PDA

View Full Version : adding up cals at end of day

AzBboy
09-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi, i was wondering, at the end of the day when its time to tally up all your grub and count how much of everything u got, how do you know how much cals u got? the formula 4cals per gram of carb and protein, and 9cals per gram of fat seems to go against the food label. when u read how much calories the food label says and then do the 4,4,9 rule, the 4,4,9 is always more than the label. so should i start start recording the clories the label states? or go by the 4,4,9? thank you

Spartan936
09-30-2004, 08:48 PM
I suggest www.fitday.com. It's easier for me.

AzBboy
09-30-2004, 10:25 PM
thanx for the suggestion spartan but i dont like fitday, it does help me out sometimes but for the most part i like doin it all manually so i dont have to depend on fitday. any other suggestions?

Frozenmoses
09-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Just curious why you don't like fitday? I don't know what the hell I'd do without it.

nep
10-01-2004, 02:20 AM
follow the labels. theres an explanation for those magical calories, i just cant recall it right now

AzBboy
10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
well there are several reasons why i dont like fitday. manually i tend to learn alot, whereas fitday does most for u. secondly, fitday uses alot of terms i am un familiar with. third, why type in your meal to fitday to get the nutritional makeup which may be off because of all the different makes and brands out there, when you can read the label, and get the exact percentages? fourth, if im not home or somethin i dont have to worry about gettin on fit day to calculate a meal or a potential meal for me. fitday does help me in some ways tho, like sometimes when food labels arent available and i need a estimate how much this unknown mass contains. im not tryin to degrade fitday, its just my opinion that i think its better to be able to do it manually.

Rex
10-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I agree. I like to do it manually too, though I find fitday useful as a reference when food labels are unavailable.

I personally record the calories given on the label. I do not add the number of grams of protein, carbs or fat to get the total number of calories. Frankly, it doesn't really matter which method you decide to use. The most important thing is to consistently use the same method. That way, even if inaccurate (not the true value), it would still be precise (repeatable).

Vido
10-01-2004, 05:26 PM
:withstupi