PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

Doosht
10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Ive been told that its not a good idea to use olive oil to fry things with, is this correct? Does the heat do bad things to it?

Many thanks in advance

Doosht

Vido
10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
It's fine to cook with

GMCtrk
10-06-2004, 06:31 PM
olive is amazing stuff.

waynis
10-06-2004, 07:30 PM
it's fine. canola oil you shouldn't cook with as the benifets of it are burned away. Olive oil great stuff :D

anyone
10-06-2004, 07:36 PM
some people say that frying in olive oil is not so good because it has a lower smoke point then other oils, but this doesn't really matter unless you are frying for long periods of time at high temperatures (like a whole turkey or something) because the smoking oil gets annoying. Note: it doesn't release plumes of smoke, just whisps of smoke; it usually isnt' a big deal. But if you are just doing small batches of frying go right ahead.

But for deep frying I'd use a lighter olive oil, just because it's cheaper to use that stuff in large amounts than extra virgin.

Teh BDK
10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. The only time I'd ever use a lighter or lower grade olive oil is for deep frying.

And I'm talking turkeys here, people. Not like a frydaddy. Don't sacrifice when it comes to the olive oil. You can cut corners at work and roll through stop signs but don't **** with olive oil.

Doosht
10-07-2004, 01:46 AM
MANY THANKS for all that guys! i have quite abit of extra virgin olive oil in shakes and stuff but was just worried about the heating/frying part after someone gave me the spooks about it. You've put my mind at ease. Thankyou.

Doosht

p.s ive never noticed it smoke.

BulkMeUp
10-08-2004, 12:34 PM
it's fine. canola oil you shouldn't cook with as the benifets of it are burned away.
:scratch:
it is fine to cook/fry with canola oil. it has a higher burning point than olive oil. Oils that SHOULD NOT be heated are efa's/flax seed oil..etc