PDA

View Full Version : 2 Part Q: cooking of meat / quality of frozen veggies

jazer80
10-19-2004, 03:00 PM
okay lately i've been taking it back to the basics. i'm just eating insane quantities of meat and veggies, and tons of milk. gathered some questions in the past weeks though:
1) i like meat rare, like ultra bloody rare. also i cook my chicken rare, if that's even what you call it. i think i can't chew properly because i grind teeth while sleeping so it's much easier for me to eat rarer meats. anyways i know there can be health risks associated w/ undercooked meats, but is this something where one time i'll undercook the wrong piece of meat and i'll be sick, or over a period of time of consuming undercooked meat i'll get a problem? also, and i know all problems like this are 'serious', but is there real worries? i mean if you get salmonella or something are you laid out in the hospital or do you just gg see a doc?

2) frozen veggies. i recently made the switch to the more convenient and cheaper and better variety of frozen, mixed veggies. i know they don't taste as good as fresh ones, and that they lose some of their nutritional value, but for all intents and purposes are they close enough nutritionally to their fresh produce counterparts?

Monkey
10-19-2004, 03:04 PM
in reply to ur first question u shud always cook ur meat properly u dotn want to be ill for weeks or however long u are and not be able to trian or loose what mas su have gained,

Jabberwocky
10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
1) You can eat steaks however you want it rare bloody. However dont under cook your chicken or pork, because lots of nasty nasty stuff there.

2) Iam not sure if there is a big diff in nutritional values on veg vs frozen veg. I would assume as long as you are cooking your vegetables properly you should be ok.

Vido
10-19-2004, 03:20 PM
:withstupi

Max-Mex
10-19-2004, 03:22 PM
okay lately i've been taking it back to the basics. i'm just eating insane quantities of meat and veggies, and tons of milk. gathered some questions in the past weeks though:
1) i like meat rare, like ultra bloody rare. also i cook my chicken rare, if that's even what you call it. i think i can't chew properly because i grind teeth while sleeping so it's much easier for me to eat rarer meats. anyways i know there can be health risks associated w/ undercooked meats, but is this something where one time i'll undercook the wrong piece of meat and i'll be sick, or over a period of time of consuming undercooked meat i'll get a problem? also, and i know all problems like this are 'serious', but is there real worries? i mean if you get salmonella or something are you laid out in the hospital or do you just gg see a doc?

Thoroughly cook any meats that you eat. Worst that could happen? Severe food posioning, out for month(s). Better to be safe than sorry.

2) frozen veggies. i recently made the switch to the more convenient and cheaper and better variety of frozen, mixed veggies. i know they don't taste as good as fresh ones, and that they lose some of their nutritional value, but for all intents and purposes are they close enough nutritionally to their fresh produce counterparts?

More fibre and nutrients in fresh raw veggies. Just means you have to eat more frozen/cooked veggies to get the same nutritional values. Not that it's a big deal because most veggies are low in cals.

raniali
10-19-2004, 03:25 PM
1) salmonella or other food-borne illnesses are usually acquired from eating the wrong piece of meat/food at the wrong time. interesting enough, one of the common sources of salmonella is melons (or other fruit). it lives on the rind and when cutting the melon, the bug is transferred to the flesh.

read this for more food poisoning info: http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/foodsafety/poisoning.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/poison.html

2) i compared the nutrient facts for 100g peas, frozen -vs- 100g peas, fresh. vitamins and minerals were lower in all cases for the frozen specimen except salt was higher (of course). so for all intents and nutritionally purposes, they are not equivalent. if you are supplementing with a multi-vitamin/mineral, i don't see an issue so much except that FRESH is ALWAYS better, but some is better than none.

fresh >> frozen >> canned >> dehydrated and flaked (think instant potatoes) -- so it's not the worst you could do.

jazer80
10-19-2004, 08:47 PM
i know you can't giive me a figure but are they like 90% as good as fresh or 30%? i mean if i gotta eat twice as much the whole novelty kind of goes away

RBC13
10-19-2004, 10:19 PM
They are almost equal, don't sweat it. Food is food, whether frozen or fresh. 90-99% as good is how i would rate them.

Dirt
10-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Two things: Cook your meats thoroughly especially pork and chicken. Salmonella is no joke, there's no point in bodybuilding only to lose 30lbs by spending time in the hospital and weeks/months out of the gym in bed deathly ill because you didn't cook your food properly. Also don't worry about fresh vs. frozen, you're not going to notice any difference in your life if you rely on frozen rather than fresh vegetables. As RBC said, don't sweat the details.