PDA

View Full Version : Salami question!

Vvitto
11-04-2001, 07:45 PM
Would salami(italian dry) be a good choice for a cutting diet? if not,is there any type of salami which is good for diet?

V

Tryska
11-04-2001, 07:52 PM
high in sodium, high in fat...so it depends on what type of cutting diet you are on.

syntekz
11-04-2001, 08:15 PM
i wouldn't make it a big part of your diet...

Vvitto
11-04-2001, 08:20 PM
I am in a low fat and low sugar diet> I lost 20 lb in 3 months and Finally my abs are showing up!! I was wondering if there is any low fat salami to make it part of my diet! Try to alternate my diet as I am getting tired of chicken every day...
I am 6`22 and 180 lb!

Hot Shot
11-04-2001, 09:22 PM
salami is evil:evillaugh

Tryska
11-05-2001, 05:00 AM
tuna, turkey, fresh fish, lean cuts of beef. you don't have to eat chicken every day. ham, even, although again there's sodium issues.

body
11-05-2001, 01:15 PM
I am not sure about the legal aspect of salmi eg it may have to have so much fat in it to be called salmi, so low fat salmi would be impossible legally?(like you do not get low fat butter due to legal reasons - its called low fat spread)

But low fat salami would be not be a good product, as a part of the quality in salami is that you can see the fat in the product. with out the fat it might as well be a normally low fat spicy sausage.
I would go for tryksa suggestions.

Jane
11-05-2001, 05:18 PM
If you have a craving for salami, try Jenni-O Lean turkey bacon instead. Its something like 40cals for two slices and about only 1g of fat, I think.

flake
11-05-2001, 05:34 PM
Peperami, - it's a bit of an animal. Question is, which bit? ;)

Salami = lush

Allie
11-05-2001, 06:07 PM
Well as an agri science student I can tell you where pepperoni comes from, but pepperami...no clue, sorry

Pepperoni is actualy a great way to make money in the livestock production business. The main meat ingrediant is pork. It's not your regular market pork though. Instead when they cull an old breeding bore then send him off to the slaughter house and he eventually ends up on a pizza. Thats right after a bore is through the peak of his reproductive years thats not a whole lot that you can do with meat that would have that pungent of a taste so somewhere along the lines they decided thats where they could come up with a product and found a market for it.

Sorry if you all didn't really want to know that tid bit of information. But Dr. Shelle thought we needed to know it for our ANS 110 class

Vvitto
11-05-2001, 07:35 PM
I just found a good low fat salami!!! Its called"lite salami" and is made of turkey,beef and pork.
Its got only 4 g of fat and its a goood source of protein(8g)!

Finally I have to spoil my cravings for salami with a good one!!

Tryska
11-06-2001, 06:36 AM
well now.

i see pepperoni is OFF my list of foods i eat.

thanks allie. :thumbup:

Bullrider Billy
11-06-2001, 08:05 AM
I am Italian, and as a friend of mine pointed out years ago, "you guineas eat all kinds of ****". That was because I was talking about tripe, kidneys, pig's feet and other Italian delicacies :)

I love salami, pepperoni (the real dried stuff, not the greasy Hormel ****). Salami is nothing more than a huge dried sausage. I would also love to try zampone. It is a pig's foot stuffed with ground pork and seasonings, like a giant sausage.

Ah madonna! My mouth is watering! :D

Tryska
11-06-2001, 08:07 AM
i saw a zampone once on molto mario i think. y'all make the scots and their haggis look good. *lol*

Allie
11-06-2001, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tryska
well now.

i see pepperoni is OFF my list of foods i eat.

thanks allie. :thumbup: [/QUOTE

No problem at all :) LOL And people wonder why all I eat is chicken and turkey..........

Bullrider Billy
11-06-2001, 11:24 AM
I think the zampone was Molto Mario! :eek:

Sorry... :D

Tryska
11-06-2001, 11:33 AM
oh no..*lol*

*shakes head and walks away from this thread*

body
11-06-2001, 03:14 PM
haggis - URRRRMMMMMMM.
hagis is lovely and tastey, but a bit high in cholesterol.

alli - i have been to a chicken slaughter house. they get electocuted and then have there necks slit. really pleasant and nice. espcially the stench on a hot day and the blood running under your feet. Hope you enjoy your chicken as much as i do.

the doc
11-06-2001, 03:34 PM
hmmm will pepperoni boost my test levels then???

Tryska
11-06-2001, 05:01 PM
ermm...i think they turn the stud pigs into pepperoni AFTER they've run out of errmm.."juice" so to speak. although the high fat content just might help your test levels some doc!

the doc
11-06-2001, 06:10 PM
darn! Oh well...
*resumes eating pig testicles*

Wizard
11-07-2001, 03:00 AM
*grabs bull testicles and laughs loudly @ doc who doesn't know that bull's testicles are better than the pigs' ones*

the doc
11-07-2001, 05:31 AM
lmao :D

Allie
11-07-2001, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by body
alli - i have been to a chicken slaughter house. they get electocuted and then have there necks slit. really pleasant and nice. espcially the stench on a hot day and the blood running under your feet. Hope you enjoy your chicken as much as i do.

I've seen it all, from slaughtering cattle, hogs, chickens, etc.....no big deal. One of my really good friends in high school, her parents owned and ran their own slaughter house. I would get called all of the time to come and help. But I did more slicing and wrapping. I grew up on a farm, am studying agriscience, and have been on many livestock judging teams it's not like I don't know what happens to market animals.

Scooby-Doo
11-08-2001, 05:01 PM
I like salami !! :D

mmmm good... :drooling: