PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Or Whole Grain

matrix5089
10-09-2004, 02:23 PM
WHEAT OR WHOLE GRAIN WICH ONE IS BETTER TO GET CARBS FROM WHEN EATING BREAD OR BAGELS, AND Y :strong:

txterry
10-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Wheat for me...
More protein
Much more Fiber
More vitamins and minerals
Better taste
Dosent stick to the roof of my mouth
Prevents constipation due to more fiber
(More calories)

Just because bread says 'Wheat' on it does not mean its any better than white bread. Ive seen some sorry-ass breads labelled 'Wheat' that looked like white bread with a few flakes of whole wheat thrown in for color.

I usually go with Multigrain, 7grain 12grain and my fav HealthNut.
Oat, Bran and certain Rye breads are good too

anyone
10-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Just look at the label - if the ingredents say 100% whole wheat as their first ingredent, you are good to go.

ozzyman
10-10-2004, 02:28 AM
I use a whole weat multi grain bread(oroweat).... 4g of protien per slice, 18g carbs, 2g fat. Very good tasting with turky slices. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but after looking at lables i think this bread is a good choice.

Rik-s
10-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Whole wheat, but i dont even consider the protien in it part of my dailly intake. I was under the impression that anything outside meat/poultry/dairy protien was inefficiant for building muscle, hence i only count it(bread) as a carb intake....

Maybe i'm wrong, think i'll look into that again... :scratch:

matrix5089
10-10-2004, 09:07 AM
rik your right you shouldnt be counting the protein from breads only from meats

_-_v_-_
10-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Not true.

If you combine incomplete protein sources with complete protein sources, you're fine.

Hell, if you properly combine two incomplete protein sources (i.e., beans and rice; legumes and bread; etc...), you're fine.

Proteins are just collections of amino acids, people.

Aspect
10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Yup; otherwise it'd make surviving pretty difficult for vegetarians...

Rik-s
10-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Not true.

If you combine incomplete protein sources with complete protein sources, you're fine.

Hell, if you properly combine two incomplete protein sources (i.e., beans and rice; legumes and bread; etc...), you're fine.

Proteins are just collections of amino acids, people.

Not wanna do the whole "proof" thing, but i would be interested in seeing some actuall evidance of this regarding specific "muscle building" .... Just for a more rounded view on how this works. Know anywere i could get this info ?

Edit: Never mind reading up on it as i type (almost lol)

mattburns
10-10-2004, 05:11 PM
ive actually read that protein from grains and lentils are a more efficient way of digesting protein. not my opinion, i read it in "you are what you eat" by gillian mckeith.

anyone have more knowledge on this? the book seemed biased towards vegetables and she slated meat a fair bit.

Behemoth
10-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Wheat or whole grain? Wheat is a whole grain. Just don't eat bleached any grain.