PDA

View Full Version : Does heating Destroy Protein (Powder)

16yr.oldtank
09-26-2004, 02:47 AM
Hello
Does heating DESTROY Protein Powder

I heard that if you heat protein powder (i.e use protein powder in a pancake mix) that it will by destroyed and .
WILL BE USELESS IN THE BODY IN TERMS OF BUILDING MUSCLE!!

is this true..
i was told this by some guy in my gym
(altough, i still use ON 100% WHEY in my pancake mixes)

could someone with some experience in this topic help me out
thankyou

pruneman
09-26-2004, 05:48 AM
pretty sure heating is fine...i cook with protein powder all the time

Holto
09-26-2004, 11:42 AM
heating whey denatures it

soy is better for heating

those low carb pancake mixes use soy flour

pusher
09-26-2004, 11:53 AM
yes it is denatured as Holto said, but the amino acids are still bioavailable.

Vapour Trails
09-27-2004, 04:54 PM
yes it is denatured as Holto said, but the amino acids are still bioavailable.

Exactly. As soon as an egg hits a hot pan it turns white because all the protein denatures (changes structure) and no longer allows light to pass, but all the amino acids are still there.

geoffgarcia
09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Let there be no mistake about it, heat damages protein. Especially whey protein. Heat processing ruptures and reforms protein molecules. It's called denaturing, and it makes digestion and absorption difficult.

Scientific studies clearly show that when heat is used to dry protein it burns thousands of cross-linked bonds into the original amino acid structure. When this denatured protein is ingested, the enzymes in your intestines work overtime to break it down. It takes awhile, and for many can be quite uncomfortable. When all is said and done, little protein is actually absorbed and any resulting nitrogen retention is negligible. The worst thing about drying whey protein in this manner is that it destroys highly valuable immunoglobulin fractions.

It's also a fact that using heat is the quickest and cheapest way to produce protein powder.

Proteins commonly heat-processed include egg white, lactalbumin, casein and more "big ticket" whey brands than you'd imagine. Some dress it up and call it "low-temperature" drying. We say heat is heat. Other so-called ionic whey products mix in cheaper proteins to cut costs and the bottom tier (usually sold in 5 lb. jugs) are "short processed". Many of these spec out at only 50-70% actual protein and contain loads of fat, lactose and carbs. http://www.musclemass.com/masspro.html

but dont stress on it...every thing you eat that contains protein is cooked most likely, with the exception of sushi grade fish, or you loco SOB's that eat the regular supermarket grade fish raw! ;)