PDA

View Full Version : is 75/15/10 ok

akomabutisakama
10-03-2004, 01:36 PM
i am scared as hell of carbs so i have been having a 75/15/10 diet for a few months i have stayed the same weight but gained sum definition is this okay this still means im gaining right

_-_v_-_
10-03-2004, 01:45 PM
75 % protein?

No, it's not OK.

akomabutisakama
10-03-2004, 02:03 PM
protein/carb/fat

Den Fisher
10-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Oh.. well in that case I'll delete my post. :p

But didn't we go over this before about you eating too much protein?

And why are you scared of carbs?

Zearoth
10-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Eat more fats.

Eat more carbs.

Reduce the protein to 1/1.5 per lb of bodyweight.

Vido
10-03-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not a huge fan of carbs either. You do need more fats though. I won't say it's optimal, but I'd see nothing wrong with 55/15/30.

waynis
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
your main energy source is protien? how do you get threw the day? damn. carbs are very important as it is the bodies main source of energy as well as most productive form of energy. I would go atleast 30/50/20-35/45/20
but what are your goals? also remember you need fat to burn fat and build muscle.

Shao-LiN
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Oh.. well in that case I'll delete my post. :p

But didn't we go over this before about you eating too much protein?

And why are you scared of carbs?

Probably buys into the "carbs make you fat" thing.

galileo
10-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Try isocaloric for a while (33/33/33). It "done learned" me how to eat with more variety.

geoffgarcia
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
i am scared as hell of carbs so i have been having a 75/15/10 diet for a few months
is this okay?no

your 13 and only weigh 130 pounds and are fairly scrawny (which is normal at your age)
Point is, the last thing you should be worrying about is fat gain.

If I were in your shoes I'd be aiming to take in 100g of fat per day. To hell with ratios.
And take in 200g of protein, not 700 like you were.
And take in about 300 in carbs
on 2900 calories you should gain about a 1/2 pound per week I'd guess

waynis
10-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Don't you think that's a bit crazy. 100g of fat and and 200g of protein. He's taking in more protein then he wieghs! lol... much of that will never see his muscles. Since he's only 13 I wouldn't be trying to diet but have limits on how much he eats also.

galileo
10-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Don't you think that's a bit crazy. 100g of fat and and 200g of protein. He's taking in more protein then he wieghs! lol... much of that will never see his muscles. Since he's only 13 I wouldn't be trying to diet but have limits on how much he eats also.

Geoff's recommendation is perfectly sound. If you have anything beyond conjecture about why it isn't, please share.

geoffgarcia
10-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Don't you think that's a bit crazy. 100g of fat and and 200g of protein.
He's taking in more protein then he wieghs.
Much of that will never see his muscles. Since he's only 13 I wouldn't be trying to diet but have limits on how much he eats also.
I think nearly everyone on this board takes in more protein than they weigh.
For a bb 1-1.5g per pound is recommended in everything I've read.

high fat to ensure optimal hormone release to fuel his growth.
high protein + carbs (calories) to ensure he packs on the weight and muscle.

His goal is to get huge, so its better to go over than under in terms of nutrition.

Vido
10-05-2004, 03:48 PM
:withstupi

waynis
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
I think nearly everyone on this board takes in more protein than they weigh.
For a bb 1-1.5g per pound is recommended in everything I've read.

high fat to ensure optimal hormone release to fuel his growth.
high protein + carbs (calories) to ensure he packs on the weight and muscle.

His goal is to get huge, so its better to go over than under in terms of nutrition.

I just feel taking too much protein then your body can digest is pointless as it will go to waste or be stored as fat. NOt necessarily huge negatives for a kid his age but there's no need for it. Too much carbs will all turn to sugar at night which is not good if you wanna develop hypoglycemia in the future. Fat is great but too much efa's can have the same effect of saturated fat. Moderation people!I'am not a fan of sacrificing nutrition when bulking.

_-_v_-_
10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Too much of ANYTHING = fat.

You can't alter the laws of thermodynamics, people.

Matt04
10-05-2004, 06:22 PM
when people say you should consume 1/1.5 your body weight in protein is this referring to pounds or kilos? cause i have herd many different opinions.

Vido
10-05-2004, 08:09 PM
when people say you should consume 1/1.5 your body weight in protein is this referring to pounds or kilos? cause i have herd many different opinions.

lbs

Vido
10-05-2004, 08:10 PM
I just feel taking too much protein then your body can digest is pointless as it will go to waste or be stored as fat. NOt necessarily huge negatives for a kid his age but there's no need for it. Too much carbs will all turn to sugar at night which is not good if you wanna develop hypoglycemia in the future. Fat is great but too much efa's can have the same effect of saturated fat. Moderation people!I'am not a fan of sacrificing nutrition when bulking.

So we're not supposed to eat too much protein, can't have too many carbs or fat either...what are we supposed to bulk on?

waynis
10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
So we're not supposed to eat too much protein, can't have too many carbs or fat either...what are we supposed to bulk on?

vido that's not what im saying. I thought you would be able to see my point. YOU know food not used stores to fat right? So If your eating that food for no reason it becomes a negative reason. Many eat everything in their site. All i'am saying is that there should be a cut off point. Why make your body work harder then it needs too. I'am more health conscience though. Like I said I don't like to have someone sacrifice nutrition while bulking

geoffgarcia
10-05-2004, 09:00 PM
its sooo easy to lose weight, and so hard to put on muscle.

here is some decent info on pro high protein diets from members of the lifting community:
Dave Draper's Opinion (http://www.dolfzine.com/page219.htm)
Bryan Haycock's Opinion (http://www.dolfzine.com/page217.htm)
Will Brink's Opinion (http://www.dolfzine.com/page218.htm)

Vido
10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
vido that's not what im saying. I thought you would be able to see my point. YOU know food not used stores to fat right? So If your eating that food for no reason it becomes a negative reason. Many eat everything in their site. All i'am saying is that there should be a cut off point. Why make your body work harder then it needs too. I'am more health conscience though. Like I said I don't like to have someone sacrifice nutrition while bulking

No one is suggesting he overeats though. 2900 calories for a growing 13 year old boy isn't really a lot, especially when he's working out as well. I would never say someone should eat everything in their sight, but there's a big difference between overeating and eating a sufficient number of calories to grow.

waynis
10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
2900 is not a lot of calories for a 13 year old boy but where is he getting the calories from is what i'd be concerned with. IMO i thought the fat and protein numbers were high but especially the fat. That's all

Vido
10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
2900 is not a lot of calories for a 13 year old boy but where is he getting the calories from is what i'd be concerned with. IMO i thought the fat and protein numbers were high but especially the fat. That's all

2900 is not a lot of calories

200g is not an excessive amount of protein by any means

100g fat is about right for a 2900 calorie diet

Lance
10-06-2004, 07:34 PM
I think everyone responds differently to the whole macronutrient ratios and suggestions. Personally, i feel 1g protein/lb is good, adequate, and should never be lower. Mainly b/c i've never heard any bodybuilder say to eat less than .8-1g protein/lb.

Personally, with the same caloric level, i find with a higher protein diet with less carbs and more fats, instead of a mod. protein, high carb, mod. fat ... again same calories ... the results are very different.

Higher protein approach seems to give better definition, more stable blood sugar levels (no more dropping tired during class after a meal), overall killer workouts.

The other approach does what it does, calorie wise. Higher calories i gain, lower i cut, etc. But the whole higher protein and fat approach, with lower carbs, seems to give a very good body recomposition. Dave Draper claims this himself. He says back in his day, bodybuilders diets were meat, milk, and eggs. It built muscle and kept fat at bay. He says nobody knew why, it just did. So that's how they ate. That's still how Dave eats by the way, except for EFA's now adays.

I don't know how to close this, but i just experiment with different ways to diet. Bodybuilding is all about learning it for yourself.