PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

thajeepster
10-17-2004, 09:53 AM
OK, im trying to gain some mass but ive got a problem, im stuck on a ship and cant go grocery shopping or cook myself healthy foods. I have limited options to the normal staples. Ie quaker instant oatmeal packets instead of quick oats, skippy instead of natty pb, etc etc. Ive made up a somewhat decent meal plan but id like your input please guys, sorry bout the macros, i will check later.

Meal 1
3 whole eggs
2 packets reg quaker instant oatmeal, microwave kind ... 19 c 2 f 4 p each 100 cals
1/2 apple

Meal 2
6 oz chicken or whatever they are serving. Meals here are like school meals, a veggie, a starch (ie potato or noodle) and a protein, but not always cooked healthily, usually around 6 oz or so of chicken, beef or fish.
A large salad, lots of lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Meal 3
Sandwich containing around 4 oz chicken breast, some mushrooms, onions, and 2 peices of reg wheat bread, remember my options are limited here.

Meal 4
Same as meal 2

Meal 5
Scrounging for scraps here, usually whatever i can find with some protein, usually only a cup of milk, maybe some yogurt(flavored kind) some beef jerkey... etc...

Now i can supplement these meals with some other things we have around such as : Milk, more reg oatmeal packets, wheat bread, flavored yogurt, skippy pb, cheese, fruits, and thats about it.

What would you guys recommend i do? Id like to bulk, but i would also like to do it cleanly, sure i can just eat pb and j all the time and stuff my face, but i dont want to pack on sloppy weight. I know you prob think im not eating enough but i used to eat far less, prob around 1400 cals a day for a while, im 5-10 150 lbs probobly 13-14% bf and want to get to around 170. I lift 4 days a week, m-chest t-arms w-off th-back f-shoulders s/su-off. If i can make myself run i will, but i hardly ever do it, i figure i dont eat enough to spare the cals anyways.

Thanks guys, hope to get some good feedback from you.

ryuage
10-17-2004, 10:18 AM
i'd do what you are currently doing except maybe increase the portion size if you arent gaining any weight.

Behemoth
10-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Are you in the military or something?

Looks pretty decent to me, especially considering your limited options. I wouldn't worry to much about it. What you're doing should get the job done.

thajeepster
10-17-2004, 12:28 PM
yeah, im in the marines stationed onboard a ship right now. Question ... Should i skip the skippy pb? or should i go ahead and eat it. I know its got alot of sugar but i dont have much choice.

thajeepster
10-19-2004, 10:00 AM
is it normal for someone who is bulking to go from around 1500-1600 cals a day, yeah i know, but im a small guy, to around 2200 +, and still see all the definition i had, i dont think im gaining weight yet, i do look a little fuller in my muscles, but i have no way to weigh myself as i am stuck on a ship. It gets a little hard when you are rocking up and down, back and forth. Should i increase cals even more, id expected to atleast not be able to see my abs anymore after a couple of weeks of increasing cals? im new to bulking, so any criticism or advice would help.

Rex
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
skippy peanut butter is just fine.

Whatever your weight is multiplied by 18 = the amount of cals you want to eat every day. Just eat that amount and don't worry about anything else.

You're going to need to weigh yourself in a month or two. That's when you adjust calories accordingly. So if you've gained five pounds, multiply your new weight by 18 and eat that amount of cals.

Vido
10-19-2004, 03:38 PM
skippy peanut butter is just fine.

***not really, but I suppose you could do slightly worse like butter or margarine or another spread like that***

Whatever your weight is multiplied by 18 = the amount of cals you want to eat every day. Just eat that amount and don't worry about anything else.

***that's a BS formula, everyone is different***

You're going to need to weigh yourself in a month or two. That's when you adjust calories accordingly. So if you've gained five pounds, multiply your new weight by 18 and eat that amount of cals.

***You could gain A LOT of unwanted weight or waste A LOT of time if you weren't eating enough if you only weighed yourself every 1-2 months. It's stupid to weigh yourself daily, but weekly is probably about right.***

Vido
10-19-2004, 03:39 PM
is it normal for someone who is bulking to go from around 1500-1600 cals a day, yeah i know, but im a small guy, to around 2200 +, and still see all the definition i had, i dont think im gaining weight yet, i do look a little fuller in my muscles, but i have no way to weigh myself as i am stuck on a ship. It gets a little hard when you are rocking up and down, back and forth. Should i increase cals even more, id expected to atleast not be able to see my abs anymore after a couple of weeks of increasing cals? im new to bulking, so any criticism or advice would help.

If you're feeling bigger, but you can still see your abs that's a good thing. Just keep the calories how they are now until you feel like you aren't gaining.

Rex
10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Vido, butter or margarine is worse than skippy from what standpoint? Saturated fat? This guy is concerned about sugar, and I don't think skippy peanut butter is a significant source of sugar.

Sure, everyone is different. Ultimately only the individual can determine what works or doesn't work for their body. I think weight x 18 represents a good starting point, ideally he would adjust after a week or two.

Vido
10-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Vido, butter or margarine is worse than skippy from what standpoint? Saturated fat? This guy is concerned about sugar, and I don't think skippy peanut butter is a significant source of sugar.

My point was that natural peanut butter is what is recommended and even it isn't "that great" a source of fat. Skippy peanut butter is just a bunch of hydrogenated oils...not exactly what one wants to be eating.

thajeepster
10-19-2004, 05:06 PM
thanks guys for all the advice, ive got one more question, how important is cardio when bulking. I absolutely despise running.

Behemoth
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
thanks guys for all the advice, ive got one more question, how important is cardio when bulking. I absolutely despise running.

It's not necessary at all. If you're trying to gain weight and hate doing it there is no reason to do it unless perhaps a doc told you otherwise and you have a conditition or something we're unaware of.

Eat the skippy. You're not going to be on the ship the rest of your life are you? A few months of it or whatever won't harm your health. You'll gain fine.