PDA

View Full Version : Good starting routine for skinny guy (limited equip.)

TonyMontana
10-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey everyone.

My names Brian. Im 5'9 138, and really skinny. I have been researching for awhile, aswell as adjusted my diet by eating more (like a TON more) and giving up all the candy/junkfood/pop which used to be a part of my regular diet.

I have recently also bought a wieght bench, with 300 lbs of wieghts and a butterfly extension on it. I also have a chin up bar. Can I make a successful routine with using just this equipment? Can someone help me with making one?

My primary objective is to build my upper body, but i want to utilize squats/deadlifts as one of my main exercises, as I have reada few articles about how they are great and a huge contributer for growing. Can someone gime a few tips?

omarjiwa
10-10-2004, 05:15 PM
yes, you will actually be able to work almost all your muscles with that one bar, and that bench. Maybe if you got some free weights to start off with instead of lifting that bar at first, it would really help!

TonyMontana
10-10-2004, 05:20 PM
I have hand bars for doing free weights as well.

firas
10-10-2004, 05:43 PM
i was in a similar situation about 7 years ago when i started up, a gym opened near my house that was basically a big renovated garage, it was very limited but it was very cheap and since i was living off pocket money it was ideal. all they had was 3 adjustable benches, 2 squat racks, a half dozen bars and a hell of a load of discs, no dumbbells, no machines, no cables nothing.

it's good that you've only got that because it means you won't need to mess around with isolation exercises, that really won't benfit you. stick to basic compound mass builders, 4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise with a weight that only just allows u to finish the last rep of the last set, one min rest between sets, 3 mins between exercises. 2 warm up sets of 10 reps of 50% and 75% of the weight you lift in your 4 working sets. start light to get a feel for the movements and progressively increase the weight.

day one: bench press, bicep curl
day two: bent-over row, deadlift, lunges
day three: shoulder press, french press

if you have the facility to do squats then substitute them for lunges.

good luck,

mattburns
10-10-2004, 05:51 PM
all i have is a barbell, dunbells, a chin up bar and around 150lbs of weights. my routine is similar to that posted by firas.

ive put on 7 lbs in about 8 weeks

firas
10-10-2004, 05:59 PM
gentlemen i think we have a believer,

:clap: hallelujah brother :clap:

ReturnedFire
10-10-2004, 06:21 PM
yeah you can do practically everything with the equipment you have. :thumbup:

as for routines there's lots of options. you can do a split or full body, your choice of # times a week , etc..

personally i've started doing a 2 day a week full body routine just cuz it saves me time and i like working everything at once. but check out the various WBB routines as well as the Journals section to get a good idea of what people are doing.