PDA

View Full Version : Supersize Me...

Dereksolo
10-04-2004, 06:59 AM
I just say the documentary of a man that ate Mcdonalds for Breakfast , Lunch, and Dinner for 1 month straight and got sick as hell and on the verge of liver damage. You can rent this in Blockbuster if you hav'nt seen the harsh effects of fast food restarants.
My Question is: This guy gained 17 pounds in 12 days when he started; but all the weight went straight to his stomach. So if I am on a bulk and gain about 1-2 pounds a week why won't all that weight go straight to my stomach? Does it only go to your stomach if you gain weight at increasing fast paces?
I just don't want to gain a large amount of weight on my wasteline which would make me fat, I want it evenly spread throughout my body.
Any Input? :indian:

Anthony
10-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Part of his short term weight gain was probably water due to the high levels of sodium. I don't think he was working out, so the calories above maintenance would be stored as fat.

If you're 5'7, 138, and 7%, you have a loooooong way to go before you should be worried about getting fat.

BigNic
10-04-2004, 08:41 AM
well the documentary had one huge problem. The calories were not constant. He says that to maintain he would be taking in 2500 calories, yet the mcd diet was taking almost 5 k. It would have been an better test had he taken the same amount of calories in his normal diet, as he did in the mcd diet. Other then that the experiment seemed fairly good. Amusing anyway

DarrenEff
10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Either way, I think I'm going to buy this and watch it once a week until I completely cut out fast food (minus subway). Im on a bulk right now and sometimes a trip to McD's can be a good 1000+ calories, but after that...blahh

Shad
10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
dunno if youve heard this..but 2 other people tried this diet.. a BBer and a average housemaker female.

both ate more than regular BUT exercised more than regular

supposedly cholesterol levels went down in BBer.

Both lost between 5-10 lbs, no mention as to wether it was fat or muscle.

both original documentary and the other 2 ppl who tried the diet. I thought the results were not fair.

for these reasons:
- guy in documentary didnt exercise but ate more (what the supposed "average american" does)
- BBer exercised more, at 5k cals but lost weight. Easy to loose weight when your loosing muscle. Also seemed like he was training everday. He mightve been subject to overtraining and loosing muscle just to keep his bf in order.
- Woman started exercising for a change, ofcourse your going to loose weight if you get off the couch

the mcdiet shouldve been on more reliable sources. Such as ppl who exercise but dont change for the sake of eating fattier foods, and dont eat more to try and disprove the reality of the obiesty problem in North America.

SalahG
10-04-2004, 02:42 PM
dunno if youve heard this..but 2 other people tried this diet.. a BBer and a average housemaker female.

both ate more than regular BUT exercised more than regular

supposedly cholesterol levels went down in BBer.

Both lost between 5-10 lbs, no mention as to wether it was fat or muscle.

both original documentary and the other 2 ppl who tried the diet. I thought the results were not fair.

for these reasons:
- guy in documentary didnt exercise but ate more (what the supposed "average american" does)
- BBer exercised more, at 5k cals but lost weight. Easy to loose weight when your loosing muscle. Also seemed like he was training everday. He mightve been subject to overtraining and loosing muscle just to keep his bf in order.
- Woman started exercising for a change, ofcourse your going to loose weight if you get off the couch

the mcdiet shouldve been on more reliable sources. Such as ppl who exercise but dont change for the sake of eating fattier foods, and dont eat more to try and disprove the reality of the obiesty problem in North America.
Yeah, but I am not a fan of that reasoning. He was trying to show what the average american person does, not what health consciense people do. I think the documentary was pretty accurate as to show how bad the average american lifestyle has become in regards to health.

Vido
10-04-2004, 02:48 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but if someone is eating double their maintenance calories (regardless of the source), and not exercising, of course they're going to gain weight...seems like a pretty obvious conclusion to me.

Hatred
10-04-2004, 04:25 PM
um exactly the point....he was sedentary like the general public...who out there really counts calories that does not go to the gym? He ate when he was hungry...it happened to be more calories than he normally ate.

Rex
10-04-2004, 07:34 PM

BF - body fat - when you see body fat %.. It's a ratio. It's the amount of fat one has in comparison to total body weight. Losing muscle while maintaining bf will cause bf % to rise... as more of the body is comprised of fat.

waynis
10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
I'am going to rent the movie. I heard this man almost died. HIs cholesterol was threw the roof and his blood pressure also went up. Exercise or not.. sedentary or not mcdonalds every day is not going to improve your health in any way.