PDA

View Full Version : Help with pre fight nutrition !

Hellrazor
10-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what would be best to consume on the days before and just before a mixed martial arts fight.

I`m fighting tomorrow and am very lean, I am at the right weight and was thinking of carbing up a little today and all day tomorrow ( if you can call it that ) but I`m worried I`ll weigh in too heavy and loose the six pack (hehe) maybe even have to forefeit the fight. Around how much in water/glycogen would you expect to put on in 2 days ?? around 1 - 2 kg maybe ? I could live with 1k maximum.

Anyways I was thinking 2-3 hours before the fight to consume something low - mod glycemic like porridge oats/wholemeal stuff and right before maybe some fructose/dextrose in water!! Does that sound sensible ?? Any other ideas ?????

Thanx in advance, and hello to anyone who remembers me

:thumbup: jamie

Roark
10-01-2004, 06:53 AM
best of luck to you!

i train mma myself, but i don't see myself jumping in the ring/cage ever.

your plan sounds good to me.

PizDoff
10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Kinda late now, but how did you do?
I think the real difference is the time difference between weigh-in and the actual fights, I've heard/seen boxers that cut weight, and hydrated 10 lbs overnight...

geoffgarcia
10-21-2004, 10:27 AM
I read a fantastic article about a week ago on how pre-contest nutrition has changed over the last 10 years.
The conclusion was there is little need to consume a normal amount of protein or fat within 24 hours of a contest as it wont have time to digest and be properly utilized.
Instead they recommend solid carbs up until 8 hours pre-contest after which its to late for them to be utilized. At that point just water mixed with some dextrose so your not bloated and your body is empty.

personally if I had a competition and wanted to be as lean/ready to go as possible, I'd consider tossing back some colon cleansing pills + fiber to clean you out.
Granted this is NOT something to experiment with the day before the contest.

Also whenever I competed in track I always had butterflies/nausea for 20-30 minutes before a race. I found that a tbsp or 2 or 3 at this time GREATLY reduced this stress and helped me focus.