PDA

View Full Version : protein?

latinomasfino
10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
well i am takin nutriction class in college right now and its pretty interesting especailly the parts of protein intake and usage..they were sayin how we just need the essential amino acids and not the non essential and how most protein powders supply the nonessesential and thus they are not put to use but is broken down and is excreted in teh urine by the kidneys..welll when i confroneted my professor about my diet and how i lost 15lbs by comsuming more protein and less carbs and how im in th best shape of my life he streessed to me that my intake of 170grams of protein was a bit extremem and that i would prob develp kidney problems later on including kidney stones...what i wanna know is if anyone has expereinced these problems and i know that most test have been done on rats and other animals..

latinomasfino
10-07-2004, 10:55 AM
anyone have any input????? :scratch:

geoffgarcia
10-07-2004, 11:03 AM
most protein powders supply the nonessesentialYes, they do supply nonessentials, but they also supply essentials.
Whoever said this (your teacher I'm assuming) might be looking at a particular brand or just regurgitating something they heard someone else say.

Generally speaking most protein powders are built around essential protein sources from animals (meat, milk, egg).

All you have to do is read a label, check the ingredients and check the AA breakdown to see what the essential/non essentials included are. Just about every brand is willing to give out those numbers.

Nonessential does not mean that they are not important, but rather the body
can produce them naturally. Just like we can produce creatine naturally. However, supplementation DOES help.

As for kidney issues thats fair enough, everything hurts you one way or another.

Protein from meat and other animal products is broken down into acids. The kidneys balance acids with bases for elimination from the body using calcium as a base.

Protein is broken down, stored in bone, then binds with calcium. The kidneys filter calcium from the blood. The more meat you eat, the more calcium you'll have in your kidneys. These particles can bind together, forming kidney stones.

i know that most test have been done on rats and other animalsactually there are a zillion protein tests that have been done on humans

Vapour Trails
10-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Regardless if a AA is non-essential or not, it still serves as a nitrogen source. Synthesis of AAs is not the only nitrogen requiring reaction in the body. Nitrogen makes up a significant portion of DNA, RNA etc.

latinomasfino
10-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes, they do supply nonessentials, but they also supply essentials.
Whoever said this (your teacher I'm assuming) might be looking at a particular brand or just regurgitating something they heard someone else say.

Generally speaking most protein powders are built around essential protein sources from animals (meat, milk, egg).

All you have to do is read a label, check the ingredients and check the AA breakdown to see what the essential/non essentials included are. Just about every brand is willing to give out those numbers.

Nonessential does not mean that they are not important, but rather the body
can produce them naturally. Just like we can produce creatine naturally. However, supplementation DOES help.

As for kidney issues thats fair enough, everything hurts you one way or another.

actually there are a zillion protein tests that have been done on humans

yea man thanks for ur input i know i was checkin the label of my protein source and it is mainly essesential.i know nonessestial is still important i guess he was just refereing to having too much nonessesential will just be wasted. yea moreover yes like u said everything does hurt u one way or another but doenst drinkni adequate water intake help and its better than be overweight and haeving to deal with many diseases that come along wiht it lategr on in life

latinomasfino
10-07-2004, 04:30 PM
and just like u said supplement does help cuase what i asked him to explain to me is how i lost 15lbs and gained more muslce if i was donig the same workout regimine now that i was doing at 180lb when what i really changed was my diet by inccreaseing more protein and less carbs but he coulndt answer me lol