PDA

View Full Version : time to start bulking? advice

latinomasfino
10-20-2004, 11:03 PM
ok well ive stop my cut and although i improved a lot i want to gain more muscle so i have decided to bulk...this time doing it right..
this is me about a 4 weeks ago at 161lbs with 14% bf
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/IMG_2603.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/IMG_2567.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/IMG_2560.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/IMG_2557.jpg

its been 3 weeks wiht my bulk and im at 165...is this good? also ive kept my protein high at 160-170grams daily and carbs increased to 135grams also my fat i try to keep to a minimum like less than 15grams...ive also stepped it up at the gym workin out more wiht 4 sets per exercise instead of 3...ive doing it ilke this .. 12 10 8 and 6 thsi was a tip this bodybuilder at my gym advised me to do well see how this goes should i bulk to 180??

latinomasfino
10-20-2004, 11:06 PM
this was me when i first started monitoring my intake of food and relalyin started my first cut ever
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/IMG_1409.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/doublebiceppose.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/back3.jpg
this was back in feb when i started my cut

hklifter
10-21-2004, 07:38 PM
lookin good dude.
but if your only eating what you say your are, your only at 1400cal max. thats nuts! your still cutting... and even at that, 1400 is EXTREEMLY low. start upping the calories. im 150lbs 5'9 8%bf, and taking in ~2800cal just to maintain. keep the calories clean and you'll be gaining solid bulk. the little fat you will gain will be very minimal if you keep for foods clean (obviously cheating once in a while for your sanity).
whats your diet look like now??

latinomasfino
10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
lookin good dude.
but if your only eating what you say your are, your only at 1400cal max. thats nuts! your still cutting... and even at that, 1400 is EXTREEMLY low. start upping the calories. im 150lbs 5'9 8%bf, and taking in ~2800cal just to maintain. keep the calories clean and you'll be gaining solid bulk. the little fat you will gain will be very minimal if you keep for foods clean (obviously cheating once in a while for your sanity).

yea well during my cut at the max cut i was intaking around 1300 cal to 1400 see i include an extra 150 caloreis that i might have not included. same wiht my bulking now its up to 1500-1600 a day i am gonna increase slowly that way i do not put on soo much weight in fat...

my diet

breakfast
butterbean turkey slices - 6 5 gram protein per slice (30)
small onion
i medium red bell pepper
1 cup of cooked brown rice
teryaki sause with brown sugar
4 egg whites (17)
1 mediium tomato
mid day snack
fiber one cereal 1 cup

lunch
chargrilled chicken sandwich from chic filla (30)

after noon sncak
tuna 4oz can in a salad with romain lettuce and tomatoes (33)

perwork out snack
1 cup brown rice cooked
1 cup cottage cheese 2 %

after work out meal/dinner
turkey breast 7 oz or chicken breastes 9 oz (40)
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup of portabello mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 medium tomatoe
other minor stuff might in clude 2 tbs of low fat ice cream or i tbs of cinnanmon toast crunch LOL
maybe a plum or kewi here and there

what uguys think protein is probablay 155-170 range carbs around 130-150 range and fat umm 15-20grams nno more

latinomasfino
10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
also what else can i eat besides brown rice to bulk LOL its funny cause when i was 179 it was soo hard to loose weight nwo that im 165 its hard to gain weight :cry:

latinomasfino
10-21-2004, 11:22 PM
lookin good dude.

yo u gots some pics to compare i wanna see how im doing

Vido
10-21-2004, 11:37 PM
also what else can i eat besides brown rice to bulk LOL its funny cause when i was 179 it was soo hard to loose weight nwo that im 165 its hard to gain weight :cry:

Do you mean what other sources of carbs? Oats, yams, and veggies are good, clean sources. Things like pasta and white potatoes won't kill you either.

You're saying you're having a tough time gaining weight, but you're only eating 1600 cals/day. Call me crazy, but that COULD be your problem.

latinomasfino
10-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Do you mean what other sources of carbs? Oats, yams, and veggies are good, clean sources. Things like pasta and white potatoes won't kill you either.

You're saying you're having a tough time gaining weight, but you're only eating 1600 cals/day. Call me crazy, but that COULD be your problem.

LOL ok let me rephrase that im having a hard time gaining a clean weight LOL also would my carb intake come close to my protein intake? my protein intake is aorund 150-170 so shoudl my carb be that amount?
how long should i bulk for?

Vido
10-22-2004, 12:07 AM
LOL ok let me rephrase that im having a hard time gaining a clean weight LOL also would my carb intake come close to my protein intake? my protein intake is aorund 150-170 so shoudl my carb be that amount?
how long should i bulk for?

I'm surprised you're gaining any weight at 1600 calories/day, and even more surprised that it's not muscle (assuming you're lifting weights)...seems very odd to me. In any event, this is what I always suggest. First, you want at least 1g protein/lb bodyweight. Second, you need your EFA's (healthy fats). Make these a good 20-30% of your diet. Carbs are then the balance of your remaining allowable calories.

You bulk until you are unhappy with the amount of fat you have on you. I mean no one wants to have any fat at all, but you cease bulking when you just really can't take it anymore.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm surprised you're gaining any weight at 1600 calories/day, and even more surprised that it's not muscle (assuming you're lifting weights)...seems very odd to me. In any event, this is what I always suggest. First, you want at least 1g protein/lb bodyweight. Second, you need your EFA's (healthy fats). Make these a good 20-30% of your diet. Carbs are then the balance of your remaining allowable calories.

You bulk until you are unhappy with the amount of fat you have on you. I mean no one wants to have any fat at all, but you cease bulking when you just really can't take it anymore.

ok well 1 gram of protein per lb or body wieght i got that down,,,,as for fats umm what kind do u mean ( i used olive oil in my cooking not that much though) i take omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplemtns everyday.....so my diet should be 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fats?
and when u say untilll i cant take it umm if u notice the pic of me in feb...that is not how i will look bulked correct?

Vido
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
ok well 1 gram of protein per lb or body wieght i got that down,,,,as for fats umm what kind do u mean ( i used olive oil in my cooking not that much though) i take omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplemtns everyday.....so my diet should be 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fats?
and when u say untilll i cant take it umm if u notice the pic of me in feb...that is not how i will look bulked correct?

Olive oil is good, so are flax and fish oils, nuts, and natural peanut butter is decent.

As far as how fat you get, that's individual. I know some people who would go way past what you were in February, and others who wouldn't let themselves look like you do now.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Olive oil is good, so are flax and fish oils, nuts, and natural peanut butter is decent.

As far as how fat you get, that's individual. I know some people who would go way past what you were in February, and others who wouldn't let themselves look like you do now.

yea i was at 19% BF in feb i dont think that was a good % also my diet had consisted of way too much carbs and not enought protein....this is what i ultimatly want to achiebve http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/latinomasfino/36716bartra02.jpg

i know i have to keep eating to reach my goal of 180 so then i can cut to 170 though u said ur suprised im gaining weight welli inono cause its like been 165-167 this past week so its like 2-3 lbs increase in teh past 2 weeks...also i notice that my abs are going away i guess cause of the increase in weight. thast normal right?

Vido
10-22-2004, 01:04 AM
You want to be gaining about a lb/week, so it sounds like you're on the right track. Your abs probably will go away eventually, but there shouldn't be much of an effect on them after only a 2-3lb weight increase.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 01:06 AM
You want to be gaining about a lb/week, so it sounds like you're on the right track. Your abs probably will go away eventually, but there shouldn't be much of an effect on them after only a 2-3lb weight increase.
yea i know like they are still visable but inoo i can just feel that im gaining weight u know i feel it guess the 1lb a week is wokring for me is 180lbs a good goal to shoot for i am 6ft

Vido
10-22-2004, 01:20 AM
That's a good short term goal. When you hit 180 I can guarantee you won't be satisfied with your size. That doesn't mean you can't cut when you hit 180, it just means that on the subsequent bulk cycle you should shoot for 190, and 200, and 210, and so on. I could be way off, but if that guy in your pic is 6ft I'd say he's at least 200lbs (and he's %$#@ing ripped), so you'd have to hit something like 220-230 to cut down to his size. Don't let those numbers scare you, they're just estimates. I'm warning you, however, that you will never be satisfied with your size.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 01:35 AM
That's a good short term goal. When you hit 180 I can guarantee you won't be satisfied with your size. That doesn't mean you can't cut when you hit 180, it just means that on the subsequent bulk cycle you should shoot for 190, and 200, and 210, and so on. I could be way off, but if that guy in your pic is 6ft I'd say he's at least 200lbs (and he's %$#@ing ripped), so you'd have to hit something like 220-230 to cut down to his size. Don't let those numbers scare you, they're just estimates. I'm warning you, however, that you will never be satisfied with your size.

i know exactly wut u mean man like when i started cutting and i reached the end of my cut everyone was like damn u look good prety big but in reality i was not satisfied thats y i am bulking so i can attain more muscle mass then cut back then do it again i know its gonan take time thast y i wanna do it right by just bulking abour 15-20lbs to 180 cause if i go to 200 rigth away thast like 35-40lbs most of which i know would be fat so i dont want that to happen...as for the guy i have to idea how tall he is. basicaly i want vin diesel body wiht a bit more mass :thumbup:

CraigVA286
10-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Dont be afraid of fat.

You will never bulk if you eat less than 15 grams of fat a day. You wont get your body hungry if you dont eat fats, limiting your bulking even more.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Dont be afraid of fat.

You will never bulk if you eat less than 15 grams of fat a day. You wont get your body hungry if you dont eat fats, limiting your bulking even more.

i know i have to consume fat that is not saturated ..stuff like nuts and salmon i heard is good how much would i expect my BF to rise from 15% at 166 right now?

hklifter
10-22-2004, 06:45 AM
fats don't make you fat... eating crap makes you fat. fats are essential to hormone function, vitamin transportation etc. the entire outter wall of all your body's cells are made of phospholipids (fat!) so if your limmiting them to 15g, you aint' gunna grow (btw, i go to school for this stuff- 2nd yr human kinetics)

i shoot for about 60g of fat per day... comming from sunflower seeds, olive oil, fish, PB, anything high in the unsaturates.

i can also see that you obviously scared of gaining fat. you got to let this go dude, if you worried about the very minimal fat gain, your not going to see any muscle gain. think of it this way, if your eating quality foods, and working out hard wouldn't your body rather use the extra nutrients you give it to build muscle not fat?

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 07:19 AM
fats don't make you fat... eating crap makes you fat. fats are essential to hormone function, vitamin transportation etc. the entire outter wall of all your body's cells are made of phospholipids (fat!) so if your limmiting them to 15g, you aint' gunna grow (btw, i go to school for this stuff- 2nd yr human kinetics)

i shoot for about 60g of fat per day... comming from sunflower seeds, olive oil, fish, PB, anything high in the unsaturates.

i can also see that you obviously scared of gaining fat. you got to let this go dude, if you worried about the very minimal fat gain, your not going to see any muscle gain. think of it this way, if your eating quality foods, and working out hard wouldn't your body rather use the extra nutrients you give it to build muscle not fat?

true im also thinkin about minoring in dietetics but yea i know the important role fat plays in our body im just trying to figure out how i have gained more muslce during my cut than when i was in feb..i was consuming around 2400-2000 calories a day

damn 60grams a day how tall are u? have any pics i would reallllyl ike to see how ur diet has helped u out

hklifter
10-22-2004, 07:35 AM
heres a pic dude... and heres my stats.
5'9, 145-150lbs, ~9%bf
let me know if you have any more questions.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
heres a pic dude... and heres my stats.
5'9, 145-150lbs, ~9%bf
let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks for the help man looks like u need to me bulkin too ;) heeh
could use some work on the pecs how long have u been lifting? and how much calories do u consume a day?

hklifter
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
im bulkin right now... and i do need it!!
i was about 165 last year, but was painting all summer, and not hitting the gym, so i ened up loosing alot of muscle.
im eating between 2500-3000cals a day, im not super strict on my diet, im just making sure i eat at least 400cals every 3 hrs... and at least 150lbs of protein. i don't see the need to be super strict about caloric intake. as long as im gaining slowly im happy.

hklifter
10-22-2004, 02:24 PM
heres what i eat yesterday... just for your reference.

meal 1 (10am)
2/3cup oatbran (dry)
1 cup skim milk
1 scoop of whey
1 apple

meal 2 (1pm)
2/3 cup (dry) oatmeal
4 egg whites with some salsa and fat free cheese
1 tbs natural PB

meal 3 (4pm PWO)
1 scoop whey
1 cup skim milk
1 bannana

meal 4 (6pm)
1 chicken breast
2 slices of flax bread
1 tbs natural PB

meal 5 (9pm)
1 chicken breast
huge salad with salsa and fat free sour cream

meal 6 (11pm)
2/3 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/2 scoop whey powder
1 1/2 tbs natural PB

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 05:42 PM
heres what i eat yesterday... just for your reference.

meal 1 (10am)
2/3cup oatbran (dry)
1 cup skim milk
1 scoop of whey
1 apple

meal 2 (1pm)
2/3 cup (dry) oatmeal
4 egg whites with some salsa and fat free cheese
1 tbs natural PB

meal 3 (4pm PWO)
1 scoop whey
1 cup skim milk
1 bannana

meal 4 (6pm)
1 chicken breast
2 slices of flax bread
1 tbs natural PB

meal 5 (9pm)
1 chicken breast
huge salad with salsa and fat free sour cream

meal 6 (11pm)
2/3 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/2 scoop whey powder
1 1/2 tbs natural PB

looks ok but u dont seem to be intaking taht much complex carbs mayve some brown rice could benefit u..
also most of ur protein is in whey form i know they taught u in nutriction class that its better to have it in natural food than in powdered form..the rest is good doesnt look like 2500-3000 well i think like one fourth of those carlories are coming from the peanut butter which is not that nutrient dense just my 2 cents ;)

Vido
10-22-2004, 06:30 PM
fats don't make you fat... eating crap makes you fat.

Not true. Eating too many calories makes you fat, whether they be from good or bad sources. If your maintenance calories are 3000, and you only consume 2500 calories, even if all 2500 cals come from pizza and cookies, you won't gain fat.

hklifter
10-22-2004, 06:49 PM
thats just yesterday's intake... i mix it up. tuna, salmon, turkey, buffalo, lean steak, lots of veggies etc etc. i get whey powerder pretty much for free, so i like to take advantage of it in the am... and pwo.

latinomasfino
10-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Not true. Eating too many calories makes you fat, whether they be from good or bad sources. If your maintenance calories are 3000, and you only consume 2500 calories, even if all 2500 cals come from pizza and cookies, you won't gain fat.

i was about to say the same thing that its all about caloric intake....but u do want to try to comsume more protein than fats because from what i have read is that protein is not stored in the same way that carbs and fats can be stored for future use so its not gonna be stored in as fat...aslo from the pics of some people when they bulk it seems to me that most of them have only increased a noticeble size of their guts and their love hadles and not much muscle y is that? is it becuase they start consumming food too fast thus gaining weight way to fast?

Vido
10-23-2004, 01:34 AM
i was about to say the same thing that its all about caloric intake....but u do want to try to comsume more protein than fats because from what i have read is that protein is not stored in the same way that carbs and fats can be stored for future use so its not gonna be stored in as fat...aslo from the pics of some people when they bulk it seems to me that most of them have only increased a noticeble size of their guts and their love hadles and not much muscle y is that? is it becuase they start consumming food too fast thus gaining weight way to fast?

Protein cannot directly be stored as fat, but it can be converted and then stored.

If you're gaining fat and not muscle (and you're working out properly), then the problem is simply a poor diet (and yes, increasing cals too quickly can do this).

latinomasfino
10-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Protein cannot directly be stored as fat, but it can be converted and then stored.

If you're gaining fat and not muscle (and you're working out properly), then the problem is simply a poor diet (and yes, increasing cals too quickly can do this).

yup precisely umm also about fat..on a bulk how much increase in BF should i be prepared to gain? im 167 at 15%

ryuage
10-23-2004, 06:49 AM
everyone is different...

Vido
10-23-2004, 01:07 PM
:withstupi

orbital
10-23-2004, 03:02 PM
I think you need to up your calories quite a bit as well in order to achieve your goals. I am 6' also and I have bulked up to 180lbs (where you were before your cut I think). I take in 4000 calories a day. There is no way that I could gain weight at the 2000 calories or so that you said you are consuming a day.

Again, to compare, b/c we are the same height, I agree with the others, you shouldn't be afraid of a little BF. I plan on going to at least 190lbs before I start to cut. 180lbs at 6' doesn't look fat imo and its basically winter now anyways heh, gl.

latinomasfino
10-23-2004, 08:32 PM
I think you need to up your calories quite a bit as well in order to achieve your goals. I am 6' also and I have bulked up to 180lbs (where you were before your cut I think). I take in 4000 calories a day. There is no way that I could gain weight at the 2000 calories or so that you said you are consuming a day.

Again, to compare, b/c we are the same height, I agree with the others, you shouldn't be afraid of a little BF. I plan on going to at least 190lbs before I start to cut. 180lbs at 6' doesn't look fat imo and its basically winter now anyways heh, gl.

hehe yup its winter so im not afraid i just hope like ill be able to get back down again..yea i wil eventually start consuming 3000 or so calories
but i think its better to take it one week at a time cuase i dont think its progressive so one week eat 1400 calories then suddelny the next week start consuming 3000 calories

orbital
10-24-2004, 01:48 PM
yup, thats the way to go.

ichbinschneller
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Im fairly new at this but I would also have to agree with increaing your caloric intake. Im 5' 10" @ 144 lbs now and I am eating around 3500 calories a day. I am kinda like you in that I just finished a major cut cycle so I think your hightened sense of fat gains is do to you being used to constantly monitoring it. I was like that as well until just recently when I decided to say f-it and not worry about the fat gains. I have a gained a litttle bit of fat on my stomahc but I think I am the only one who can truely notice. Also some body fat I think makes us look healthier. My body fat % was way to low coming off of my last cut.

hklifter
10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
i hear ya ichbinschneller... i im 5'10, 144 now also. i pretty much cut all summer, and lost a good bit of muscle with it... i think its only natural to not what to gain the gat back that you worked so hard to loose. what does a typical day look like for u diet wise? im haveing a hard time putting back more then 3000cals...

ichbinschneller
10-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Work Out day Yesterday Complete Upper Body
this meal plan is higher in protein than I would normally eat but I ate in a hurry yesterday.
Meal 1 pre work out
2 Whey
2 Outmeal
1 serving raisins
1 i slice whole grain bread
1 tbsp jam
820 calories

Meal 2 Post work out shake
3 tbsp gatorade
2 servings whey
1 serving low fat milk
1 banana
600 calories

Meal 3
2 servings pasta
1 chicken breast
570 calories

MEal 4
2 servings low fat milk
1 whey
1 apple
1 serving grapefeuit juice
450 calories

meal 5
chicken
soup
greenbeans
400 calories

meal 6
whey milk
360 calories

beadtime
peanutbutter
tuna
300 calories

Grand total 3500

Too much whey but I was on the go yesterday so I had to drink most of my food. I have some better meal plans I could show you as well but this is what I ate yesterday.

SalahG
10-28-2004, 04:46 PM
This is all bull **** that I'm hearing. I hate people that say "IT'S ALL ABOUT CALORIC DEFICIT, SEE I LOST WEIGHT", yeah, eat 500 cals under maintenince, and make everything you eat ice cream and pizza. You'll lose weight, but it won't be fat.

_-_v_-_
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
You might want to talk to Lyle McDonald about that. I think he'd beg to differ.

SalahG
10-28-2004, 06:07 PM
You might want to talk to Lyle McDonald about that. I think he'd beg to differ.
I don't care what he thinks. I know from my own experience, and that is all I need.

_-_v_-_
10-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I meant no offense; please keep this civil.

I have to say, however, that such an attitude toward research, toward science, is hardly productive -- anecdotal experience cannot substitute for experimental evidence.

Vido
10-28-2004, 07:51 PM
This is all bull **** that I'm hearing. I hate people that say "IT'S ALL ABOUT CALORIC DEFICIT, SEE I LOST WEIGHT", yeah, eat 500 cals under maintenince, and make everything you eat ice cream and pizza. You'll lose weight, but it won't be fat.

Don't be so sure. A lot of that depends on your current bodyfat %. A caloric deficit is really one of the only things to worry about until you are already fairly lean. A diet comprised of solely ice cream and pizza might pose a problem in that adequate protein is not taken in to prevent catabolism. BUT, assuming your protein intake is adequate, you'll still lose fat eating crap.

Am I advocating this type of diet? No, not at all. Not only is it worse from a health standpoint, but the satiety effects of eating ice cream and pizza are just not nearly the same as eating tuna and oats. Thus, one might be more susceptible to overeating on this type of diet.

SalahG
10-28-2004, 09:21 PM
I meant no offense; please keep this civil.

I have to say, however, that such an attitude toward research, toward science, is hardly productive -- anecdotal experience cannot substitute for experimental evidence.
Who's getting uncivil?

I disagree that anecdotal evidence can't substitute for experimental data, why? because you did the experiment on how your body reacts. For instance, I took trex on my speed training day to improve performance and fouind that my heart was beating 100 miles an hour, so I stopped doing that. I don't need any studies to back up that Trex is not good for you before HIIT training. Same applies with nutrition, I've ate diets where I was in a caloric deficit, and I was eating crap, and I lost more muscle than fat, when I ate good whole foods and supplements, I lost more fat than muscle. No need for studies, I know what works, I did the study on myself and found the best anwser.

_-_v_-_
10-28-2004, 09:32 PM
You realize, however, that you cannot escape: A) the laws of thermodynamics; and B) the validity of peer-reviewed, scientific literature.

Your argument is akin to someone claiming that, since they began meditating, their cancer miraculously went into remission. This may be entirely accurate; but, quite honestly, correlation does not, as you know, equal causation. Were you to study two groups of cancer patients, one of which was treated with the latest in medical technology, the other of which was merely asked to meditate daily; and were you to repeat this study multiple times; I think you know which group would evince the greater survival rate.

But go ahead and meditate, if you prefer. Me? I'll trust thermodynamics; I'll stick to science.

SalahG
10-28-2004, 09:53 PM
So will I, you take in less calories than you are burning, than you will lose weight, where that weight is coming from depends on your diet.

_-_v_-_
10-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Not necessarily.

Where that weight is coming from depends upon a multitude of factors, of which, generally speaking, the least important is macronutrient composition of one's diet.

As Lyle put it: "Given sufficient protein and EFAs, you can get ripped on table sugar."

SalahG
10-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Not necessarily.

Where that weight is coming from depends upon a multitude of factors, of which, generally speaking, the least important is macronutrient composition of one's diet.

As Lyle put it: "Given sufficient protein and EFAs, you can get ripped on table sugar."
I don't care what Lyle says.

_-_v_-_
10-29-2004, 08:36 AM
That's your prerogative.

Just know, though, that you sound like Uri Geller saying, as he "bends" a "spoon" with his "mind" : "I don't care what Isaac Newton says."

Facts are facts; physiology is physiology; evidence is evidence; and anecdote, unfortunately, is merely anecdote.

SalahG
10-29-2004, 08:44 AM
That's your prerogative.

Just know, though, that you sound like Uri Geller saying, as he "bends" a "spoon" with his "mind" : "I don't care what Isaac Newton says."

Facts are facts; physiology is physiology; evidence is evidence; and anecdote, unfortunately, is merely anecdote.
Yeah dude, Lyle Mcdonald is on the same level as Isaac Newton. :rolleyes:

SalahG
10-29-2004, 08:46 AM
By the way, facts are facts, and the fact is, fat is very hard to burn in the presence of insulin, or is that not the whole basis of CKD diets, like UD2, which was written by who else but Lyle Mcdonald. Not that he is a god of the diet world, I'd rather take my advice from myself, and real life experience.

_-_v_-_
10-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm not claiming Lyle is the end-all and be-all of the diet world.

I'm merely claiming that your insistence upon personal experience, while commendable in and of itself -- as certainly every physiology is unique -- strikes me as indefensibly myopic.

Fat can most certainly be burnt in the presence of insulin; fat loss can of course occur, and can occur quite well, in a hypocaloric milieu in which the majority, if not even the entirety, of carbohydrates comprise the high-glycemic variety.

galileo
10-29-2004, 09:02 AM
You're both wrong. It's impossible to get ripped on any diet, as I've learned that from my personal experience.