PDA

View Full Version : whats your guys' opinions on coffee

thajeepster
10-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I sure do drink alot of it, it keeps me going, can this hinder my bulk? I figure people take eca stacks anyways, im just getting my caffeine from another source..... right?

getfit
10-23-2004, 12:25 PM
i used to drink alot of coffee but found myself overly hyper so now i just stick to one in the morning and then a little later on i'll have my second but 2 cups is what i drink a day

Titanium_Jim
10-24-2004, 03:07 AM
You'll want to limit yourself to one cup a day. It's healthier on your central nervous system for one, but more importantly, caffeine speeds up pretty much every natural process in your body. So your system will be rapidly depleted of everything your body needs to keep going, which is why you get tired when coffee wears off. With sugar levels, etc. being very low, the protein you take in will go to help raise your levels of everything else it can, your body knowing it's more improtant to raise your blood sugar and everything else protein can turn into to replenish what's missing from your body, and if any protein is left after that, THEN it goes to muscle growth. You need a lot of protein just to keep the muscle you have if you take in a lot of caffeine.

_-_v_-_
10-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Um, no.

ryuage
10-24-2004, 08:02 AM
you sure like to disagree with everyone, why not try and provide some information as to why

thajeepster
10-24-2004, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=Titanium_Jim]You'll want to limit yourself to one cup a day.QUOTE]

what!!!! I would die with only one cup a day. Guess I could switch to decaf. But not until im off this god forsaken ship on friday. :) finally will be able to start cooking for myself again too.

restless
10-24-2004, 09:03 AM
I usually get 750-1000 mg of caffeine per day. I am addicted to it since I can hardly function before my first cup. The only downside I notice I tend to become a little anxious by the end of the day. I don't drink it past five PM though, unless I'm working at night.

MM
10-24-2004, 09:04 AM
I believe that you can drink coffee and bulk, but you want to be sure to drink A LOT more water than you otherwise would. Coffee dehydrates you.

Achille
10-24-2004, 11:08 AM
I read somewhere that caffeine from coffee cannot be absorbed and utilized by the body as efficiently as the pharmaceutical grade caffeine thats in fat loss products, but I dont really understand why. I generally try to avoid caffeine except from a morning cup when its really necessary and i never consume before workouts because it somehow reduces my strenght. Has anybody else noticed this effect?

ryuage
10-24-2004, 12:32 PM
if anything I would think it would help... but for me it upsets my stomach if I consume it prior to running.

Titanium_Jim
10-24-2004, 04:01 PM
I never consume before workouts because it somehow reduces my strenght. Has anybody else noticed this effect?

your system will be rapidly depleted of everything your body needs to keep going, which is why you get tired when coffee wears off.

The speeding up of your digestive system is what causes stomach problems. Anyone who drinks lots of caffeine in ANY form and also has lots of stomach pain throughout the day and other stomach problems, should cut the caffeine intake way down. My stomach problems have disappeared since I cut caffeine out of my diet. And I used to be heavily addicted. Coffee, energy drinks of all kinds, even caffeine pills sometimes.

Behemoth
10-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Titanium Jim, where do you get your information? Not to be rude but it just doesn't sound real kosher and sound. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, I'm just a little skeptical sometimes...

thajeepster
10-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Dont think i could ever give up the good stuff completely. I could switch to decaf after my first couple of regular though. I also am addicted, ive even considered a second job at starbucks just for the free coffee!!! :drooling:

Titanium_Jim
10-24-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm not saying to give it up completely, but too much of it WILL cause health problems, from your digestive tract to your central nervous system. How would you like to have the shakes all the time? Or jittery anxious nervous feelings all the time? And this is information from doctors and health studies and even personal trainers. I have met more than one person who loved coffee so much that their doctor gave them a limit of one cup per day for health reasons.

Vido
10-24-2004, 10:30 PM
you sure like to disagree with everyone

not everyone, just Titanium Jim :D

Titanium_Jim
10-25-2004, 02:48 AM
not everyone, just Titanium Jim :D
How mature.

Is it so hard to believe that caffeine is actually not good for you?

Blob
10-25-2004, 04:52 AM
I'm with TJ on this one. I used to drink 8-9 cups a day. Scaled down to one cup and nearly died of headache for the first three days. (Withdrawal symptoms) . Must say I feel better after cutting back. 4:00 pm slumps' gone and i feel (strangely) more alert.

Achille
10-25-2004, 06:27 AM
I'm with TJ on this too as I rush to the toilet within 15 minutes of drinking a cup of coffee and if I drink more than one in a row I get very anxious and feel palpitations in the heart. But of course others may be just fine because sensitivity to caffeine differs from person to person. I also believe that tea, particularly green, is a much healthier source of caffeine than coffee if you dont mind the taste that sucks

Maki Riddington
10-25-2004, 08:45 AM
You'll want to limit yourself to one cup a day. It's healthier on your central nervous system for one, but more importantly, caffeine speeds up pretty much every natural process in your body. So your system will be rapidly depleted of everything your body needs to keep going, which is why you get tired when coffee wears off. With sugar levels, etc. being very low, the protein you take in will go to help raise your levels of everything else it can, your body knowing it's more improtant to raise your blood sugar and everything else protein can turn into to replenish what's missing from your body, and if any protein is left after that, THEN it goes to muscle growth. You need a lot of protein just to keep the muscle you have if you take in a lot of caffeine.

*** I don't know where you're getting this info from but you may want to do some research. I say this in the nicest way possible.:)

If you are getting at the theory that caffiene consumption spares glycogen during exercise and promotes the expenditure of fatty acids, then you are wrong.

Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003 Feb;284(2):R399-404. Epub 2002 Oct 24. Central nervous system effects of caffeine and adenosine on fatigue. Davis JM, Zhao Z, Stock HS, Mehl KA, Buggy J, Hand GA.

J Appl Physiol. 2002 Sep;93(3):990-9. Effect of different protocols of caffeine intake on metabolism and endurance performance. Cox GR, Desbrow B, Montgomery PG, Anderson ME, Bruce CR, Macrides TA, Martin DT, Moquin A, Roberts A, Hawley JA, Burke LM.

I also wanted to add that caffiene will not compromise the body's hydration status during exercise.

J Appl Physiol. 1998 Aug;85(2):709-15. Effect of caffeinated drinks on substrate metabolism, caffeine excretion, and performance. Kovacs EM, Stegen JHCH, Brouns F.

Titanium_Jim
10-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I was repeating what I've been told by doctors and personal trainers, as I said earlier. And I've known people who have had to limit their coffee intake to a cup a day on doctor's orders. I'm not just making things up out of my ass. Maybe it has more of an effect like I described in people who already have higher metabolisms, but the people I've known who had to cut back on coffee sure didn't have a high metabolic rate.

txterry
10-25-2004, 01:13 PM
I agree with Maki. He has some sources to back himself up with, not hearsay.

I drink 2-3 cups of coffee each day Morn-late afternoon.
Does not affect my workouts or metabolism as far as I can tell.

Titanium_Jim
10-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Caffeine increases heartbeat, respiration, basal metabolic rate, and the production of stomach acid and urine; and it relaxes smooth muscles, notably the bronchial muscle. All of these changes vary considerably among people and may depend upon the individual's sensitivity to this drug, his/her metabolism, or upon whether the consumer habitually uses or rarely uses caffeine. How long caffeine's effects last is influenced by the person's hormonal status, whether he/she smokes or takes medications, or has a disease that impairs liver functioning.

Subjectively, people report that caffeine gives them a "lift." They feel less drowsy, less fatigued, more capable of rapid and sustained intellectual effort. They also report improved performance of some manual tasks such as driving. However, caffeine may restore only those abilities or feelings the person had before fatigue or boredom set in. Studies have also shown that caffeine decreases reaction time to both visual and auditory stimuli; it does not significantly alter numerical reasoning (arithmetic skills) or short-term memory; and it can diminish performance of manual tasks that involve delicate muscular coordination and accurate timing.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/caffeine/caffeine_effects.shtml

txterry
10-25-2004, 02:13 PM
:bang: T-Jim .. you just validated at least one of Maki's statements with the pointer to that article.
"
Subjectively, people report that caffeine gives them a "lift." They feel less drowsy, less fatigued, more capable of rapid and sustained intellectual effort. They also report improved performance of some manual tasks such as driving"

Nothing in the article you pointed out supports your claims of adverse effects, and the need to limit yourself to consumption of one cup a day.

As with anything, including water, overdosing is not a good idea.

JustinF
10-25-2004, 02:23 PM
I've been drinking 4-6 cups daily for approx. 8 years with no ill effects on my health.

Titanium_Jim
10-25-2004, 02:24 PM
caffeine speeds up pretty much every natural process in your body.

Caffeine increases heartbeat, respiration, basal metabolic rate, and the production of stomach acid and urine; and it relaxes smooth muscles, notably the bronchial muscle. All of these changes vary considerably among people and may depend upon the individual's sensitivity to this drug, his/her metabolism.

Maybe it has more of an effect like I described in people who already have higher metabolisms

I never said anything maki said was wrong. But as you might be able to see now, the first 2 sentences of what I quoted from the site supports what I said.

*Edit: My one cup a day limit is less than moderate use. I checked a source that said 300mg caffeine, or about 3 cups of coffee a day, is moderate and depending on how sensitive the person is to caffeine, probably won't cause any problems. The one cup a day limit should be for people who get jittery or stomach problems from more than a couple cups.

ElPietro
10-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Everyone knows that caffeine has an impact on metabolic rate. What does that really have to do with anything though? Exercise increases metabolic rate too, but we still do it yes? If you have a heart condition perhaps caffeine isn't for you, but used in moderation I see nothing wrong with it. I don't drink coffee, but take caffeine tablets all the time. I think the jitters people get are normal if you aren't accustom to caffeine in your system. It would probably fade after a couple days of regular consumption though.

Maki Riddington
10-25-2004, 06:04 PM

*** Your initial post was poorly worded. That is why you are getting criticism.

What an individual should limit themselves to (caffiene consumption) is dependant on how their body handles stimulants that effect the nervous system.

superdeathflame
10-26-2004, 01:16 AM
How mature.

Is it so hard to believe that caffeine is actually not good for you?

250lbs of muscle and 5% body-fat isn't good for you, lifting 600lbs isn't good for you, excessive food intake and fast weight gain and loss isn't good for you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Shouldn't you leave the science to the experts and go and do another workout which you will immediately grow from?

superdeathflame
10-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Without my 5-6 cups of coffee and 9-10 cups of tea a day, I'd never survive those 13 hour night shifts in the rain.

Titanium_Jim
10-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Shouldn't you leave the science to the experts and go and do another workout which you will immediately grow from?
Okay, mr. scientist.

galileo
10-26-2004, 06:55 AM
The speeding up of your digestive system is what causes stomach problems. Anyone who drinks lots of caffeine in ANY form and also has lots of stomach pain throughout the day and other stomach problems, should cut the caffeine intake way down. My stomach problems have disappeared since I cut caffeine out of my diet. And I used to be heavily addicted. Coffee, energy drinks of all kinds, even caffeine pills sometimes.

LOL!

manowar669
10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
I've read a few things that claim caffeine aids peristalsis, and should help digestion (thereby temporarily raising blood sugar, and circulating nutrients). The effects of caffeine wear off in 4-6 hours though. Recent studies have claimed that coffee does not significantly affect hydration levels (the main reason I've stayed away from it for years).

Behemoth
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Okay, mr. scientist.

You sure are arrogant for somebody who knows next to little on the subjects he keeps posting on. If you want to learn, shut up and make an effort to learn. You'll never learn anything if you stay as overly convinced of yourself as you are.

I'm not trying to be mean bro. It just seems like we're having a hard time getting through to you on every subject here.

Titanium_Jim
10-27-2004, 12:29 AM
How can I not be defensive when someone tells me something like "Leave the science to the experts?" I don't assume to know everything, but I know what's happened to me and people I know. I admitted my limit was not accurate, the effects I mentioned do not apply to everyone to the same degree, and yet I know "next to little" (whatever that means), and I make no effort to learn. And you're not trying to be mean while you're telling me to shut up. Awesome! If I'm so damned bullheaded and arrogant just pay no attention to anything I say, and stop trying to push your crazy ideas on me, because like somebody said, I live in my own delusions right?!

fen2zla
10-27-2004, 12:38 AM
You sure are arrogant for somebody who knows next to little on the subjects he keeps posting on. If you want to learn, shut up and make an effort to learn. You'll never learn anything if you stay as overly convinced of yourself as you are.

I'm not trying to be mean bro. It just seems like we're having a hard time getting through to you on every subject here.

:nod:

:bang:

TTT
10-31-2004, 02:46 AM
I agree with Titanium Jim on this one, particularly for the increase in stomach acid secretion. Is this not likely to produce adverse effects?

thecityalive
09-09-2011, 05:18 AM
I enjoy a cup before a workout if I'm dragging ass that day. Other than that, I seldom drink the stuff.

BallsWideDeep
09-09-2011, 06:18 AM
I enjoy a cup before a workout if I'm dragging ass that day. Other than that, I seldom drink the stuff.

ah man...this post is years old, and a spammer drew you in. Damn these spammers!

thecityalive
09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
True, but I still enjoy a cup regardless. Yeah, we've been getting a lot of spammers recently. At least this one isn't trying to promote a website or product like ones in the past.

BallsWideDeep
09-09-2011, 07:40 AM
True, but I still enjoy a cup regardless. Yeah, we've been getting a lot of spammers recently. At least this one isn't trying to promote a website or product like ones in the past.

actually he did shamelessly promote rob, for surgery. you just didn't see it, because of the ninja like moderation going on. Probably offroad. He must have his hands full with this junk. The site was recently hacked. All these spammers have the same layout. The smartest one was a pic of a hot girl, and a female username. "Her" school's website stayed up for awhile.

Mark!
09-10-2011, 02:25 AM
I definitely enjoy my coffee from time to time. I don't drink it too often, usually taking my ECA stack and don't like the feeling I get with the two combined.

NickAus
09-10-2011, 03:55 AM
I love a good coffee but I only drink 5 per week max.

NITF
10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
some really retarded ideas on this OLD thread. especially loved the statement that was basically "coffee makes me shit... that's how you know it is bad for youz" lol... still, no one ever seemed to give a truly solid answer to the op... not that I'm wondering, and I doubt they are either!

Behemoth
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
still, no one ever seemed to give a truly solid answer to the op...

Coffee will not hinder a bulk.

/end 7 year confusion streak.

Off Road
10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Coffee will not hinder a bulk.

/end 7 year confusion streak.
Thanks for clearing that up...lol

dynamo
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
i will drink upwards to 30 ounces of coffee a day and nail an energy drink or two also in the same day. I am not having a problem being huge and ripped.

Holto
10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I've done a lot of research on this and I found two key facts:

1) Caffeine is NOT a diuretic for people that consume it daily
2) 600 mg is the upper limit

600mg is a TON of caffeine. That's 3 tabs per day or approximately 10 cups of coffee. Mind you places like Starbucks are way higher than 60mg/cup.

Behemoth
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I've done a lot of research on this and I found two key facts:

1) Caffeine is NOT a diuretic for people that consume it daily
2) 600 mg is the upper limit

600mg is a TON of caffeine. That's 3 tabs per day or approximately 10 cups of coffee. Mind you places like Starbucks are way higher than 60mg/cup.

The upper limit for what?

krazylarry
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I guess he means for negative side effects. But the FDA say 2000 mg is the limit per day to be safe, where than that has causes hospitalization.

dynamo
10-06-2011, 07:16 AM
9000mg aka 9 grams is the upper limit for death. of course you need to take metabolism time into consideration, from what I understand, and its been a while because I did the research to avoid death in college, you need to consume the 9 grams in a very short window, but that isn't to say you'll be side effect free for anything less than 9 grams. You just die at/around 9 grams in the blood.

rolypoly
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I have tried to quit coffee on and off...but realized, more than the effects of caffeine, I am addicted to the smell and taste of it. I have happily accepted coffee as my favorite vice.

My coffeemaker has a timer in it and it acts as my alarm clock. Nothing like waking up to the smell of brewing coffee. If only someone could make a device like this for bacon...

Behemoth
10-07-2011, 12:21 AM
I have tried to quit coffee on and off...but realized, more than the effects of caffeine, I am addicted to the smell and taste of it. I have happily accepted coffee as my favorite vice.

My coffeemaker has a timer in it and it acts as my alarm clock. Nothing like waking up to the smell of brewing coffee. If only someone could make a device like this for bacon...

Why not just go to decaf?

Holto
10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
The upper limit for what?

The generally associated negative sides and health concerns.

Behemoth
10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I'll go with that if they're a caffeine virgin.

How did you arrive at your first statement about caffeine is not a diuretic if they consume it regularly? If this is known, I may just be unaware. But this is the first time I've seen that suggested. Can you elaborate?

K-R-M
10-07-2011, 05:27 PM

No. For "weaker" adults, 1g has produced significant symptoms. Death after side effects happens at 10-20gs. The 600mg figure is completely arbitrary, you need a massive dose for coffee to create a pathology.

BallsWideDeep
10-07-2011, 09:18 PM
That's bullshit about in not being a diuretic in experienced users. I have had about 400-700+mg (in one coffee) everyday for the past couple years, and after my beverage I am pissing every 30 minutes and then get cotton mouth and need to re-hydrate.
I brew six scoops in a french press with about 18oz of water for 4 minutes. If I accidentally leave it for 6 minutes or use a bit bigger scoops it gets pretty strong. It is a drug, and it can make me a bit strange at the high level. One track mind, speed freak shit.
If someone were to have any tendency towards panic attacks/anxiety this could be a catalyst, so I would agree that 600mg could mess many people up.

rolypoly
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Why not just go to decaf?

Unwillingly, I do taper down to decaf as the day goes by. And i say unwillingly because deacf does tastes crap compared to the regular

Holto
10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
No. For "weaker" adults, 1g has produced significant symptoms. Death after side effects happens at 10-20gs. The 600mg figure is completely arbitrary, you need a massive dose for coffee to create a pathology.

The 600mg is based on clinical data that I reviewed a few years ago, if you'd like I can dig it up.

Holto
10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
That's bullshit about in not being a diuretic in experienced users.

If you'd like I can dig up the studies.

When daily caffeine users users were subjected to clinical study it was demonstrated that there were zero diuretic effects.

BallsWideDeep
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
If you'd like I can dig up the studies.

When daily caffeine users users were subjected to clinical study it was demonstrated that there were zero diuretic effects.

Only if you have time brother. I believe you read it; it would be interesting. Purely from my empirical evidence, I find it false.
I work in Iraq. I have a very regimented schedule. I have drank at least 6 Tbs. of coffee brewed in 18 oz of 190 degree water for 4 minutes for the past 700 days. Immediately following this urination increases to about 2 liters in 4 sessions over the next 90 minutes, and I experience xerostomia. Perhaps I am unusual, but I doubt it. Test it your self if you want.

K-R-M:
You're right, 1g will definitely produce some serious conditions in most people. Nothing necessarily damaging to health, but sweating, elevated heart rate, one track mind, etc. Don't forget those lethal figures are LD50's. That would only kill half the population. Since plenty of guys on here are 100kg and LD50 is estimated at 200mg/kg half of them would survive 20g. hahahaha

rolypoly:
Check this out. I agree most decaf taste awful. They also make half-caf which isn't too bad. I guess most people figure only fake coffee drinkers would drink decaf, but as an enthusiast I would like some strong brewed decaf after a dinner late at night. It does feel a bit like buying some of that "Wizard Smoke" out of a "High Times" magazine though.
http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?find=decaf

Holto
10-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Is caffeine a diuretic?

The short answer is "no, not if you're used to it." It is a common misconception that coffee should be avoided as a fluid replacement under the belief that caffeine is a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine was originally examined on acute studies in caffeine naïve individuals, see references i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii. However research shows that a tolerance to caffeine develops, see references viii, ix, x, xi, xii. As such those who are not caffeine naïve, i.e. regularly ingest caffeine, do not experience an increased urine output or altered conditions of hydration status after consuming caffeinated beverages, see references xiii, xiv.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_caffeine_a_diuretic#ixzz1aaX4kMb9

Here are the citations:

i. Ballet S, et al (1969) Effect of coffee ingestion on catecholamine release. Met 18; 288-291
ii. Dorfman LJ, Jarvik ME (1970) Comparative stimulant and diuretic actions of caffeine and theobromine in man. Clin Pharmacol Ther 11; 869-872
iii. Massey L, Wise K (1984) The effect of dietary caffeine on urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium in healthy young females. Nutr Res 4; 43-50
iv. Neuhäuser-Berthold M, et al (1997) Coffee consumption and total body water homeostasis as measured by fluid balance and bioelectrical impedance analysis. Ann Nutr Met 41; 29-36
v. Passmore AP, et al (1987) Renal and cardiovascular effects of caffeine: a dose-response study. Clin Sci (London) 72; 749-756
vi. Robertson D, et al (1978) Effects of caffeine on plasma rennin activity, catecholamines and blood pressure. NEJM 298; 181-186
vii. Wemple R, et al (1997) Caffeine vs caffeine-free sports drink: effects on urine production at rest and during prolonged exercise. Int J Sports Med 18; 40-46
viii. Colton T, et al (1968) The tolerance of coffee drinkers to caffeine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 9; 31-39
ix. Denaro C, et al (1991) Effects of caffeine with repeated dosing. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 40; 273-278
x. Goldstein A, et al (1969) Psychotropic effects of caffeine in man. IV. Quantitative and qualitative differences associated with habituation to coffee. Clin Pharmacol Ther 10; 489-497
xi. Myers M, Reeves R (1991) The effect of caffeine on daytime ambulatory blood pressure. Am J Hypertens 4; 427-431
xii. Robertson D, et al (1981) Tolerance to the humoral and hemodynamic effects of caffeine in man. J Clin Invest 67; 1111-1117
xiii. Grandjean AC, et al (2000) The effect of caffeinated, non caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. JACN 19; 591-600
xiv. Armstrong LE (2002) Caffeine, body fluid-electrolyte balance, and exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr and Exer Met 12; 189-206

Here is a cool full text study:

http://www.sportsnutritionworkshop.com/Files/32.SPNT.pdf

I also learned from this recent round of research that nearly all the side effects of caffeine are non-existent in people that consume it regularly.

K-R-M
10-12-2011, 01:38 PM
K-R-M:
You're right, 1g will definitely produce some serious conditions in most people. Nothing necessarily damaging to health, but sweating, elevated heart rate, one track mind, etc. Don't forget those lethal figures are LD50's. That would only kill half the population. Since plenty of guys on here are 100kg and LD50 is estimated at 200mg/kg half of them would survive 20g. hahahaha

LD or LCs? In any case, it's rat data.

Is caffeine a diuretic?

The short answer is "no, not if you're used to it." It is a common misconception that coffee should be avoided as a fluid replacement under the belief that caffeine is a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine was originally examined on acute studies in caffeine naïve individuals, see references i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii. However research shows that a tolerance to caffeine develops, see references viii, ix, x, xi, xii. As such those who are not caffeine naïve, i.e. regularly ingest caffeine, do not experience an increased urine output or altered conditions of hydration status after consuming caffeinated beverages, see references xiii, xiv.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_caffeine_a_diuretic#ixzz1aaX4kMb9

Here are the citations:

i. Ballet S, et al (1969) Effect of coffee ingestion on catecholamine release. Met 18; 288-291
ii. Dorfman LJ, Jarvik ME (1970) Comparative stimulant and diuretic actions of caffeine and theobromine in man. Clin Pharmacol Ther 11; 869-872
iii. Massey L, Wise K (1984) The effect of dietary caffeine on urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium in healthy young females. Nutr Res 4; 43-50
iv. Neuhäuser-Berthold M, et al (1997) Coffee consumption and total body water homeostasis as measured by fluid balance and bioelectrical impedance analysis. Ann Nutr Met 41; 29-36
v. Passmore AP, et al (1987) Renal and cardiovascular effects of caffeine: a dose-response study. Clin Sci (London) 72; 749-756
vi. Robertson D, et al (1978) Effects of caffeine on plasma rennin activity, catecholamines and blood pressure. NEJM 298; 181-186
vii. Wemple R, et al (1997) Caffeine vs caffeine-free sports drink: effects on urine production at rest and during prolonged exercise. Int J Sports Med 18; 40-46
viii. Colton T, et al (1968) The tolerance of coffee drinkers to caffeine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 9; 31-39
ix. Denaro C, et al (1991) Effects of caffeine with repeated dosing. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 40; 273-278
x. Goldstein A, et al (1969) Psychotropic effects of caffeine in man. IV. Quantitative and qualitative differences associated with habituation to coffee. Clin Pharmacol Ther 10; 489-497
xi. Myers M, Reeves R (1991) The effect of caffeine on daytime ambulatory blood pressure. Am J Hypertens 4; 427-431
xii. Robertson D, et al (1981) Tolerance to the humoral and hemodynamic effects of caffeine in man. J Clin Invest 67; 1111-1117
xiii. Grandjean AC, et al (2000) The effect of caffeinated, non caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. JACN 19; 591-600
xiv. Armstrong LE (2002) Caffeine, body fluid-electrolyte balance, and exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr and Exer Met 12; 189-206

Here is a cool full text study:

http://www.sportsnutritionworkshop.com/Files/32.SPNT.pdf

I also learned from this recent round of research that nearly all the side effects of caffeine are non-existent in people that consume it regularly.

I'll go through this later, but that research is unconvincing.

The 600mg is based on clinical data that I reviewed a few years ago, if you'd like I can dig it up.

Please do.

Holto
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I'll go through this later, but that research is unconvincing.

The thing I found convincing overall is the complete absence of any research that shows caffeine is a diuretic in people that consume it.

Edit: Happy to read anything if someone can post it.