PDA

View Full Version : How does this look?

davhern
10-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Hey guys...

I'm pretty new here.

I'm 21 y.o., 5'7" 138lbs. I've lifted for a while and done well with creatine and protein as far as strength gains go, but I want more mass and hopefully more strength, too. So, for once, I'm going to go on a bulk diet. I never had actually counted up a thing as far as my diet went, just tried to eat as much protein as I could.

I calculated I'd go around 2600 calories, 220g protein, 220g carbs, and 100g fat. The diet I planned out comes pretty close to this, and I've spread it out (though not evenly) over 5 meals. Also, I prefer to workout at night.

Meal #1 - (549 cal/17g fat/67g carb/39g protein)
8 oz. OJ
2 jumbo whole hard-boiled eggs
4 jumbo hard-boiled egg-whites
1 packet oatmeal

Meal #2 - (667 cal/21g fat/77g carb/47g protein)
1 protein shake
1 all natural PB sandwich (white bread)
1 banana

Meal #3 - (291 cal/6g fat/25g carb/34g protein)
1 boneless chicken breast fillet
1 cup broccoli
1 apple

Meal #4 - (691 cal/19g fat/55g carb/67g protein) (pre-workout)
6 oz. sirloin steak, lean only
3/4 cup white rice
1/2 cup black beans (Cuban-style :thumbup: )

Meal #5 - (413 cal/8g fat/18g carb/65g protein) (post-workout meal)
1 boneless chicken breast fillet
1 protein shake

Totals - 2610 calories/70g fat/234g carbs/253g protein

I spent the last hour or so on this, let me know how this looks. I figured a lot of this out on fitday.com (Thanks to Max-Mex for directing me to that site). I know I went a little over on some of it, but it can't hurt that much, right? If I have to cut down, I will. Also, some days I will be subbing chicken for steak and vice-versa. This is just a baseline I thought I'd follow (with some variation here and there).

Also, keep in mind that there are the calories and carbs from the creatine which I didn't take into account.

Thanks!

Genacide
10-08-2004, 04:35 AM
The only thing that I would probably change is the white bread. tuttut I would go with whole wheat or multi-grain. Also theirs not very much fat in their, maybe some olive oil or a couple tablespoons of PB would get that up a little.

davhern
10-08-2004, 12:40 PM
The only thing that I would probably change is the white bread. tuttut I would go with whole wheat or multi-grain. Also theirs not very much fat in their, maybe some olive oil or a couple tablespoons of PB would get that up a little.

Thanks! I figured white bread would be better, since I'm bulking.

Anyone have anymore ideas on how I can get more fat in there without messing up the other numbers too much? :confused:

Genacide
10-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Nuts are a good source.... ate a 1/2 cup today already.

sublime99
10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Higher calories like 3500.

davhern
10-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Higher calories like 3500.

Hmm... Well, I did all the calculations on here and some other sites, and my maintenance cals come out at around 1800-2000. Everything I read on here says to go 5 or 600 over maintenance for bulking. I figured anything over the 2800 (2600 of this diet, plus 200 more from the creatine) would be overkill and might even add fat. (Also, the calculations I made pointed to about 200-210 carbs/protein, 100 fat..)

To be honest, I don't even think I was getting 2000 calories to this point. I've never eaten this much and even this looks like a ****load to me. I suppose I could up it if it didn't end up being enough, but I don't think that'll be a problem...

HahnB
10-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Most people don't have a diet they follow 100%. For instance, they might consume the same number of cals in a day, but you might want to very your food a little or it will get bland and boring. Also, eating 30 steaks a month isn't very cost effective and you can get calories much cheaper. If you can afford that, then by all means-steak is great.

I would try to eat right around 3300 calories if I were you. That's a little less than 25 calories per lb you weigh. Some say only 20 calories per lb, but I would try at least that many if you want to get the job done.

Vido
10-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I would try to eat right around 3300 calories if I were you. That's a little less than 25 calories per lb you weigh. Some say only 20 calories per lb, but I would try at least that many if you want to get the job done.

:withstupi

ryuage
10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
why would that be recommended if he is gaining on what he is currently eating, you might want to also get in some carbs post workout.

Rex
10-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Peanut Butter and Olive oil. Gods gift to bodybuilders. Easily the most efficient way to add quality fat and calories to a diet.

Salmon and steak has lots of fat but that includes saturated so its less then ideal.

Your meal plan looks fine. Average 2600 cals a day over the next two weeks and then weigh yourself. You should have gained at least a pound, if not increase calorie intake by 3 - 5 hundred a day.

Vido
10-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Salmon and steak has lots of fat but that includes saturated so its less then ideal.

Salmon doesn't have much, if any, saturated fat. The fat from salmon is the healthy kind.

davhern
10-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice! :D

I'm gonna try to stick to this, with some olive oil and PB thrown in here and there, for the next few weeks and see how it goes.

I have to say, this place is an awesome resource for this kind of advice.