PDA

View Full Version : Clueless on this ratio business and then some

Timastyle
10-06-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't understand this whole ratio business. Can you guys help me understand what it's all about? I am trying to put on lean mass. I'm 5'11" and 145-150 right now. Just getting back in the gym.

Also, how do I calculate what I've eaten into calories and how much protein, carbs and fat? There are homemade foods that are made at my house, and I don't know how I would do the counts. Can you guys steer me in the right direction?

One more thing...

I was reading in another thread that too much protein is back for you. Why would that be?

galileo
10-07-2004, 05:17 AM
1. Ratios are the ratio between fats, carbs, and proteins in your meal. Some people put fat first, some protein first. It is commonly represented in a fashion like - 40/20/20 with an assumed %.

2. Using a food calculator like fitday.com, you can add items (ingredients - for homemade foods), and find your daily totals. Many people weigh everything they eat.

3. If you're eating far too much protein a day, it has potential to be harmful because your kidneys have to processs it. Lucky for you, you eating 150-225g of protein per day will not have any ill effects. People with the kidney problems are typically ones with much much much higher daily intakes and a lot of them have renal problems to start.

Timastyle
10-07-2004, 08:49 AM
How do you know how many g's of protein i'm eating? Are you just assuming?

Ok, explain more about te percentages please. What are the benefits? If I'm on a bulk diet, what should my ratio be?

Can you also explain the difference between carbs and impact carbs?

geoffgarcia
10-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Tima, are you counting your calories somehow?
if you start using dietorganizer or fitday they will automatically tally up these numbers for you.
No need to be concerned with ratios, worry about numbers. The number of calories you get in a day, how much of each fat, how much protein and how much fiber. The rest should fall into place.
Shoot for .8-1.5g of protein per pound
minimum of 35g of fat per day, as little saturated and as much poly as possible
20+g of fiber per day

The calories and %'s work like this;
Each gram of protein = 4 calories of energy
Each gram of carbs = 4 calories of energy
Each gram of fat = 9 calories of energy

SO, if a person has taken in 1000 calories
and 40% is carb, 40% protein and 20% fat then it just figure out the calories for each
40% = 400 calories each for protein and carbs
and 200 for protein.
Then just divide it up, 400 calories at 4calories per gram = 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of carbs
20% = 200 calories of fat, divided by 9 is about 22g of fat.

Timastyle
10-07-2004, 04:47 PM
No, I don't count my calories. I just eat as much as possible. I just shove whatever I can find into my system. Now, I want to go at it with a more organized and healthier approach. The thing is, some of the stuff that is healthy and full of protein, I don't like. Ex: Fish, Tuna. I eat a lot of chicken and meat though.

Is there a difference between unsaturated fat and poly fat? What is it? What foods have poly fat?

Isn't it rather time consuming to tally all these things up or does it just seem that way to me since I don't know much about it? Once I get it down, it won't be so much work, huh?

Max-Mex
10-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Tima, need to use the search feature. Most of the questions you have asked have been answered here before.

And yes, once you get it down, it's not that much work. I can pretty much gauge how much protien, carbs and fatI'm getting from most of my food by just looking at it. I still count calories, log everything, and try to weigh most of my food.

Max-Mex
10-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Also, read this: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=53996

sublime99
10-07-2004, 05:05 PM
WWW.FITDAY.COM THIS SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM, SIGN UP IT IS FREE.