PDA

View Full Version : Getting stronger, but not gaining weight. ???

fixationdarknes
10-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Does this mean that I'm losing fat and gaining muscle so that the weight stays the same? Or does it mean that my muscles are just becoming more efficient at lifting and not any bigger or heavier, therefore my weight stays the same?

Brawl
10-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Keep going bro you are young ... sometimes they go hand in hand sometimes they dont .

BlingMeter
10-06-2004, 08:16 PM
ya itll happen. i can bench 285 5 times and imo i sure as hell dont look like it. the only thing that has decent size to me is my arms. agh one day!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=53718

fixationdarknes
10-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, no doubt about it. I love the feel of weightlifting.

Big J
10-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Does this mean that I'm losing fat and gaining muscle so that the weight stays the same? Or does it mean that my muscles are just becoming more efficient at lifting and not any bigger or heavier, therefore my weight stays the same?

Thats probably the case, but if you're using a powerlifting routine you will gain more strength than size as opposed to the opposite with Bodybuilding. However powerlifting will add size & bodybuilding will add strength.

fixationdarknes
10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Thats probably the case, but if you're using a powerlifting routine you will gain more strength than size as opposed to the opposite with Bodybuilding. However powerlifting will add size & bodybuilding will add strength.

I don't know what kind of routine I use as far as powerlifting and bodybuilding goes. I usually do about 8-12 reps in my sets for upper-body. And lower-body I do 12+ reps.

HahnB
10-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Eat more and not only will you get bigger, but the added size will continue you make you stronger.

Big J
10-06-2004, 11:29 PM
well you're definately not doing a powerlifting routine. I'm surprised you're even gettin much stronger. Maybe try dropping the reps to 6-8 /w heavier weight & see how that works

fixationdarknes
10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
well you're definately not doing a powerlifting routine. I'm surprised you're even gettin much stronger. Maybe try dropping the reps to 6-8 /w heavier weight & see how that works

Why are you surprised? Is it bad to do 8-12 reps?

And what will dropping the reps and upping the weight do for my strength, mass, and endurance? Because I'm actually not that concerned about mass or size. I'm mainly concerned about strength and endurance. I just made this thread because I wanted to know why I wasn't gaining weight. But I guess weight isn't all relative to strength anyway.

stufine
10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Because I'm actually not that concerned about mass or size.
:omg: Isn't that blasphemy 'round here

HahnB
10-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I just made this thread because I wanted to know why I wasn't gaining weight.

You aren't eating enough, it can't get any more basic than that.

BlingMeter
10-07-2004, 03:25 PM
:withstupi

he's got it. take his advice and grow

fixationdarknes
10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
:omg: Isn't that blasphemy 'round here

Well, okay. I DO care about size, but not as much as strength. It's not like I'm gonna be a model or anything. Although looking good is a plus. Just not as good as being strong IMO.

fixationdarknes
10-07-2004, 05:13 PM

Alright. Thanks.

Mission
10-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I kinda have the same problem. I'm a lot stronger than I look, not that I look weak or anything, but yeah. I read an article about some guy who weighs 190 lbs and can bench over 600. Friggin insane.

fixationdarknes
10-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I kinda have the same problem. I'm a lot stronger than I look, not that I look weak or anything, but yeah. I read an article about some guy who weighs 190 lbs and can bench over 600. Friggin insane.

Yeah...Bruce Lee wasn't big, yet he could throw huge guys across the room and toss huge barrels and crap.

Mission
10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah...Bruce Lee wasn't big, yet he could throw huge guys across the room and toss huge barrels and crap.

That has a lot to do with internal energy and not actual strength though.

I've studied JKD for a couple years now and it really is great. Unlike karate or TKD, they don't force things upon you. "The style without a style"

fixationdarknes
10-08-2004, 07:55 PM
That has a lot to do with internal energy and not actual strength though.

I've studied JKD for a couple years now and it really is great. Unlike karate or TKD, they don't force things upon you. "The style without a style"

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but...

I've always wanted to learn some things about JKD. I wanna know why Bruce Lee was so damn awesome. Are you in a JKD class or do you just study independently on your own time? And if you do, what books/videos do you have that I can get that will teach me some basics about JKD and let me learn more about it. I obviously know that I can't master JKD by just buying books and videos, but I just wanna learn the basics, because I don't have time to attend an actual class nor is there any JKD school near where I live (at least that's what I think). Any suggestions?

Songsangnim
10-09-2004, 06:29 AM

Unlikely. Were he not eating enough, he wouldn't be getting stronger.

ryuage
10-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Unlikely. Were he not eating enough, he wouldn't be getting stronger.

so you are saying if one isnt gaining weight they can't get stronger?? I'd like to hear why.

Songsangnim
10-09-2004, 06:38 AM
so you are saying if one isnt gaining weight they can't get stronger?? I'd like to hear why.

No, I am not. I am saying if one isn't eating enough they can't get stronger.

Big J
10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Why are you surprised? Is it bad to do 8-12 reps?

And what will dropping the reps and upping the weight do for my strength, mass, and endurance? Because I'm actually not that concerned about mass or size. I'm mainly concerned about strength and endurance. I just made this thread because I wanted to know why I wasn't gaining weight. But I guess weight isn't all relative to strength anyway.

I thought you said you were doing sets or 12+ reps, and if you were steadily getting stronger that just surprised me. 8-12 reps aint that bad at all, though I tend to stay between 4-8. I dont advise you to ever do more than 12 reps on a set. If you can the weight is too light.

JTyrell710
10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
adam archuleta, 200+ lbs and
Today, his personal best in the bench press is 530 pounds in 1.09 seconds and in the squat, 663 pounds in 1.24 seconds. At an individual workout for NFL scouts, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds and jumped 39 inches vertically.

benches 530 in 1 second- no he's not a pl'er he's a football player. he's also 6 feet tall so he's not amazingly huge. its definatley possible to weigh 190 an bench 600

HahnB
10-11-2004, 01:09 PM
No, I am not. I am saying if one isn't eating enough they can't get stronger.

That's not true at all. When I first started training I had no idea how to diet, and my bench went up almost 75lbs and I had only gained a few lbs. You can have a horrific diet and still get stronger by just working out. Granted you would get much stronger and bigger if you were eating a surplus of calories-but you can still get stronger(for a limited time) without gaining weight.

ryuage
10-11-2004, 02:58 PM
:withstupi

exactly, it's when that happens it's good to know what we know now before we started.

BigNic
10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
of course you dont have to be eating enough to gain strength. Look at powerlifters, especially smaller ones. These guys are often taking very low caloric intakes yet there strength is going up due to their training, ect.

As for the orginal question, just keep eating and lifting and it will get there. My first two years or so of training i made very little size gains but quite good strength gains. Once i finally got my diet on track ive gained in both.

onehugemofo
10-11-2004, 08:51 PM
???Bodybuilding adds mass, powerlifting adds strength. Dude, this isnt rocket science.

Big J
10-11-2004, 10:01 PM
what the hell are you talkin about? thats what i said.

BigNic
10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
???Bodybuilding adds mass, powerlifting adds strength. Dude, this isnt rocket science.

cmon bro read it again. Hes saying that each one has an ability to gain more in one direction, however they both will add both mass and strength if a correct diet is in use. This is true.

Big J
10-11-2004, 11:26 PM
exactly BigNic, at least I see someone understood what I was saying.

crazedwombat
10-12-2004, 06:46 AM
jb with off topic about JKD. if you want true real life style, go for brazilian jujistu...the gracies did it in UFC and were the worlds best for awhile...best street defense style. of course wu shu kung fu is probably best for show and internal energy (aside from shaolin)

Songsangnim
10-13-2004, 07:25 AM
That's not true at all. When I first started training I had no idea how to diet, and my bench went up almost 75lbs and I had only gained a few lbs. You can have a horrific diet and still get stronger by just working out. Granted you would get much stronger and bigger if you were eating a surplus of calories-but you can still get stronger(for a limited time) without gaining weight.

Ahh, the tried-and-true ancedotal "well it happened to me so you must be wrong". Ancedotal evidence is of extremely limited value. Plus we were not talking about "diet" we were talking about having a continued deficit in calories. Once again I never said you can not get stronger without gaining weight. In fact there have been a couple of threads where I have said the opposite. If you are not eating enough food to support your body's needs, then it will start to 'eat' muscle. If you are eating enough food to support the body but not enough to grow you can get stronger for quite some time.

Once more, you can not get stronger if you are not eating enough. By not eating enough I mean a caloric deficit. Generally not eating enough means that. If you mean that he is not eating enough to gain weight than you should have said that.

Songsangnim
10-13-2004, 07:30 AM
of course you dont have to be eating enough to gain strength. Look at powerlifters, especially smaller ones. These guys are often taking very low caloric intakes yet there strength is going up due to their training, ect.

I yet have to meet or hear of a single succesful powerlifter who stays on a "very low caloric intake" year around. If they only employ this low caloric intake when they are cutting to "make weight" then that defeats your argument right there. Also if you are talking about professional powerlifters then you should be aware that a good number of them are on "gear". This accounts for the strength.

Chubrock
10-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Ahh, the tried-and-true ancedotal "well it happened to me so you must be wrong". Ancedotal evidence is of extremely limited value. Plus we were not talking about "diet" we were talking about having a continued deficit in calories. Once again I never said you can not get stronger without gaining weight. In fact there have been a couple of threads where I have said the opposite. If you are not eating enough food to support your body's needs, then it will start to 'eat' muscle. If you are eating enough food to support the body but not enough to grow you can get stronger for quite some time.

Once more, you can not get stronger if you are not eating enough. By not eating enough I mean a caloric deficit. Generally not eating enough means that. If you mean that he is not eating enough to gain weight than you should have said that.

The last part of this is what I disagree with. In essence your stating that if you are losing weight, you can't gain strength, correct? Over the last 4 weeks or so, I've been on a cut, and have actually gained in almost all my lifts. Maybe I'm a freak of nature lol.

HahnB
10-13-2004, 10:44 AM
If you mean that he is not eating enough to gain weight than you should have said that.

I didn't think I had to make that clear when the thread is called "Getting stronger, but not gaining weight".

I understand what you're point is, but I still believe that if you've never lifted before, and you begin to train-you're going to get a little stronger no matter how little you eat. Granted that will hault very quickly, but your muscles are going to gain some strength regardless if you're only eating 1000 calories a day.

BlingMeter
10-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Once more, you can not get stronger if you are not eating enough. By not eating enough I mean a caloric deficit. Generally not eating enough means that. .

yes that is true. everyone is different. someone may gain while eating 1500cals a day while somewont. but its the general idea, u can only get so big with the little amount u eat. so yes u dont eat enough u wont gain. simple as that.

as for the cuttin guy, drop 700cals more from your diet and see how much u gain

Chubrock
10-13-2004, 03:20 PM

yes that is true. everyone is different. someone may gain while eating 1500cals a day while somewont. but its the general idea, u can only get so big with the little amount u eat. so yes u dont eat enough u wont gain. simple as that.

as for the cuttin guy, drop 700cals more from your diet and see how much u gain

Why would I want to cut 700cals more from my diet when I'm already losing on average 1.5lbs per week?

BlingMeter
10-13-2004, 04:38 PM
i was just stating that eatin a little gives u little gains. since ur cuttin i doubt your eating 1500cals a day. i was just making a statement that eating little equals little gains. thats all

Songsangnim
10-19-2004, 07:22 AM
The last part of this is what I disagree with. In essence your stating that if you are losing weight, you can't gain strength, correct? Over the last 4 weeks or so, I've been on a cut, and have actually gained in almost all my lifts. Maybe I'm a freak of nature lol.

Not exactly. It depends on the TYPE of weight you are losing. You can lose fat (a significant amount) and gain strength. You can not however lose muscle (a significant amount) and gain strength.

dissipate
10-19-2004, 08:48 AM
same here. i've been lifting intensely for about 5 months now, and am still the same weight as i was before.

BlingMeter
10-19-2004, 01:39 PM
u sir need to eat more! i can pack on 20lbs in 5 months and still look great