PDA

View Full Version : First Time Deadlifting

slyskamps
09-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd heard so many great things about deadlifting that I thought I would give it a shot today. Under the supervision of one of the gym proctors that I take boxing classes with, I completed my first properly executed dead lift. These are my numbers (I know they are low, but hey you have to start somewhere):
Set 1: 135lbx8
Set 2: 225lbx5
Set 3: 225lbx5
Set 4: 225lbx5
Set 5: 225lbx5

After toying with a few lifting positions, I found that the wider stance of the sumo style is the most comfortable for me (i.e. no banging on my knees). This has to be one of the best exercises that I have done. I LOVE IT! :D
I haven't been powerlifting for a very long time but I think I am becoming an addict. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Happy lifting!

BigNic
09-30-2004, 07:17 PM
make sure that as a beginner in deadlifting you continue to experiment with different styles. When i first started i too prefered wide sumo stance, however as ive pulled more and more i ve changed into a closer conventional stance. Thats great for your first time, good luck with it.

slyskamps
09-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Do you guys take a second between reps to get technique right or do you just crank 'em out?

biggimp
10-01-2004, 12:52 AM
i do both, but i dont think it matters much as long as you dont take too long between reps.

and just make sure you use good form, its really important when you deadlift.

Saint Patrick
10-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Deadlifts are a grown-ass-man excercise.

slyskamps
10-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Deadlifts are a grown-ass-man excercise.

After my first experience with them I would have to agree. You know what's weird though, I go to the Golds Gym in Clemson, SC and I have been going there almost every weekday since school started and I have never ONCE seen anybody do any form of deadlifting, squatting, or cleans. grrr...finding another grown-ass-man to lift with is going to be a pain...

biggimp, thanks for the info on the repping. That is exactly what I was hoping.

BigNic
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
After my first experience with them I would have to agree. You know what's weird though, I go to the Golds Gym in Clemson, SC and I have been going there almost every weekday since school started and I have never ONCE seen anybody do any form of deadlifting, squatting, or cleans. grrr...finding another grown-ass-man to lift with is going to be a pain...

biggimp, thanks for the info on the repping. That is exactly what I was hoping.

Lift by yourself bro, its usually easier.

TMC
10-01-2004, 09:44 AM
slyskamps- You should look into working out at the University. They used have a gym called the Dungeon that was different from the students gym. I was a member there and all the guys were serious lifters and are willing to give great advice. Good luck. Go TIGERS