PDA

View Full Version : "Cheat Days" and Leptin

Big Worm
11-01-2001, 05:10 PM
We all know that cheat days/meals are important when cutting.
Some say it helps kickstart you metabolism and others say its simply necessary to help cravings and keep us sane. I recently ran across some interesting articles about this which points to the protein leptin(which acts as a hormone) as central in this process and why we need cheat days in order to keep fat loss from reaching a plateau. I highly recommend checking out these two articles, they are both great reads. The first one goes into details about how to structure cheat days and how often they should occur and so on. These articles should be great news for all of us who are cutting.(I certainly feel good knowing that its not just ok to cheat but necessary.) The second one I got from an Elite fitness thread.(Its good to know that some guys over there know what they are talking about)

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

http://www.avantlabs.com/issue3/big_mfr_issue_3.htm

codei
11-01-2001, 07:43 PM
i think theres an element to truth in what youre saying.. about once every two weeks we'll get pizza and ill have that (tons of cheese) and pop, the next day its very visible that my definition increased.

Wizard
11-02-2001, 02:49 AM
You can also try doing a search at the yahoo talkboards.It has very good info about leptin.

nejar462
11-07-2001, 10:09 PM
are these "cheat days" really carb loading days. BEcause that would make a whole lot of sense.

Big Worm
11-07-2001, 10:25 PM
well, it is recommended to focus on carb intake but this is not simply because of carb loading effects. Of course since most people restrict carbs when they diet some of these excess carbs will be used to restore glycogen levels but the benefits of cheat days and increased carb intake as well as above maintainance caloric intake are more than just simply carb loading since it seems that both increased carb intake and increased caloric intake(regardless of where these calories come from) are correlated with increased leptin levels(which in turn inreases energy expenditure and decreases appetite)

Wizard
11-12-2001, 11:04 AM
Just to add that increased dosages of omega 3s have been demonstrated to reduce leptin levels and increase loss of body fat mass in both rodent and human subjects.

Similar effects have Zinc and VitE.

Marcel
11-12-2001, 11:20 PM
carb load ala ckd very high carbs 1 gram protein per lb. and no extra fat. no fat if you carb load!

Marcel
11-12-2001, 11:22 PM
I've tried the carb load clean strict and not so strict....clean and strict most definetly! Don't try to do a carb load eating "junk food".

Wizard
11-12-2001, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Marcel
carb load ala ckd very high carbs 1 gram protein per lb. and no extra fat. no fat if you carb load!
I totally agree!
Consuming junk food(aka a ton of fat) will lead to fat gain.