PDA

View Full Version : What's more important after a workout?

Jack Benson
09-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Protein or Carbs?

Both?

Jabberwocky
09-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I was always kind of under the impression carbs pre workout, protein post.

getfit
09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
i think you need both carbs and protein.During weight training you use muscle glycogen stores to fuel the workout So they must be replenished for muscle recovery as well as growth and repair

Jack Benson
09-23-2004, 05:46 PM
What's enough for postworkout?

I usually drink about 40g protiein, and a bagle.

Is just 1 banana enough, cause I have nothing else to eat right now?

GMCtrk
09-23-2004, 06:07 PM
my preworkout is as such: 2-3 hours before I have pasta. 15 minutes prior I eat a bannana

Post-workout I have 50g protein mixed with water

waynis
09-23-2004, 08:19 PM
both and some fat. I usually take my protein shake and eat a banana after a workout. Then a hour later when im hungry I eat a full meal of carbs, fats and proteins.

Vido
09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
both and some fat. I usually take my protein shake and eat a banana after a workout. Then a hour later when im hungry I eat a full meal of carbs, fats and proteins.

What purpose does the fat serve?

Owen
09-23-2004, 10:16 PM
My post workout is a protein shake made up of:

1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup strawberry yogurt
38 grams whey protein

cals=690, prot=38 g, fat=30 g, carb=67 g

GMCtrk
09-23-2004, 11:04 PM

You want to eat your banana before your workout. Good look up the reason people buy gatorate.... :read:

Vido
09-24-2004, 01:41 AM
My post workout is a protein shake made up of:

1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup strawberry yogurt
38 grams whey protein

cals=690, prot=38 g, fat=30 g, carb=67 g

You don't want fat in your post-workout shake because it slows the absorption of the other nutrients at a time when your body needs them most.

Vido
09-24-2004, 01:42 AM
You want to eat your banana before your workout. Good look up the reason people buy gatorate.... :read:

Why can't he have the banana after the workout? What's with all these statements coming out of people's asses?

GMCtrk
09-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Why can't he have the banana after the workout? What's with all these statements coming out of people's asses?

This does not come out of my ass FYI. Maybe you should go look up something called the Sodium-Potassium Pump....kinda important ;)

Vido
09-24-2004, 01:58 AM
This does not come out of my ass FYI. Maybe you should go look up something called the Sodium-Potassium Pump....kinda important ;)

If you're worried about something like that I hope to hell you're JACKED, and trying to take your physique to the next level. If you are, then I apologize. If not, then you're just one of the hundreds of people on this board who fret over the most pointless things.

In any event, have a banana pre-workout...have it post-workout...have it during the workout, it doesn't really matter.

geoffgarcia
09-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Protein? or Carbs? or Both?both

solid foods take so long to digest (3-8 hours just to leave the stomach!!!), I wouldn't consider them a good idea as part of any pre or post workout plan within an hour of exercising...

galileo
09-24-2004, 08:32 AM
If your preworkout intake is sufficient, your post workout can most certainly be solid food.

sublime99
09-24-2004, 09:23 AM
My pre is balanced and eaten 2hours before my workout and my post is well balanced also and eaten within an hour of working out. :thumbup:

AllUp
09-24-2004, 09:55 AM
both

solid foods take so long to digest (3-8 hours just to leave the stomach!!!), I wouldn't consider them a good idea as part of any pre or post workout plan within an hour of exercising...
The time to digest the food.
:thumbup:
Good point that many people seem to overloook.

For post w/o you can't beat liquids before solids, whether the liquid be a protein shake, or a carb beverage. :o

galileo
09-24-2004, 09:58 AM
For post w/o you can't beat liquids before solids, whether the liquid be a protein shake, or a carb beverage. :o

Again, that's the case only when your pre/during workout nutrition is not up to par. Liquids digest fast, but probably not as fast as you'd think.

geoffgarcia
09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Again, that's the case only when your pre/during workout nutrition is not up to par. Liquids digest fast, but probably not as fast as you'd think.while its true they might not be taken up any faster in the intestines, they do get through your stomach in under an hour, I think there are a bunch of sources on the web that show this. So I think they have a leg-up on solid foods by a good 2-7 hours as they don't need as much processing to turn into chyme

galileo
09-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Right, so if you are taking in said liquids before and during your workout, they will be in your intestines and ready at the point you first need them. After your workout, you begin your solid food consumption, which will again be ready as needed.

waynis
09-24-2004, 10:26 AM

yes that might help but I eat my banana after workout for some sugar and a little bit of carbs. It serves it's purpose. Also if you have done a lot of cardio and your a bit dehydrated that potassium will help after workout as well. Gatorade is not necessary unless your completly dehydrated and have nothing else to eat or drink. And I'll eat a banana after workout if I feel like it, not like its harming me. Thankyou for your post :rolleyes:

galileo
09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
yes that might help but I eat my banana after workout for some sugar and a little bit of carbs. It serves it's purpose. Also if you have done a lot of cardio and your a bit dehydrated that potassium will help after workout as well. Gatorade is not necessary unless your completly dehydrated and have nothing else to eat or drink. And I'll eat a banana after workout if I feel like it, not like its harming me. Thankyou for your post :rolleyes:

Actually, gatorade is used because it has a very good blend of sugars, combined with the right proportion of water:carb. I can think of a few situations where it would be ideal. You can eat your banana post workout and it won't help or hurt, but you're very misguided on the extent of your nutritional knowledge. To say that it is "not necessary unless your[sic] completly[sic] dehydrated and have nothing else to eat or drink," is just flat-out wrong.

But thank you for your post. :)

Maki Riddington
09-24-2004, 12:29 PM
If I had to choose one, I'd go with protein post workout.

Hockey66
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
I have a question about pre workout meals and I don't feel like making a new thread.

At school our lunch is at 12 and I usually eat a couple high carb/protein wraps or sandwiches. My teachers don't allow us to eat in class so I don't get to eat next until 3:30 (another wrap or sandwich) during my walk to the gym (right after school is the only time i have to go with hockey and stuff like that). Is that sufficient for a pre-workout meal, I only get to eat about 4 hours before I go and 10 minutes before I go.

Maki Riddington
09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Your pre workout meal is fine.

Vido
09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I have a question about pre workout meals and I don't feel like making a new thread.

At school our lunch is at 12 and I usually eat a couple high carb/protein wraps or sandwiches. My teachers don't allow us to eat in class so I don't get to eat next until 3:30 (another wrap or sandwich) during my walk to the gym (right after school is the only time i have to go with hockey and stuff like that). Is that sufficient for a pre-workout meal, I only get to eat about 4 hours before I go and 10 minutes before I go.

You never said what you're eating for that second meal, so I'm not going to say it's sufficient. The timing of the meals, however, is perfectly fine.

AllUp
09-24-2004, 01:33 PM

You have a locker in which you can stash food for in-between classes, don't you? :p

geoffgarcia
09-24-2004, 04:14 PM

do they let you go to the bathroom?
Carry a shaker cup with the powder in it, add water, shake, drink, leave bathroom....it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds...
while they might not allow you to eat some teachers will allow you to drink...

Vido
09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't get it. He eats at 12, then he eats at 3:30...that's perfectly acceptable. Why does he have to have food in his locker or go to the bathroom or whatever?

Bruise Brubaker
09-24-2004, 05:19 PM
If he eats at 12, let's say he finish eating everything at 12:30, that's 3 hours between his meals which is perfect in my opinion.

Vido
09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
You're not going to die if you don't eat food every 3 hours...

ryuage
09-25-2004, 08:17 AM
You're not going to die if you don't eat food every 3 hours...

yes you will! :D

Rik-s
09-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Snack meal 2 hrs before workout, Apple and a protien shake 30 mins pre-workout. Bannana, protien shake/L-Glut/dextrose post-workout. 30 mins later MAIN MEAL :D

Manveet
09-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I usually have this

30g dextrose + 1/2 scoop protein pre-workout

30g dextrose + 1 scoop protein post-workout.

But quite honestly, it really doesn't matter if you have a pre/post workout shake. As long as you are eating enough calories for growth you're fine.

waynis
09-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Actually, gatorade is used because it has a very good blend of sugars, combined with the right proportion of water:carb. I can think of a few situations where it would be ideal. You can eat your banana post workout and it won't help or hurt, but you're very misguided on the extent of your nutritional knowledge. To say that it is "not necessary unless your[sic] completly[sic] dehydrated and have nothing else to eat or drink," is just flat-out wrong.

But thank you for your post. :)

umm...theres nothing you cannot eat that will replace what gatorade does to you. It's not some miracle product. What- sodium, potassium, sugar and carbs. You can't get that in a meal? Yes it can be benificial to athletes and anytime your using up a lot of energy when you don't have time for a meal.. I'am not questioning that. It's just not all its cracked up to be. I have no clue how you can argue that. :confused:

Eating a banana after workout does have some benificial aspects. If you've done a lot of cardio the potassium can help get you hydrated faster. Plus a small amount of sugar and carbs will help get the protein to your muscles faster. I don't even know why I have to reply to this.

galileo
09-25-2004, 03:46 PM
umm...theres nothing you cannot eat that will replace what gatorade does to you. It's not some miracle product. What- sodium, potassium, sugar and carbs. You can't get that in a meal? Yes it can be benificial to athletes and anytime your using up a lot of energy when you don't have time for a meal.. I'am not questioning that. It's just not all its cracked up to be. I have no clue how you can argue that. :confused:

Eating a banana after workout does have some benificial aspects. If you've done a lot of cardio the potassium can help get you hydrated faster. Plus a small amount of sugar and carbs will help get the protein to your muscles faster. I don't even know why I have to reply to this.

You attacked him for saying gatorade was better than a banana, which in fact it would be. I think you're mistaking a recommendation to use gatorade for someone supporting a sports drink just because it is a commercial product. Almost any dilute carbohydrate drink has a favorable blend of sugars when compared to the banana, plus it contains the same electrolytes in appropriate ratios.

What I'm wondering, is what you feel it is "cracked up to be?" If you are implying that because Michael Jordan drinks it, the "common man" must think it is good then perhaps you are right, but you are far out of the scope of a TV watching layman in this conversation. I make my recommendations based on how various sugars affect the body and how one would optimize their nutrition around the discussed window of time.

RichLockyer
09-25-2004, 04:10 PM
What purpose does the fat serve?
Transport mechanism for nutrients.

galileo
09-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Transport mechanism for nutrients.

I've heard of another one of those before. I believe it was called "insulin."

_-_v_-_
09-25-2004, 04:41 PM

Galilio: 1. World: 0.

[MK Announcer Voice]Flawless Victory!!![/MK Announcer Voice]

Vido
09-25-2004, 04:58 PM

:withstupi

waynis
09-25-2004, 05:11 PM
You attacked him for saying gatorade was better than a banana, which in fact it would be. I think you're mistaking a recommendation to use gatorade for someone supporting a sports drink just because it is a commercial product. Almost any dilute carbohydrate drink has a favorable blend of sugars when compared to the banana, plus it contains the same electrolytes in appropriate ratios.

What I'm wondering, is what you feel it is "cracked up to be?" If you are implying that because Michael Jordan drinks it, the "common man" must think it is good then perhaps you are right, but you are far out of the scope of a TV watching layman in this conversation. I make my recommendations based on how various sugars affect the body and how one would optimize their nutrition around the discussed window of time.

damn dude. Saying gatorade is not necessary is not attacking someone. Give it up man. I don't know where your going with this. You like to argue or what? I don't give a **** about comparing a banana to gatorade . That was not the topic of this thread.

What I mean that it's not all cracked up to be is exactly where I posted the ingredients in gatorade you can get out of a meal. Do I have to repeat myself twice for you to get it? Gatorade serves a purpose. I understand how it can be benificial. It's not a mandatory sport supplement though.. jeez.

galileo
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Gatorade is not necessary unless your completly dehydrated and have nothing else to eat or drink. And I'll eat a banana after workout if I feel like it, not like its harming me. Thankyou for your post :rolleyes:

Given your statement that gatorade is only good for someone who is dehydrated without any other means of sustenance, followed by your petty mordacity, ridiculing his post, I would most certainly say that your intentions weren't simply to [mis]inform.

I don't like to argue, I like to provide lucidity.

darkdan
09-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Both.

You want some good protein for obvious reasons.

You also want some carbs for an insulin spike.

waynis
09-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Given your statement that gatorade is only good for someone who is dehydrated without any other means of sustenance, followed by your petty mordacity, ridiculing his post, I would most certainly say that your intentions weren't simply to [mis]inform.

I don't like to argue, I like to provide lucidity.

ridiculing his post? wtf man? This thread is not about gatorade. The original person you started this thread mentioned nothing about gatorade. Agan where are you going?

galileo
09-26-2004, 11:06 AM
ridiculing his post? wtf man? This thread is not about gatorade. The original person you started this thread mentioned nothing about gatorade. Agan where are you going?

I'm just going to assume you're mentally handicapped and move on.

waynis
09-26-2004, 02:33 PM
real mature attacking me now. Find something better to do with your time :read:

galileo
09-26-2004, 03:27 PM
real mature attacking me now. Find something better to do with your time :read:

Thanks for the laugh!