PDA

View Full Version : Series of Questions

xlaw42
09-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Question 1.

For Body building what is the optimal calorie intake? Or is it dependant on weight, exercise and/or desired weight ? Also is if signifigant where the calories come from, aka from fat, from carbohydrates etc ?

Question 2.

Is there an opitmal protein intake ? I've heard it depends on body weight. Also what is the best way for your body to utilize the protein, Ex. using supplyments or lack thereof, more water etc for your body to better utilize the protein available

Question 3.

When it comes to carbohydrates, are they helpful for body builders, and if so what kind or both should one intake ?

Question 4.

Ammino Acids, How important are they in building muscle and body mass. And are their enough in your daily diet to do without supplyments, or are supplyments the clear way to go when consuming the amount you'll need ?

Question 5.

When you work out is there any consumtion that would be the most beneficial for: Right before Work-out --- During Work out --- and/or After Exercise ?

Question 6.

This question is kinda unorganized. But I got thinking wouldnt the following be important to pay attention too ?

Liver, Joints, Energy, Muscle recoverary and muscle stimulants.

The above how important would they be to take a supplyment for, or incorporate food into a diet that promotes them ?

PowerManDL
09-23-2004, 09:49 AM
You realize there's a diet forum two links down, right?

xlaw42
09-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Most stuff I've seen on Diet, has been about losing weight. Although there is stuff about gaining weight too.. I felt this was more tuned though body building because the people who body build have their OWN opinions on what works while they lift.

Anthony
09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Diet questions go in the diet forum. I haven't been impressed with your posting so far xlaw42 ...

galileo
09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Most stuff I've seen on Diet, has been about losing weight. Although there is stuff about gaining weight too.. I felt this was more tuned though body building because the people who body build have their OWN opinions on what works while they lift.

Bodybuilders hang out in Diet and Nutrition as well. Some even more than the Bodybuilding/Fitness forum.

geoffgarcia
09-23-2004, 10:28 AM
my 2 cents

Question 1.
For Body building what is the optimal calorie intake?
Or is it dependant on weight, exercise and/or desired weight ?
the latter

is if signifigant where the calories come from, aka from fat, from carbohydrates etc ?in terms of weight gain, no.
In terms of health and ideal promotion of muscle growth, yes

Question 2.
Is there an opitmal protein intake ? I've heard it depends on body weight. it does depend on bodyweight and goals. Typical intake for people interested in building muscle ranges from 1-2g per pound of body weight

what is the best way for your body to utilize the protein, Ex. using supplyments or lack thereof, more water etc for your body to better utilize the protein availableThe only thing I am aware of that gets recognition for increasing protein uptake is Aminogen. However its not FDA regulated, so the studies could be total BS. Other than that i can't think of any way to increase the uptake apart from selecting different proteins based on bioavailability

Question 3.
When it comes to carbohydrates, are they helpful for body builders, and if so what kind or both should one intake ?you always want fiber to help with your digestive track. 20-40g per day would be ideal for most adults. non dietary fiber is useful as a source of energy for the body. I find that 1g per pound of body weight is the minimum assuming your not doing any drastic dieting such as pre-contest.

Question 4.
Ammino Acids, How important are they in building muscle and body mass. And are their enough in your daily diet to do without supplyments, or are supplyments the clear way to go when consuming the amount you'll need ?proteins are made up of amino acids. They are considered essential. Whether you get enough depends upon the variety of protein sources you consume. I wouldn't put much faith in amino supplements as they are not FDA regulated and the ability for your body to utilize synthetic amino acids is questionable, however they are cheap, and might be worth taking "just in case" especially if you find most of your protein is coming from 1-2 sources (whey/chicken)

Question 5.
When you work out is there any consumtion that would be the most beneficial for: Right before Work-out --- During Work out --- and/or After Exercise ?after workout there is a 45 minute window that is often regarded as the magic window where your muscles do the most healing, at this time it would be ideal to have a ready supply of protein/amino acids, testosterone and energy to promote the healing process. Pre workout would be good also, but usually only a half serving is needed. During workout just drink some water to stay hydrated.

Question 6.
wouldnt the following be important to pay attention too ?
The above how important would they be to take a supplyment for, or incorporate food into a diet that promotes them ?
every part of your body is important and its our goals to keep everything optimized. A healthy well balanced diet is the first place to start.

Aspect
09-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Question 1.

For Body building what is the optimal calorie intake? Or is it dependant on weight, exercise and/or desired weight ? Also is if signifigant where the calories come from, aka from fat, from carbohydrates etc ?

To gain weight, the optimal would be "more than you use". There's no set value as everyone differs. Try the following - track your diet for a week, recording exactly what you eat, and use a website like www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com to figure out how many calories you ate. Eat normally during this "testing" period. The result of this should give you an idea of how many calories you need to eat to stay the same weight (your "maintenance" calories).

Now, eat 300-500 calories per day above maintenance for a few weeks. Did you gain weight? If so, you're eating the right amount. If not, add another 300-500 and try again. Repeat until you start growing. If you start piling on the fat, you're eating too much.

Question 2.

Is there an opitmal protein intake ? I've heard it depends on body weight. Also what is the best way for your body to utilize the protein, Ex. using supplyments or lack thereof, more water etc for your body to better utilize the protein available

Eat about 0.6 - 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight (there's a lot of evidence that you only need about 0.6g per pound LBM; however, eating more doesn't actually hurt, so most people aim higher "just in case"). It doesn't matter where you get the protein from - supplements or whole foods - just get the right amount. Eat more than that if you want (it won't hurt, though neither will it particularly help).

Question 3.

When it comes to carbohydrates, are they helpful for body builders, and if so what kind or both should one intake ?

Once you know how many calories you need (see above), and how much protein you need (see above), what you're left with can be from carbs or fat, or (more normally) a mixture of the two. You don't need to eat a lot of carbs, but it does no harm so long as total cals are right and it's usually far easier to eat enough calories when you include carbs in your diet.

Get most of your carbs in the form of complex carbs (whole grains, potatoes etc.), and from whole fruits and veg.

I personally average maybe 70-120g of fat per day, 0.7g-per-pound-lbm of protein, and get the bulk of the rest of my calories from carbs.

Question 4.

Ammino Acids, How important are they in building muscle and body mass. And are their enough in your daily diet to do without supplyments, or are supplyments the clear way to go when consuming the amount you'll need ?

Eat enough protein in your diet (see above) and you don't need supplements.

Question 5.

When you work out is there any consumtion that would be the most beneficial for: Right before Work-out --- During Work out --- and/or After Exercise ?

Before workout - eat or dink something with protein and carbs in it, and minimal fat - could be a supplement-style drink, or a tuna sandwich, or a load of milk. Doesn't really matter; pick something you like and can keep down during the workout. Eat it a little while before you train.

During workout - shouldn't need anything really (drink water if you need it).

After workout - eat or drink a mixture of carbs and protein as soon afterwards as possible. Ideally a ratio of 3carbs / 1protein. Again, can be a supplement drink, or some pasta with a little meat, or whatever food or drink you like.

If you don't do this, don't stress; you can still gain well without pre- or post-workout feeds, just not quite as well.

Question 6.

This question is kinda unorganized. But I got thinking wouldnt the following be important to pay attention too ?

Not really sure what you mean by half of those things, I guess you just mean taking care of your health in general? The best way to do this is to eat a healthy diet - that means get most of your calories in the form of fresh fruit and veg, lean meat, fish, nuts, seeds, whole grains, healthful fats etc. etc., and avoiding processed foods as much as possible.

Overall, the most important things diet-wise are:
1) Eat enough
2) Eat enough protein
3) Eat enough EFA's (essential fatty acids)
4) Stick at it for a long time

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have more comments on at least some of these questions (and can probably give you better answers, but hopefully that's at least a start).