PDA

View Full Version : Butter

RussianRocket
10-10-2004, 08:11 PM
I've never actually thought to check how much calories are in butter, dont ask my how, i just havent. I dont eat that often, if i do its usually with bread. its 717 cal per 100 grams. How do i know how much grams are on my toast/bread? Or how many grams are in a table spoon? is 10 grams equal to a table spoon. It doesnt say anything on the package besides a serving size is 10 grams.

jugheadkills
10-10-2004, 10:15 PM
im going to guess that a lot of people arent going to be happy with your decision to use butter as a bulking food... im not happy

Olive oil is calorie dense, and can add some good fats to your diet, try to stick with that instead of butter..

RussianRocket
10-10-2004, 11:12 PM
i actually ddint state that i used it as bulking food. I never used butter for bulking food. It was a question on how many calories i get from it, plus like i said i only use it on bread, and i have that maybe twice a week at most. I just dont want to eat it without knowing what i'm getting, besides fat obviously.

Canadian Crippler
10-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Calorieking says 98 cals per 1 tbsp.

RBC13
10-11-2004, 09:47 AM
There is absolutely no reason to use butter. So if you dont use it why should you care how much calories are in it? Problem solved.

RussianRocket
10-11-2004, 10:36 AM
i really dont want to go intoa discussion why you should count your calories, maybe so you are on top of your diet? Maybe...thats what i'm thinking. Thanks AlterShock

Ğragons
10-11-2004, 03:20 PM
isnt each serving 15-20 g? :-\ dno

mattburns
10-11-2004, 05:22 PM
if u use fitday theres an option which gives you an average amount per slice of bread.

ecliptic
10-11-2004, 06:04 PM
There is absolutely no reason to use butter. So if you dont use it why should you care how much calories are in it? Problem solved.

Hey man, this guy can use butter if he wants, he's trying to count calories so he's obviously tallying the fat content into his overall diet.

Anyway, I've used fitday.com to keep track of it and it has a pretty good estimate.

RichLockyer
10-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Okay... so what's a good alternative to butter for toast? Olive oil is awesome and I use that instead of animal or other veg based oils for things like salad dressing, but it's a little hard to spready olive oil on toast :D

I see things like Benecol, basic spreads and margarines, and I can't help but think that, overall, "the real thing" is probably the most healthy (or least unhealthy) of all of these evil foods.

I my case, we're talking about two slices of toast per week with the two weekend breakfasts.

HemiVision
10-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I see things like Benecol, basic spreads and margarines, and I can't help but think that, overall, "the real thing" is probably the most healthy (or least unhealthy) of all of these evil foods.

Probably. I'd be more worried about eating margarine containing trans fat.

Vido
10-13-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm with RBC13. I just don't see a reason to use butter, ever.

If you want to eat toast, put some peanut butter on it, or eat it plain.

Genacide
10-13-2004, 03:46 PM
For all the margarine and "fake" butter alternative users out there... Try putting some margarine outside and see if anything eats it. I guess ants won't even touch the stuff. Also I have heard that margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic.
BUTTER yummy i put it on toast or a bagel everyday with honey from a local farmer.

Den Fisher
10-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Is it ok to use 'I can't believe it's not butter'?

Vido
10-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Is it ok to use 'I can't believe it's not butter'?

Don't use any of that crap, butter, fake butter, whatever...it's just not necessary. Learn to enjoy the natural flavours of the foods you are eating.

Vapour Trails
10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Don't use any of that crap, butter, fake butter, whatever...it's just not necessary. Learn to enjoy the natural flavours of the foods you are eating.

Dry toast? I'd rather do a little extra cardio and eat food worth eating.

RBC13
10-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Who says you have to eat toast? French bread baby.

Den Fisher
10-13-2004, 07:39 PM
I only use the 'I can't believe it's not butter' to lube up my pan for when I make chicken breasts and eggs.. should I maybe use olive oil instead?

Vido
10-13-2004, 07:55 PM
I only use the 'I can't believe it's not butter' to lube up my pan for when I make chicken breasts and eggs.. should I maybe use olive oil instead?

Yes

Vido
10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Dry toast? I'd rather do a little extra cardio and eat food worth eating.

I just don't eat toast, so it's irrelevant to me. If I did though, I would opt for peanut butter or jam over butter.

RichLockyer
10-13-2004, 11:42 PM
I just don't eat toast, so it's irrelevant to me. If I did though, I would opt for peanut butter or jam over butter.
Hmm... protein and fat, sugar, or saturated fat.
Tough call.

Dirt
10-14-2004, 12:08 AM
I don't see any need to count the cals from butter as you shouldn't be using enough of it to even care how much you're using. I'd have to say I tend to agree with Vido and RBC to some degree, although I wouldn't say you need to abstain entirely from it. If you throw a bit of butter sparingly on some toast you should get the flavour (if that's what you're after). You definitely don't need to drown your food in it. If you throw some in a pan so something doesnt stick to the pan while you're frying it, once again you don't need a stick of butter to do the job. So I'd say the actual nutritional breakdown should be moot. If you're incapable of using butter sparingly, then yes, I agree with RBC and Vido. On a side note, using crap like margarine and butter alternatives is not any better for you than butter, and is likely worse. Generally hydrogenated oils like that made to be solids at higher temperatures than butter pose inherent risks of their own.