PDA

View Full Version : Are there any protein bars that actually taste decent?

fixationdarknes
09-29-2004, 09:12 PM
I am asking this because most of the protein bars I eat don't taste very good. I was wondering if you guys have found any that are decent-tasting. I mean, it doesn't have to taste like a Reese's but I just want it to have some sort of good taste that makes me actually WANT to eat it, not have to FORCE myself to eat it.

Also, I would need to buy these over-the-counter.

Mannequin
09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Detour Bars
One Way Bars
Pure Protein Bars
lemme know when to stop...

Actually there are several good bars out there nowadays. You shouldn't be too hard up to find one. The problem soon becomes an addiction to the bars themselves. Damn Detour Bars! You may wanna avoid this all together and go for the tuna

Frozenmoses
09-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Mannequin speaks the truth. Detour bars are teh shizzle.

maverick9614
09-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey, found a new one out there called Revolution. I know Albertson's carries it (yeah, great place to g shopping for protein bars, but anyway) for 2.79. 32 G protein, tastes like a snickers without the nuts and has only three net carbs if you're into that theory. About 280 calories I think it was.

Good stuff though.

RichLockyer
09-29-2004, 10:28 PM
I like the Pro Max line, but gotta be careful on the flavor. The darker ones like fudge and mint are WAY too heavy-feeling, and can be too rubbery.
My favorites are Chocolate Caramel Crunch, which is VERY "tender" and just melts (reminds me of a Reeses), and Nutty Butter Crisp, which reminds me of a Nestle's Crunch bar.
Yogurt Honey Peanut is a white coating and is very light feeling (they're all the same calories, but some feel heavier).

Ones to watch out for are Chocolate Mint, Double Fudge Brownie, and Mocha Blast. If they're the slightest bit cold they're like chewing on a tire.
Rocky Road is okay, Choc. Peanut is good, Cookies and Cream can get a little heavy.

I haven't tried Wild Berry Cheesecake or Black Forest.

They're about 20g of protein, and about 300 cals.

RichLockyer
09-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey, found a new one out there called Revolution. I know Albertson's carries it (yeah, great place to g shopping for protein bars, but anyway) for 2.79. 32 G protein, tastes like a snickers without the nuts and has only three net carbs if you're into that theory. About 280 calories I think it was.

So.... if it's only 3 net carbs, where's the other 140 calories coming from? I hope not fat (which is WAY too common in "low carb" foods).

fixationdarknes
09-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Alright, I'll try some of those out. Thanks.

Vido
09-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I like the Pro Max line

Those are delicious, but...they're PACKED with simple sugars. 20g of protein isn't even really that much. These are basically just glorified candy bars.

Dirt
09-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't eat bars anymore, but I've had my fair share before and I have to say that I like the MetRx ones. Can't rememebr the flavours but pretty much any one I had was good. As for over the counter I'm pretty sure you can just pick them up at 7-11 or any store like that.

fixationdarknes
09-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Can I buy detour bars at a local store? Or must they be ordered online? :(

RichLockyer
09-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I noticed the sugar but didn't think much of it :)
So what's the deal with Powerbars? Those things taste like a$$.

Vido
09-30-2004, 12:33 AM
So what's the deal with Powerbars? Those things taste like a$$.

lol, that's a good point. I'm not sure how you can load something up with sugar so much and still have it taste that poorly.

RichLockyer
09-30-2004, 01:21 AM
lol, that's a good point. I'm not sure how you can load something up with sugar so much and still have it taste that poorly.
Hehe... it was BARELY fun watching Pamela Anderson eat them on Baywatch :D

abwowang
09-30-2004, 01:42 AM
why bars man..
all it is is extra carbs and fat and sugars.. ew..
go for tuna..

maverick9614
09-30-2004, 07:50 AM
So.... if it's only 3 net carbs, where's the other 140 calories coming from? I hope not fat (which is WAY too common in "low carb" foods).

81 is coming from fat, the rest is carb but coming from malitol and the such

ryuage
09-30-2004, 09:15 AM
detour - came out with a few new flavors
lean body
metrx big 100
nitro tech

galileo
09-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Trioplex are good, but they may not live up to label claims (as a lot don't).

tidusffx
09-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Personally I stopped buying them...When you look at the cost per gram of protein compared to some other sources it's just not worth it. For me bars cost about $0.12 per gram of protein, whey powder is like $0.03 per gram of protein and tuna is less then $0.01 per gram of protein. On top of that you get all that extra junk and the nutritional claims of most of these bars are questionable.

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents :soapbox:

Vido
09-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Personally I stopped buying them...When you look at the cost per gram of protein compared to some other sources it's just not worth it. For me bars cost about $0.12 per gram of protein, whey powder is like $0.03 per gram of protein and tuna is less then $0.01 per gram of protein. On top of that you get all that extra junk and the nutritional claims of most of these bars are questionable.

:withstupi The only reason to even consider bars is for convenience, but even then you'd have to pretty lazy to not mix up a shake and grab a handful of nuts.

toughguywannabe
09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
i think bars are over priced.. but i used to eat a bar a day in between my classes b/c i had no time to go home and cook something.. i ate designer bars they were pretty good but pretty expencive..

Aoeteroa
10-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Detour bars for sure bro. Go for the Coconut and Caramel flavours.

Cant go wrong

HemiVision
10-01-2004, 11:01 AM
WheyDelicious taste pretty good to me. Kind of a chocolate/coffee flavour.

PowerBar ProteinPlus are pretty good if you get the peanut butter / chocolate ones.

fixationdarknes
10-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I need bars because like toughguywannabe said, I am at school and I can't just bring my whole kitchen to school. I gotta go to class, yo.

Okay, it seems like a lot of you guys like Detour Bars. But can you buy these in local stores? I really don't think my parents will let me order them online. They never want me buying anything online. I don't know why...

Vido
10-01-2004, 10:22 PM
A protein shake and a handful of nuts is a much better option.

If you're set on the bars though, yes, you should be able to find them at local stores...online is always cheaper though.

fixationdarknes
10-01-2004, 11:30 PM
A protein shake and a handful of nuts is a much better option.

If you're set on the bars though, yes, you should be able to find them at local stores...online is always cheaper though.

But I'm at school. I can't have a shake at school. But I do bring nuts to school. :cool:

Alright, where's the best place to buy detour bars online? Maybe if it's cheap enough my parents will let me order them.

Vido
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Why can't you have a shake at school? You can mix it beforehand...you can carry a water bottle around with you, can't you?

fixationdarknes
10-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Why can't you have a shake at school? You can mix it beforehand...you can carry a water bottle around with you, can't you?

Yeah, I actually never thought of doing that lol. But would the shake go bad or would it "settle" over a period of time? Also, what are some good shake powder stuff to buy? What does everyone here like?

Vido
10-02-2004, 12:20 AM
The shake won't go bad unless you leave it for a period of days. Mix it before you leave in the morning and you'll be fine. If any of the powder settles to the bottom, just shake it up some more before you drink it.

fixationdarknes
10-02-2004, 12:32 AM
The shake won't go bad unless you leave it for a period of days. Mix it before you leave in the morning and you'll be fine. If any of the powder settles to the bottom, just shake it up some more before you drink it.

What is some good shake powder to get? And what are the best flavors?

Vido
10-02-2004, 12:38 AM
I like Optimum. A blend of protein is probably better...you could try At Large's Nitrean.

Chocolate is always the best flavour as far as I'm concerned.

toughguywannabe
10-02-2004, 08:33 AM
don't get vanilla and strawberry u'll be very displeased.. i get all my stuff at vitamin shoppe they had a sell recently.. a 5 lb tub of optimum whey for 20 bucks.. i love the prices there they are super cheap.. do not get anything from GNC i think they are overpriced and ******ed!!

GIS
01-08-2005, 06:07 PM
I've found myself avoiding protein bars. Most taste bad, they're hard to eat, they're hella expensive, and the nutrition content just isn't all that great compared to regular food.

They're convenient, but so are shakes and they're easier to take/cheaper/can be more nutritious.