein...tofu, chicken, soy milk :eek: stuff like that. I don't wanna get into it, but I REALLY have little or no time for the 5 meals a day plan. BUT I can do maybe 4...but the last is always the biggest since it's when I get home, and that's always after the gym (I work out from 9pm to 11pm).

Comments...suggestions

(Sorry to post so many things...I just gotta get this worked out. THanks to everyone who helps)

Frozenmoses
09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Time of day really has no relevance on how your body metabolizes it. Just because you're eating late doesn't mean it is going to be retained as fat. That's just a myth people believe because if they don't eat around bedtime, they're just lowering their overall caloric intake and not gaining weight. You need food when you sleep. Your body goes 8 hours (hopefully) without food, so make sure it has a tank of gas to run on 'til the morning.

Beavereater
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Alright...so I can cancel out the 2am jog!! On that note...I know people say do the 5 meals a day...but if I am not hungry in the morning, and only eat say 2 meals a day about 8 hours apart (1pm and 9pm) would that be bad!?

Frozenmoses
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Yes, eating smaller meals often throughout the day keeps your metabolism running all day long.

Vido
09-22-2004, 02:43 PM
You should be eating CLOSER to bedtime than 3 or 4 hours away. You're going to be sleeping anywhere from 6-12 hours (if you're in the "normal" range); add another 3-4 hours on top of that and that's a long time without food. As long as you are within your calorie limitations for the day, eating late at night won't automatically lead to fat gain as many assume.

I wouldn't suggest going lower than 3 meals a day, but aside from that there's really very little evidence that eating more meals per day is any better for you.