PDA

View Full Version : Would it be fine to drink Olive Oil?

Den Fisher
09-25-2004, 06:08 PM
120 calories per tbsp.

total fat 14g

that's all.. or would this be a bad idea to take about 8 tbsp's everyday?

Ok, I just read up in "what a bodybuilder eats" it's listed there, but for about as much as 1,000 cals of it a day?

Thanks!

Vido
09-25-2004, 06:54 PM
I personally think it is a good idea, and have even recommended it those wishing to increase their caloric intake.

RBC13
09-25-2004, 07:30 PM
That is a terrible idea. Everything in moderation. There are tons of foods out there for every category you need.

RBC13
09-25-2004, 07:37 PM
After looking at your fitday, your diet need A LOT of work. 16 Tablespoons of peanut butter? 6 whole eggs plus tons of meat. Cholesterol off the roof. That's 5 times what is ok. No veggies, limited fruits, lack of variety in nuts/seeds, lack of omega 3 and other polys, and plain out overdoses are your primary problems. You need to do a lot of reading up buddy.

Stray
09-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Agreed - fat shouldn't make up over 50% of your daily intake dude.

Den Fisher
09-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Ok, but maybe 2-3 tbsp's a day wouldn't be bad would it?

I just had 2 a little while ago.. and I'm still feeling sick from it now. :alcoholic

Vido
09-25-2004, 08:17 PM
After looking at your fitday, your diet need A LOT of work. 16 Tablespoons of peanut butter? 6 whole eggs plus tons of meat. Cholesterol off the roof. That's 5 times what is ok. No veggies, limited fruits, lack of variety in nuts/seeds, lack of omega 3 and other polys, and plain out overdoses are your primary problems. You need to do a lot of reading up buddy.

I agree with some things here, but not the cholesterol. 5 times what is ok according to whom? If you say it's 5 times the RDA, then please stop posting advice on a bodybuilding board.

Den Fisher
09-25-2004, 08:50 PM

I'm struggling to find stuff to get the right amount of calories needed a day. I have vegies. But all canned, and to hell with that.. I already eat enough sodium. But tomorrow I'll make sure to stock up on apples, bananas, and lots of frozen vegies.

waynis
09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
even too much good fat can be bad. I wouldn't do more then 2 tablespoons a day along with your other fats.

Vido
09-25-2004, 09:02 PM
and you wonder why most people on this site aren't that big...

Den Fisher
09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
What do you guys suggest I get and eat?

Since I guess my fat intake is too high.

What's high in calories but low in fat and so forth? I could eat a pile of eggs and chicken breasts, but that would be an excessive load of protein.

So tomorrow I guess I should get more oatmeal, frozen vegies, a pile of skim milk, and bananas.

and natural peanut butter.

Vido
09-25-2004, 09:53 PM
You said you already read "What a Bodybuilder Eats"...there's nothing more to it than that.

RBC13
09-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Vido, I was just mentioning that egg yolks and meat have a lot of cholesterol, and our body doesn't need any as it produces enough. I heard our brain is made of cholesterol, strange.

Here is an example of what to eat, or at least my grocery list:Qty. Item Specification Qty. Item Specification
__ White Corn Ears __ Green Peas
__ Fresh Broccoli __ Flaxseeds
__ Fresh Green Beans __ Dry Curd Cottage cheese
__ Sweet Potatoes __ Spinach
__ Mushrooms __ Fresh Pumpkin
__ Carrots __ Alaskan Cod
__ Head of Lettuce __ 30 Pack of Eggs
__ Squash/Zucchini __ Tilapia
__ Tomatoes __ 99% Lean Chicken
__ Red Bell Peppers __ 96% Lean Hamburger
__ Bananas __ Pork Chops
__ Oranges __ 98% Lean Ham
__ Cantaloupe __ 99% Lean Turkey
__ Honeydew __ Nonfat Milk
__ Watermelon __ Orange Juice
__ Grapes __ Soybeans
__ Strawberries __ Plain Nonfat yogurt
__ Pineapple __ Almonds
__ Blueberries __ Peanuts
__ Cranberries __ Walnuts
__ Lemons __ Pecans
__ Olives __ Hazelnuts
__ Canned Green Beans __ Cashews
__ Brown Rice __ Sunflower seeds
__ Yeast __ Pumpkin/Squash seeds
__ Whole Wheat Flour(King Arthurís) __ Millet
__ Gigantic Oats __ Quinoa
__ Beans

And my fitday is http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=RBC13 if you wanna see how i distribute them.

Vido
09-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Wow, that's an amazingly good diet for a 17-year old. I notice, however, that your calories seem to go up and down. I'm not sure if this intentional or not, but at your stats I would be aiming for at least 2800 cals/day (which you do hit on some days, but not on others) on your bulk.

As for cholesterol, your body's cholesterol is going to be affected primarily by saturated fat intake, not the actual dietary cholesterol found in foods.

RBC13
09-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Thx, actually im on a cut now. I don't really want to lose weight, but i have to shed a few pounds to lose fat. This is my 6th or 7th week, and i figure i'll go a month or so more, or until my abs get more defined. 140 is the absolute limit to as low as ill go. Then i will start adding 500 calories a week, and start bulking.

I've been eating about 2200-2300 cal a day for the last 6 weeks, and the last 2 weeks without a refeed or much energy, so i figured i would eat normal for a couple of days to gain more energy and since what i have read about refeeds.

Yea, saturated fat intake is a big hit on cholesterol. I've been getting under 10 grams a day, with 20-30 for each mono and poly(7 plus of omega 3).

Den Fisher
09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Ok, so I guess when I go shopping today.. I better get wheat bread, nuts of some kind, lots of fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt.

And then that should eliminate me from having to eat so much fat to get my recommended calories for the day.. because I have tons of tuna and chicken breasts to feast on for tuna.

EDIT:
What's this Quinoa stuff you're taking?

CiteCollegiale
09-26-2004, 10:32 AM
yea i take 2 tablespoons a day good source of mono and poly unsaturated fats

RBC13
09-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Don't feel like you have to get those types of foods just because i posted them. Eat foods that are healthy and what you like. No specific diet fits everyone. We all have different factors.

I've been reading about Quinoa(pronounced keen-wa), and decided to get some at the bulk section yesterday. It comes in little balls, and looks like bird food. The taste isnt terrible, but i wouldn' t recommend it unless you have passed the taste stage in eating. LOl. I just want it because it has tons of nutrients, and has almost no fiber consdered to everything else. I get almost 50 grams of fiber on 2200 calories easy, and when i do bulk i don't want to hibernate to the bathroom. I think i'll do Oats, Wheat bread(homemade with fresh pumpkin or frozen cranberries, my preference), Brown Rice, Millet, possible Quinoa, and some pasta for my grains.

For the items listed i will post some cautions:
Wheat Bread(look for 100 percent whole wheat, no sugar/partially hydrogentated oil, preferably a health store)
Cottage cheese with no sugar added, or dry curd with nonfat milk as only ingredient(very hard to find)
Yogurt: Nothing added except for live and active bacteria cultures. Most nonfat yogurts are half sugar. You want to look for one gram of protein for every 10 calories.
Flax seeds ground if possible or oil(don't apply to heat or light or becomes toxic): You hear everybody talking about omega 3, here's your answer.

These foods aren't the tastiest on the planet, but you will/can grow to love them.

Nito
09-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Wow, you get really low carb intake, mine is like 300 + carbs a day :P

CiteCollegiale
09-26-2004, 12:01 PM
I thought all cottage cheese had sugar RBC

RBC13
09-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Well i was referring to no added sugar. But dry curd has almost no sugar, and all protein just about. 125 cal 25 grams of protein with little fat and some carbs.

Den Fisher
09-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Ok, went shopping today and got some more stuff.. hopefully my fitday will look better for now on.

Stray
09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Read this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19

Den Fisher
09-26-2004, 07:25 PM
So I should try to get my calories to be categorized like 35% from fats, 35% from carbs, and the remaining 30% from protein? Does that sound good? Check out my fitday for today and see if that's considered a day.

Or if 35% from fats is too much, then 40% carbs, 30% fat? :scratch:

Vido
09-26-2004, 07:29 PM
So I should try to get my calories to be categorized like 35% from fats, 35% from carbs, and the remaining 30% from protein? Does that sound good? Check out my fitday for today and see if that's considered a day.

Or if 35% from fats is too much, then 40% carbs, 30% fat? :scratch:

That's basically isocaloric (33/33/33), which is what many recommend.

Your diet today looked quite good.

Den Fisher
09-26-2004, 07:37 PM
That's basically isocaloric (33/33/33), which is what many recommend.

Your diet today looked quite good.

Awesome.

I never realised I was taking in that much fat before. :/

GMCtrk
09-26-2004, 09:34 PM
I eat 1-2 tbsp of natural PB in the morning as well as 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil :)