PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift problem

Jezmason
10-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Hey guys, i tried doing some DL's yesterday and no matter what i cant keep form at the bottom of the lift, my back always bends when i get to a certain point (usually when the bar is about 8 inches from the floor), i've tried lowering the weight but i still cant do it, should i just do them to the point where my back can stay straight and then go back up?

ryuage
10-19-2004, 06:04 AM
keep lowering the weight bro, don;t lift with your ego

Relentless
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
definitely lower the weight until you can achieve good form and then work back up

are you doing sumos or conventionals?

also, a trick I learned for deads is to "dip your hips"... once you have taken a grip on the bar with both hands and you are in position, dip your hips down towards the ground and push out with your chest a little... this will allow your shoulders to drop down and get you properly positioned over the bar. THen pull as normal and you should be able to maintain a properly positioned back.

a couple of other things occur to me:
- have you had any low back injury and/or have you ever exercised your low back directly before? could just be your spinal erectors are weak

- are you pulling "back" in your motion? If you are starting with the bar too far in front of you, this will skew your pull and you wind up just pulling 'up' but not 'back' and this leads to rounding the back. I believe you should be starting with your shoulders above the bar and through the motion you are pulling "up and back"... I find that I'm usually so close to the bar on heavy deads that it scrapes my shins a bit, creating "Dead Treads". :)

Relentless
10-19-2004, 06:58 AM
note: moved this to PL forum to get better responses for ya, Jezmason. :)

SW
10-19-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm with RYUAGE, drop weight untill you can do it perfectly, then increase. No shame in doing it, I've done it before.

Anthony
10-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Increase hamstring flexibility and try to keep your hips lower during the initial pull. If your hamstrings are tight, your back will compensate by rounding. Keeping your hips low during the initial pull will also allow you to use more hips/legs and therefore keep your back in a strong position.

Vido
10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
You can always do pulls off the rack instead, albeit that's more avoiding the problem than correcting it.

chris mason
10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure I would be too concerned. One of the greatest deadlifters of all-time lifted with a rounded back (Bob Peoples).

Do you feel as though you might injure your back while you are doing the movement?

Saturday Fever
10-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Weak lower back. If your hips shoot up and you end up SLDL'ing the weight, your lower back is the weakness.

There's nothing wrong with doing them that way, UNLESS YOUR LOWER BACK ROUNDS. Your upper back SHOULD round forward (see Dave Tate's article on Deadlift Mistakes) and having your pull look like a SLDL is not entirely improper. But it doesn point out a weakness you'll want to address.

GMCtrk
10-19-2004, 05:30 PM
The cool thing about Deadlifts, unlike anyother lift is that with good form you will lift more weight than with bad form.

pusher
10-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Increase hamstring flexibility and try to keep your hips lower during the initial pull. If your hamstrings are tight, your back will compensate by rounding. Keeping your hips low during the initial pull will also allow you to use more hips/legs and therefore keep your back in a strong position.

Excellent advice.

I like to squat down ATF in front of the bar before the lift and stretch my hips/groin a bit to make sure I know to keep my hips low on the lift.

Brad Cardoza
10-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Try to start incorporating more Stiff Leg Deadlifts (keeping back arched). I also agree with lowering the weight to the point that you can remain arched throughout the entire ROM. Start doing some arched back GM's to paralell, this does the trick for a lot of my clients.

Jezmason
10-21-2004, 03:38 AM
I've tried them without any weight at all just using the bar and my back still arches so i may just have to do it like that, thanks for all the advice guys. As for Chris' question, i dont fell like i'm gonna injur myself, i just get a reaL sore lower back afterwards but thats probably just muscle soreness on my lower back. Also my form is much better with dumbells it's just that eventually they'll get too light for me to do DL's with and the plates always fall of the olympic db's when i try it with a heavy weight.

Adam
10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
IMO sore muscles = not much to worry about , sore tendons/ligaments/joints = major problem

Newfie D
10-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Callahan mentioned this, but have you ever done sumo's? it's easier to keep the lower back arched with a sumo i find (& the lower back has less stress on it in sumo vs conventional).

& I second what Brad said, arched back good mornings as an accessory help a lot.

BlingMeter
10-24-2004, 12:50 PM
http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=photo&id=90755

i dead lift like that