PDA

View Full Version : how many cals and protein shoulds i be having each day?

Matt04
09-25-2004, 02:55 AM
Hi im 16 5"9 and 131lb.

i am working out again and i am woudering how much protein and cals i should intake each day so that i can get big and get the full benefit of the GYM.

Thanks, Matt

Shad
09-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Here's a calculation overview.

Calories:
("your weight here" x .65) 24 = calories (this is how many calories you will burn in a day, by living, walking sleeping; average daily activities. Base your calorie intake around this, this obviously doesnt include your training sessions)

* if you are a less active person, replace .65 with .42, dont lie to yourself, this will only help you count your calories.

Protein:
("calorie intake per day, should be close to suggested amount" x .53)/4 = suggested protein intake per day

Carbohydrates:
("calorie intake per day, should be close to suggested amount" x .35)/4 = suggested carb intake per day

Fat:
("calorie intake per day, should be close to suggested amount" x .10)/9 = suggested fat intake per day (g)

if you are trying to bulk make sure your actual calorie intake is very close to calories burned per day (1st equation)

if you are trying to loose weight, which it really doesnt look like you need to, keep your calorie intake well below calories burned per day.

- according to Max-OT program

btw im 16 too, 5'11 180 lbs, currently slimming. to a hopeful 165lbs @ 5% bf.

hope thats easy to understand.

Vido
09-25-2004, 03:50 PM
10% of your calories from fat is pretty low. I'd shoot for 25-30%.

Matt04
09-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know of a website which lists most foods and the stats for each foods. or does anyone know whatr foods have many cals and carbs.

And i worked out the figures:

cals=1400+
protein=190+
carbs=130+
fats=16+

is this right? and is this ontop of what i already eat or should this be how much i intake each day?

CiteCollegiale
09-25-2004, 05:52 PM
www.fitday.com

Vido
09-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know of a website which lists most foods and the stats for each foods. or does anyone know whatr foods have many cals and carbs.

And i worked out the figures:

cals=1400+
protein=190+
carbs=130+
fats=16+

is this right? and is this ontop of what i already eat or should this be how much i intake each day?

If that's supposedly what you should be taking in each day, then "NO" it is not right at all...that's way too low. I would suggest, given your size, starting at around 2600 calories. As for a caloric breakdown, I'd suggest going close to isocaloric, so approximately 210 g protein, 210g carbs, and 100g fat.

Sug
09-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Just get a good amount workouts per week and eat 3000 calories or so. If you dont really gain anything for a couple of weeks, then I'd increase the intake. If your gettin too fat and your belles growing like mad, then cut the calories down. Just be consistant, take some measurements of your muscles and belly, to check the progress as the weeks, months or even years go on.

Shad
09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
k well first of all since you are bulking, use the .62 formula which changes your whole thing around..

and yes those figures are right vido, unless your trying to dispute members of team-universe body builders.

dont assume just b/c every 1 intakes 3000 calories per day you have to also. Your smaller, so much extra energy will make you gain fat.

this is how much you should be eating every day...and also the 10% of fat coming from calories is a wise idea only because it saves you from cutting a whole lot, and this is assuming you are not eating healthy fats; which unless you are a hardcore calorie counter you probably would not end up calculating how much of saturated fat, etc... you are eating.

Vido
09-28-2004, 02:27 PM
and yes those figures are right vido, unless your trying to dispute members of team-universe body builders.

I don't even know if a chipmunk could bulk on 1400 calories.

Shad
09-28-2004, 05:47 PM
welll if we were reading my whole post, mabye that reponse wouldve changed...

i said he was calculating incorrectly. Whats wrong with you...jesus read for a change

Beholder
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Quick queston regarding caloritic intake, how many calories is there in 1 gram of protein and fat and carb???

Vido
09-29-2004, 05:18 PM
protein and carbs: 4 calories/gram
fat: 9 calories/gram

Owen
09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
nutritiondata.com has a list of foods and their nutrient breakdowns. Go to the site map link on the page and that will take you to the lists of foods.
Personally I cant believe how complicated putting together a daily menu can be.
Thats what Im working on right now. Seriously Im about to jump out a window :-)