PDA

View Full Version : Atkins diet

accuFLEX
10-11-2004, 09:49 AM
What is wrong with the Atkins diet?

sublime99
10-11-2004, 10:29 AM
well nothing if you want to be constipated, lack vitamins and minerals you get from carb foods, feel like crap for about 2 weeks, have high cholesterol, never ever eat good foods ever again, gain all the weight you lost back if you eat carbs again, eat meat and cheese every day for the rest of your life. I tried the atkins for about 2 months and couldn't stand it anymore, you have to understand that it is not a diet it is a lifestyle, and after eating meat and cheese for like 2 months i got sick of it. I was constipated beyond all hell and i took fiber metamucil everyday, had to buy special vitamins, felt like crap all day everyday, and i went to the doctor and he took blood sample and i had very high bad cholesterol not the good kind. I read his book and it sounds really good, but keep in mind he is trying to sell you on a theory, for every one good example you can find 5 bad ones. Do some reasearch.

sublime99
10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
here is a list of the side effects

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/health/ghealth/nutrit/articles/0,,181039_611632-1,00.html

Spartan936
10-11-2004, 01:16 PM
The downfall of atkins is how it limits vegetables and fruits. Just like sublime said. Disasterous.

RichLockyer
10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Carbs is fuel.

Try running your car on water and oil. Won't work... it was designed to run on water, oil, and gas (unless it's a diesel or air-cooled, but you get the point).

Likewise, your body was designed to run on carbs, protein, and fat. Eliminating or restricting any of them our of proper proportion is unhealthy.
My wife lost 90 pounds on Atkins. Guess what... AFTER dropping the 90 pounds, she was at 205, and STILL 44% bodyfat. I have a seriously hard time believing that she lost more than 45 pounds of actual fat. I've finally gotten her off of Atkins and onto a decent diet. She has more energy, and dropped another 10 pounds in 2 months. The last 10 pounds produced a more "feelable" difference just giving her a hug than the first 90 did.

That said, most people take in WAY too many carbs and fats. Fast food is the work of Satan, and what turned both of us into fata$$es.

Big John
10-13-2004, 06:33 AM
ANYONE HERE DONE ATKINS---- no THOUGHT NOT, i HAVE DONE it FOR 6 MONTHS, NO SIDES great weight loss NO loss of power or perforemance, The ******** I here from people who know nothing makes me laugh.
Atkins ,should be done with multi-vit/mineral/ EFA's and after two weeks carbs are slowly re-introduced at the rate of 10g per week. After six moths I lost 36IIbs of crap and I am up to 100g per day of carbs/ a little more around workouts . feel great and would recommend you read all about it first and not listen to TV put-downs. BJ :ninja:

Relentless
10-13-2004, 08:28 AM
i gotta agree with Big John -- I think a lot of the hype and horror stories you hear about Atkins is mostly due to people either doing it halfassed and messing up, or taking it to some kind og ungodly extreme

Atkins is fundamentally based on ketosis

ketosis works

I went from 235 @ ~22% to 192 @ 11% in about 12 weeks on a TKD diet which is quite similar to Atkins. Supplemented with multivitamins, fiber and all that. Didn't gain the weight back until I purposely started bulking.

I would say that Atkins isn't a bad route to take as a targeted weightloss plan but you have to be prepared to make a lifestyle change AFTERwards... you can't go back to a diet of McDonald's and crap. You need to eat clean/healthy and limit your high-GI intake to reasonable levels, especially avoiding refined sugar and enriched white flour (which are crap for you anyway).

Cheers,
Cal

P.S. For those on keto/Atkins diets, Suzanne Somers has a sweetening product called Somersweet that is based on oligofructose (I think) which has totally minimal net carbs and that your body treats basically like fiber. Which means you can even make a cheesecake with this stuff! Outrageous! :)

BigRic
10-13-2004, 08:40 AM
The atkins diet is for people who are overweight or obese, it's not for people who just want to loose a couple pounds.

Ironman_1964
10-14-2004, 06:03 AM
The atkins diet is for people who are overweight or obese, it's not for people who just want to loose a couple pounds.

I agree and you can not build muscle on the Atkins diet.

Vido
10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
I agree and you can not build muscle on the Atkins diet.

Why not?

Big John
10-15-2004, 04:08 AM
Ironman 1964, is that you in the picture,cuse if it is, i'm in better shape!. BJ :ninja:

Ironman_1964
10-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Ironman 1964, is that you in the picture,cuse if it is, i'm in better shape!. BJ :ninja:

I took the pic a couple of days ago. Not bad for 40 years old.

CASD
10-17-2004, 08:39 AM
I did it for about 6 months last year.. Lost 38lbs but was soft from losing alot of muscle also..
gained back most of it over the holidays (my fault)
This time I'm doing it right.. with a proper diet..good carbs and working out..

fen2zla
10-17-2004, 11:09 PM

Well post a pic big john. :hello:

Ironman_1964
10-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Well post a pic big john. :hello:

Word

Vido
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Ironman_1964, you still haven't responded to my question. Why can't you build muscle on the Atkins diet?

Don't get me wrong, I am completely against utilizing the Atkins diet for bulking OR cutting. However, there is no reason one couldn't build muscle using the diet.

Saint Patrick
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM

Yeah if you're gonna make a statement like that, you'd better have pics to back it up.

BigNic
10-18-2004, 09:20 PM

whats was the point of even saying this? I dont understand why youd make a comment like this, what does that have to do with the discussion.

btw, i bet your e-penis is bigger then his also

Frozenmoses
10-18-2004, 09:26 PM
:withstupi

And I bet your dad could beat his dad up, too!

Cockfag.

AzBboy
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
vido, i think u cant put on muscle on atkins because simply, u cant lose weight and gain weight at the same time. atkins is weight loss, muscle building is weight gain. u can get slim and cut, but thats not really muscle building thats weight loss. to BUILD muscle, u have to indulge in CARBS as well as of course the other two macros.

Vido
10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
vido, i think u cant put on muscle on atkins because simply, u cant lose weight and gain weight at the same time. atkins is weight loss, muscle building is weight gain. u can get slim and cut, but thats not really muscle building thats weight loss. to BUILD muscle, u have to indulge in CARBS as well as of course the other two macros.

Atkins just means eating fatty foods, and no carbs. There's no reason you can't do this in a caloric surplus.

txterry
10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
whats was the point of even saying this? I dont understand why youd make a comment like this, what does that have to do with the discussion.

btw, i bet your e-penis is bigger then his also

LOL BigNic .. couldnt agree more :withstupi

BFG123
10-21-2004, 06:23 AM
Atkins diet worked great for me and the people that I've talked to that followed the diet. It is very important to follow the diet as described in the book. Have also talked to people that said the diet didn't work for them but they cheated just a little. Follow the diet exactly no cheating it works well.