PDA

View Full Version : hernia

rlt743
10-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I had a double hernia sugery when I was 1 and now I'm in my teens. I'm thinking about seriously powerlifting. I was wondering if lifting big weights would hurt it at all (tear it or cause another hernia)? Is there anything I can do to help prevent another one?

SW
10-02-2004, 08:04 PM
I really don't know man. That would be awfull if you tore one or caused another one. Do they ever bother you these days? What are the symptoms?

BlingMeter
10-02-2004, 10:16 PM
i had hernia surgery when i was in 3rd grade. i just turned 20. u can see what i lift in my sig, at times i do feel paranoid thats its gonna pop out then my mind carries on and it becomes a fake pain lol. dam brain. but iv been heavy lifting for 3-4 yrs now and nothin. pulled my back ,pulled muscles etc etc and never ever had a problem. u should be fine. if ur worried just dont go for those 1 rep max's!
now im paranoid about my groin lol thanks alot!

:D

carlossalsa8
10-04-2004, 04:11 PM
I just went to the doc. and She told me that a small hernia is forming. I have to rest for two months. That's crazy cuz I might go to play pro-soccer, but I was adviced to rest. The pain started after I did my ab workourt. Anyways, I think a hernia would not form if you do not lift lots of weight. As soon as you feel a pain or anything like that, stop lifting and go rest.

BlingMeter
10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
im pretty sure if u dont strain yourself u wont get it again. if u have been lifting heavy weights for a while,. i doubt it would cause anything. the sound of another hernia sucks! i dont remember pain but i remember a nice bulg!

carlossalsa8
10-04-2004, 06:05 PM
The doc. told me to rest and relax. I am really active and can't go to sleep without having done any kind of exercise. I was just wondering if I go run (jog ) for a while, do you think that will do something to the hernia ( I do not know have a hernia but a small one is trying to form )? Also, do you guys know how long does it take the hernia to become unmoveable?

SW
10-04-2004, 06:17 PM
They can become unmoveable? Does that mean "cured" as it can be?

carlossalsa8
10-04-2004, 06:31 PM
They can become unmoveable? Does that mean "cured" as it can be?

There are moveable hernias and unmoveables. The moveable can be cured just by resting and taking medications, while the unmoveable hernias, can be cured only by surgery and sometimes, hernia can't be cured if it is really advanced. I just do not know how long does it take to be unmoveable.

Teh BDK
10-05-2004, 12:27 AM
If it is any help, let me tell you that when I was about 13 I got a mild hernia from doing leg press. I was extremely fat and stupid and ugly at the time, and I'm sure my form wasn't that hot either.

Anyways, it hurt like hell for a number of weeks and the doctor told me it wasn't severe enough to warrant surgery, so we just waited it out without pain killers. I think that the risks of serious pain killers were too high for a kid my age with such a minor injury. It was a bitch, let me tell you.

I started seriously lifting at the age of..oh, 18 or so, and I've never had any problem with it at all. I'm 23 now and still no problems. I've always made sure that my form was as close to perfect as possible and I'm sure that that alone made all the difference in the world. If I were lifting like a jerk I'm certain it would have reopened.

Max-Mex
10-05-2004, 03:46 AM
I had a double hernia sugery when I was 1 and now I'm in my teens. I'm thinking about seriously powerlifting. I was wondering if lifting big weights would hurt it at all (tear it or cause another hernia)? Is there anything I can do to help prevent another one?

Well, you can get a hernia at any age. The previous injury can have an affect, but with proper training, you can keep those risks to a minimum. I'd say if you do jump into PL'ing, then go into it slowly. Let your body get used to moving lighter weight, gradually increasing the weight over time. You also want to make sure you develop a strong core. IMO, do your workouts without support (belts). Using a belt, while it maybe safer, will cause your core to be weaker.

Shad
10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
yah i had 2 hernia operations. both on the right side.

Havent had a problem as of yet, hopefully it wont come up again. I dont think it will re-open unless you put a substancial amount of weight directly on that area.

but id still consult a doctor if i was worried.

LiftAgain
10-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Operation cured my hernia.