PDA

View Full Version : Getting up to eat at night

Mr. ?
10-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Don't know if I posted in the right part of the forum for this but I was wondering how many of you get up "in the middle of the night" to eat something. For those of you who do, what do you eat and why do you choose that particular food. I thought I had read somewhere that some of you do this and was wondering exactly how benificial it is to see if it is worthwhile to start doing for myself. :burger:

Shad
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
doctor told me that most of the food you consume any closer than 5 hours b4 you sleep gets turned into fat.

since our body does slow down in metabolism fuel isnt required and much of the food does get turned into fat.

dunno if eating in the night is such a good idea??

Vido
10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Your doctor knows nothing about nutrition. He's a general practitioner, not a dietician. If you go 5 hours before bed without eating, and then sleep for 6-12 hours, you've gone half a day without food. How do you expect to make gains in that kind of environment?

estropes
10-04-2004, 01:22 PM
The eating close to 5 things is total BS!!! It's an old wives tale, urban legend, what ever you want to call it. There is no scientific evidence to support that!

Sorry it just pisses me off when doctor tell people wrong info, they went to school for years, but I guess not every doctor was an A student!

Anthony
10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
When I'm on a serious bulk, I do. Usually just a protein shake, whole milk, and almonds. I choose that food because it's easy to eat/prepare. Makes it easier to stay semi-asleep and go back to bed. :D

Eddan
10-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I usually have a shake with water, protein powder (a mix of mainly “slow” proteins) and flax seed oil.

carlossalsa8
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
I don't think that eating 5 hours before bed will convert the food into fat. I always eat at night ( big meal ) half to one hour before bed and I have not noticed any fat gain. One time I did not eat before bed. I slept for 10 hours and I woke up sick from my stomach. I went to the doctor and he told me that it was not healthy if you go to sleep with not eating anything before bed. Eventhough your body is not using energy as when is awaken up, your body and brain need energy to recover from what you did during the day. During sleeping, your brain uses most of the energy. Anyways, If you wake up to eat something in the middle of night, you can eat fruits or veggies. You also can drink a cup of orange juice, or any other kind of juice, or water. I used to wake up in the middle of night to eat, but I just stop doing it. Fruits and veggies would be the best choice to eat, I think.

geoffgarcia
10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
how many of you get up "in the middle of the night" to eat somethingits a very bad idea to disturb the deep sleep portion as this is where a lot of muscle healing occurs. I imagine that this would be more important than any amount of calories

Hatred
10-04-2004, 04:21 PM
If you have to get up to piss you might as well make the most of it though.

Anthony
10-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Exactly, I should have said that I only eat if I wake up to piss ... which is every night at 3am. :)

JTyrell710
10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
but if your in a certain portion of your sleep cycle, and you wake up and go back to sleep, surely the cycle does not repeat, it must start off somewhere where you left it right??

Vido
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
but if your in a certain portion of your sleep cycle, and you wake up and go back to sleep, surely the cycle does not repeat, it must start off somewhere where you left it right??

If the cycle is interrupted you start back at square one.

JTyrell710
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
if you wake up and eat i could see that happening but what about just for a second? i know that i've had 2 sets of dreams, in less than 6 hours of sleep..

slick4788
10-04-2004, 06:50 PM
A cycle is around 90 mins(1.5 hrs of sleep). So, if you want to wake up in the middle of the night, and don't want to disrupt a cycle..try these intervals; 1.5 hr, 3 ,4.5 , 6 , 7.5, 9 ,etc. I guess it would be hard to time it right eh?

Den Fisher
10-04-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm eating right up til I go to bed. And I think I get the majority of my calories after 6:00 pm. And I'm gaining weight like crazy. Like a pound a week or more almost.

Exactly, I should have said that I only eat if I wake up to piss ... which is every night at 3am. :)

lol, yeah man.

I'm always waking up around that time to take a piss.. although I really don't want to.. it's better than me wetting the bed.