PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake timing

jgprather
10-14-2004, 09:30 PM
I purchased a protein powder a couple of weeks ago. My intention was to drink a shake every night at bedtime. But it doesn't taste that great and is pricey. Plus, I struggle to eat a high protein breakfast because by the time I finish working out, it's only a couple of hours before lunch.

The shake has both whey and casein protein in it.

So my question is, would I still reap good benefits if I drank my shake for breakfast after my workout every other day instead of before bedtime ebery night? I am not looking to build huge muscle mass.

Thanks.

Vido
10-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Protein powder is food. What benefits are you speaking of?

Drinking it in the morning is fine.

Saint Patrick
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
What flavor is it? Try mixing w/ milk instead of water.

txterry
10-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Current theory sez its most beneficial to drink Whey within a 1 hour period after working out. From what Ive read, casein works best at night cause it sits in your stomach for a while and the slow protein release has an anti-catabolic effect.
However a lot of the good protein blends have both :confused:

matrix5089
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
try difrent brands and flavors find something you can live with. you should be taking in protein throughout the day especially brecfast you just need to make a diet that works for you.

Ironman_1964
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
We need to know the total amount of Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats you consume on a daily basis before we make an assessment.