PDA

View Full Version : How much cardio while bulking?

Focused
10-17-2004, 01:43 PM
i was considering doing maybe two 30 minute sessions a week..i mean doing a lot of cardio just cancels out the whole purpose of bulking right? or no? because i will be taking 2000 cal weight gainer, so maybe the cardio wont matter? because every time i do cardio i probably burn around 300-400 calories..i dunno any suggestions? i just dont want to develop a round belly while im doing this, yet i still want to get big.

shootermcgavin7
10-17-2004, 01:51 PM
i just dont want to develop a round belly while im doing this, yet i still want to get big.

That's a tough task while you're bulking, cardio or no.

Shad
10-17-2004, 02:31 PM
try HIIT and/or Max-OT cardio

Both 16-20 minniute cardio sessions recomended for about 4-5 times a week.

Both making you go all out for the selected time but with intervals.

Zearoth
10-17-2004, 03:35 PM
It's fine to do cardio while on a bulking cycle. Just remember that you're burning calories doing so, so compensate by eating more.

Shad
10-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Zearoth,

the idea of cardio is to burn calories. There really is no other purpose to it.

Focused,

Dont eat more, the idea here is obtain the daily recomended intake of calories (with appropriate protein,fat and carb ratios). Cardio is to burn any excess fats, protein and carbs that we dont use during our lifting sessions. This will minimize any fat gain and improve vo2 (cardiovascular efficency).

Zearoth
10-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Zearoth,

Cardiovascular activity does burn calories, but it also improves your health as a whole (working your heart, post workout benefits, etc). For example, bulking with light cardio and increased caloric intake would be more beneficial to your body than completely eliminating cardio and just eating to gain weight.

Some people like to incorporate cardio into their bulks just so that its mcu easier to get it done by the time you're ready to cut. It's also a good idea if you want to stay in good cardiovascular shape while you're gaining those extra pounds.

I do see your point though, and no I don't do any cardio either. Just some points to consider, indicating that cardio is not a complete waste of time.

RichLockyer
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
At lighter workloads, cardio's primary purpose is to burn calories.
At high intensity levels, for moderate periods (20-30 min max), it's primary purpose is to build the cardiovascular system. MAJOR benefits in this, from the aforementioned overall health improvements to improved vascularization.
Improved vascularization helps the muscles recover, as well as overall efficiency improvements in the body. As a scuba diver, my air consumption dropped by 30% after 3 months of working out.

Shad
10-18-2004, 01:21 PM
but the point of cardio relating to bulking is to burn calories. I was not referring to it generally.

The fact that cardio is an efficient way to burn calories is great, allows you to consume all required protein, fat and carb requirements daily and you can do this without putting on a belly!

I am also trying to argue that cardio should be done during bulking stages, this could possibly make your bulking cycle longer since there will be less of a need for cutting until later times.

Zearoth
10-18-2004, 04:39 PM
The fact that cardio is an efficient way to burn calories is great, allows you to consume all required protein, fat and carb requirements daily and you can do this without putting on a belly!

I am also trying to argue that cardio should be done during bulking stages, this could possibly make your bulking cycle longer since there will be less of a need for cutting until later times.

I'm glad you agree with me. :)

TTT
10-18-2004, 04:47 PM
And doing cardio makes you feel frickin awesome!! :)

Focused
10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
okay, this is my plan. i will continue to try to keep my diet clean and i will continue to take my 2000+ weight gainer i will also continue to do cardio to keep everything neat...the way i figure if im taking a 2000+ calories a day, burning off 300 calories isnt putting much of a dent into it....i just want to avoid getting that overlapping round belly.,..they are so hard to work off

BlingMeter
10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
i try to stick in 20min a day 4 times a week. so far im slackin on that!

Mic Soloist
10-20-2004, 03:03 AM
I don't do cardio during a bulk other than some basketball now and then. I have to hug the elliptical enough during cuts. I hate cardio other than playing sports.

carlossalsa8
10-20-2004, 03:13 PM
You can just add more cals and do cardio, or keep the cals as they are and do less cardio. I would just add more cals and do more cardio if I were bulking.

Max-Mex
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Zearoth,

Bah! You know that's just plain wrong Shad.

EDIT: I see your second post, nm.

antihero
10-20-2004, 05:36 PM
i do zero cardio while bulking, i get best results that way....

Shankerr
10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
I usually try to do about two or three 30 minute sessions per week. Basically just walking at an incline on a treadmill. But I also eat upwards of 7000 cals a day when I bulk, so you might want to adjust the cardio amount according to your diet.

BlingMeter
10-20-2004, 08:31 PM
eating 3000cals a day and running 20min a day 4 times a week is the same as bulking right? same effects just ur not gaining the fat, and still gaining the creditable muscle you would during a bulk?