PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Fears

ichbinschneller
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
About two weeks ago I swithced from a cutting fat burning diet to a mass building diet. At first the idea of eating so much was awesome coming from under eating and doing lots of cardio. But I have to admit I am starting to get a little weirded out by possibly gaining body fat.

I am

5' 10''
142 lbs
7% body fat
most closely resemble a mesomorph

I have been working out 4 days a week, (2 on - 1 off - 2 on - 2 off)
and I eat on average 3500 calories a day (50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat)

Am I eating too much. I have noticed some (little) fat gains. I do desperately want to put mass on but I am starting to get freaked out by the fat thing. Any suggestions or words of encouragment from some veterans.

Vido
10-18-2004, 05:10 PM
At 5'10 142 lbs you can afford to put on a lot of weight, even if some of it is coming from fat.

Frozenmoses
10-18-2004, 05:11 PM
How many cals were you eating previously? I wouldn't advise to jump up your caloric intake drastically right away. Add 100 or so every day until you get to a level where you're gaining at the rate you desire.

ichbinschneller
10-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Before I started mass training I was eating any where from 1800 to 2500 caloreis depending on my level of activity for the day. iwas doing cardio for half hour 5 days a week and then weight training with no real improvment. I did this for like 6 months until I realized the complete error of my ways. so I have increased my calories by like 800 clories and stopped all the cardio and have gone back to free weights. I guess my main problem is getting past the fear of gaining fat when I know I have potential to gain lots of muscle. I remeber during my high school years being able to put muscle on by just thinking about it, but I am a little sceptical that that is still the case.

Vido
10-18-2004, 05:20 PM
You could double your bodyfat % and still look fine...just start eating.

Frozenmoses
10-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Well if you're worried about fat gain, just make sure you're eating clean. You're gonna need to eat a lot, it sounds like. Eat healthy stuff and you should minimize any fat gain while promoting muscle growth.

ichbinschneller
10-18-2004, 05:25 PM
I mos def eat clean always have and always will. Thanks for the encouragement.

RBC13
10-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Doing some cardio on your offdays, 2-3 times a week will probably minimize fat gain.

CraigVA286
10-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Quit worrying and start eating, and dont forget the compound lifts

ichbinschneller
10-19-2004, 02:10 PM
I know I know, I can already see fat accumulating but I am anal sometiems so I might be so used to checking this type of progression so its alittle hard to deal with at frist. But I am committed. I am sticking to free weights right now (compound lifts). Do to my busy schedule I am starting to move towards an every other day lift cycle where I rotate upper and lower body. so upper body then day off then lower body then day off and then repeat. Its the only way I have found time to work out. Has anyone had problems with this type of routine?

Gizotch
10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
im 5'10 and i went from 145 to 159 in about 2 months , and i still look like a skinny guy . dont worry , just eat .

Max-Mex
10-19-2004, 03:25 PM
About two weeks ago I swithced from a cutting fat burning diet to a mass building diet. At first the idea of eating so much was awesome coming from under eating and doing lots of cardio. But I have to admit I am starting to get a little weirded out by possibly gaining body fat.

I am

5' 10''
142 lbs
7% body fat
most closely resemble a mesomorph

I have been working out 4 days a week, (2 on - 1 off - 2 on - 2 off)
and I eat on average 3500 calories a day (50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat)

Am I eating too much. I have noticed some (little) fat gains. I do desperately want to put mass on but I am starting to get freaked out by the fat thing. Any suggestions or words of encouragment from some veterans.

It's part of bulking. If you can't deal with the fat gain, then it's not for you. You could do a very slow bulk, but results will take longer. All I have to say is my bulking experiment, even though tough to deal with as far as fat gain was concerned, well worth the end result. I'm cutting now and I love the changes I've accomplished.