PDA

View Full Version : What muscle groups are common to both Bench and Deadlift?

slyskamps
10-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I barely have any experience deadlifting. Yesterday was my second ever workout to incorporate them. Today was a bench/chest day for me and I noticed that I couldn't lift as much this week as I could last week and that my chest didn't feel like it had one weeks rest like it should have. Could this be because there are common muscles worked between bench and deadlift? Particularly lats? fyi, my routie is split as follows:
Mon: Squats/Legs Deadlift
Tue: Chest/Bench
Wed: Back
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Biceps/Triceps
Saturday: Abs Cardio
Sunday: Rest

Do you guys think that I should shift my deadlifts to Wednesday and throw in some SLDL on monday to compensate? Will this fix the problem? Thanks!

Brad Cardoza
10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Deadlifting should not be affecting you bench strength. I would guess if they are new to you you may just be a little tired physically or possibly CNS. Keep deadlifts on leg day, if you move them to back day your lats won't have anything left after your deads, assuming you're going heavy. This is also assuming you are doing an RDL style deadlift, if you are doing a conventional style PL deadlift, you're lats should be fine

anyone
10-06-2004, 07:29 PM
I disagree. I never do a deadlift or squat workout the day before a bench workout. Your lats and chest have to stay tight for you to maintain proper form in DL and squat. So I think it can take something out of your bench because lats are big part of your bench.

Some people like doing squat and dl on the same day, but I don't. I don't think I can get as much out of my deadlift if I do squats on the same day. There are lots of different styles of training, so if you find that what you are doing is not working to your satisfaction, change it.

this is my split:
monday: squat
tuesday: rest
wensday: speed bench/bis
thurdsay: deads
friday: rest
saturday: rest
sunday: heavy bench/tris/shoulders

Relentless
10-07-2004, 09:30 AM
if this is your second time deadlifting you're probably just a little tired from the new heavy lifting

if your bench still suffers after a month or two THEN worry about it

weightlifting ain't a sprint, it's a marathon... don't worry about a short term hiccup so long as the long term gains continue to emerge

ElPietro
10-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I found conventional deads to not exhaust my lats too much, but doing them most other ways can fatigue them much more.

Deadlifts use a ton of muscles, although, I'd say bench would be probably the furthest away of any lifts to be directly affected. My guess would be that you have just exhausted yourself quite a bit, many areas are in a state of recovery, and you are simply not having enough energy to get a good workout in. After a couple more deadlift sessions this will probably go away.

I wouldn't recommend doing SLDL and deadlifts in the same week if you plan on going heavy. Add in the squats you are already doing and your lower back is going to be pretty fried. What you could do, is not deadlift every week, but alternate it with squats. So you could go one week squats, one week deads. Or you could go light/heavy and alternate. So one week heavy squats, light deads, next light squats, heavy deads. Then do the rest of your leg workout.

For your bench though, I don't think shifting it will matter to much, you will eventually adjust. You could try consuming a few more calories on or after deadlift/leg day and see if that helps though.

slyskamps
10-08-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! As per your advice I am just going to suck it up for the next few workouts and see how things go. If things still don't improve, I like the idea of alternating intensity between squats and the deadlifts. You guys rock! :strong: Happy Lifting!

MixmasterNash
10-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Bench has almost no overlap with deads or squats.

Indeed, I use bench as an "easy" day exercise, to recover from any large muscle group workout. Deads shouldn't use any of the primary movers at all.

That said, I fully agree that you need to let it ride and do a bnuch more workouts.

Beebs
10-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Forearms maybe, but thats not really all that important to bench

slyskamps
10-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Now that I have had the chance to rest up and do another set of deadlifts, I think the "weakness" that I felt the day after my deadleft was due to the blow I dealt my nervous system by lifting heavy on a new workout. OOPS. You life and you learn I suppose. This weeks lift wasn't a problem at all and if you look in the bodybuilding forum, you'll see that I have a new one rep max of 200 :) I know it's laughably low, but hey, it's 35lb heavier than what I was lifting in August. Thanks for the suggestions guys! You really know what you are talking about.

PowerManDL
10-13-2004, 07:08 AM
I won't bench the day after heavy lower body work. With my lower back/traps/etc all fried, benching isn't fun.

Chris Rodgers
10-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I won't bench the day after heavy lower body work. With my lower back/traps/etc all fried, benching isn't fun.

:withstupi

Saturday Fever
10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
:withstupi

RickTheDestroyer
10-16-2004, 11:38 AM

Bingo.
I'm with stupids.

HORNEDFROGS07
10-25-2004, 12:13 AM
I disagree with the claims that bench and deads don't overlap hardly any. I find that a good dead day leaves my lats, shoulders, traps, lower back, abs (rear obliques), and to an extent, my upper pecs toasted. The delts and chest get worked simply from holding the weight in lockout position (I've got freakin stretch marks on my anterolateral delts and down my biceps just from the stretch exerted by holding the weight at lockout).

That being said, delts, lats, (to an extent) traps, lower back (arch maintenance in the lift), obliques (core stability), and chest are all used in proper benching. Therefore, I don't see how you could possibly give a full effort on deads followed by a full effort on chest the next day.

Personally, I split it up:
Monday - Legs
Wednesday - Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
Friday - Back/Biceps
This split is more due to time/scheduling constraints than anything, but I've found that it works quite well, especially in the area of recovery.