PDA

View Full Version : Competed in a strong man comp today

DokterVet
10-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Well today I went to watch a strongman comp that a friend runs every year. He told me I'd get a free t-shirt if I competed, so I decided I'd sign up.

Some of the things I did was flip a 400 lb tire 5 times in 2 minutes, and carry two railroad tracks with handles totalling 312 lbs 20 metres in 2 minutes.

Also, the last event was sumo wrestling and in the battle for bronze, I finished with a good throw on my opponent (picked him up at the hips, and slammed him down).

I came in 3rd out of only 4 competitors this year (other years have had more competitors), which is what I expected, given the size and strength of the top two competitors. But I'm pretty happy with how I did. In the gym right now I'm only deadlifting 250 lbs for reps, so I was pleased to be able to do so much with the tire and the railroad tracks. Pictures should be up soon at the website for the event www.islandheroes.ca.

RussianRocket
10-23-2004, 06:11 PM
good job

RussianRocket
10-23-2004, 06:12 PM
atleast you get a free t shirt

savdout209
10-23-2004, 06:57 PM
thats cool **** man, let us know when they post those pics! :)

fen2zla
10-23-2004, 10:21 PM
People will do anything for a free t-shirt!
Good job man.

Workhorse
10-25-2004, 11:24 AM
That's awesome man, I'm presently training Strongman events to compete next spring. What events did they have? I saw the tire flip and farmers walk for a medley...what else did you have to do??

So far I've trained with:
Apollon's Axle for deads and for clean and jerk
Tire Flip
Farmers Walk
Atlas Stones
Conan's wheel
Super Yolk
Log Press
Arm over arm and harness pulls

Its great fun, do you think its something you're going to try to get into??

DokterVet
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
The events were:
Log lift (basically clean and press a log as many times as you can in two minutes) - log was 120 lbs dry, but weighed more at the event. Unfortunately I was unable to get it pressed over my head. Next year I swear I'll get it though. I think the winner got around ten reps.

Tire flip: 400 lb tire. How many times you can flip it in 2 min. I got 5 reps. The winner got ten or eleven.

Rock Press: Lift a 120 lb rock. The higher you lift it, the more points you get. I got it up past my knees. Winner got it up to shoulders.

Farmer's Walk - carry 2 5-foot lengths of railrway track 156 lbs each for distance in 2 minutes. I got 20 metres. Winner got 60 metres.

All those events were just for positioning in the sumo wrestling. There was a tiebreaker at this point and the top two arm-wrestled to break that. Then they paired up First place with Fourth, Second Place with Third for sumo.

I lost my semifinal (in my defence the guy had about 80 pounds on me by the looks of it) but won the consolation with a pretty big slam. First place went to Rob Dales, my friend who runs the competition. He showcased some of his Judo skills in the sumo matches to get some good hip tosses.

The tire flip I think was the most fun because it was bloody rewarding to get that huge thing to topple over. But by that last rep, it had taken a huge toll on my body. It's amazing the kind of workout you get from something like that. But it felt like it was a good display of strength and felt really good.

Overall I had an amazing time. It was so much fun. I'm definitely going to compete again next year, but I don't ever plan on getting past that island.

If you train in all those events, you should do really well locally for sure. Good luck man. Where in Canada are you?

Workhorse
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm in Alberta. There is a growing spurt that the sport is going through here and in the neighbouring provinces.

I would compete in a Novice event like the one you did, but I'm probably a little too far ahead of those weights. But, I'm not into the "pro" weights yet, so I have yet to compete. I would love to do a Novice show, but feel that I would probably dominate and that's not fair to the other competitors that are just learning.

These are the weights we train with:
850lbs tire
250lbs farmer's walk each hand
175lbs, 220lbs, 270lsb, & 300lbs Atlas stone
Super yolk around 550-600 pounds
Conan's wheel is about 440lbs of weight 12" from handle
Log press, I've done 220lbs for 3 reps
Apollon's Axle: deadlifted about 580lbs, clean and jerked about 240lbs for a rep

:)

DokterVet
10-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Clearly you're a strong guy. I don't think there's any harm in doing some novice comps and working your way up from there. No one will be mad at you for winning. If anything it's always nice to have some inspiration. And once you make it past that level, and your former local competitors see you on the World's Strongest Man, they can say "I competed against that guy."

Good luck dude.

PizDoff
10-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Damn, and you do MA too? :D

Brad Cardoza
10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Congrats man,
Strongman Is a great sport to be involved with, and the training will get you into the best shape of your life. feel free to ask any strongman type training questions, as I train and compete with some of the best pro's in the country.

Brad

Workhorse
10-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Congrats man,
Strongman Is a great sport to be involved with, and the training will get you into the best shape of your life. feel free to ask any strongman type training questions, as I train and compete with some of the best pro's in the country.

Brad
Who do you train with??

chris mason
10-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Brad is a professional strongman whom we sponsor. Go to www.atlargenutrition.com and check out his page in our sponsors section.

Workhorse
10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
That's cool, but I was wondering who he trains with. :)

DokterVet
10-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Yeah Pizd, but I havent' been training MA in a while. I'm in a guitar playing phase now. I have too many hobbies to be very good at any of them.

Thanks, Brad, if I have any questions I'll ask them here. So what's the most impressive thing you've ever lifted?

Have you guys ever tried IronMind grippers? The winner of the comp can close the #3 (280 lbs) but he hasn't gotten certified yet. I can't even close the #1 (100 lbs).

bill
10-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Chris, (Brad) is very impressive, Doesn't look like a monster though any stats? Bigger than most I have seen.

Brad Cardoza
11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I Train with Art Mcdermott and Dan Ford for Pros. We also have a great bunch of guys who have been placing in a lot of AM. competitions. I would no means consider myself a monster, but I am explosive, and that is just about all you need to be successfull in the sport. The last competition I did was a heavyweight comp and this is what the results looked like.

1 Dan Ford (heavy Pro)
2 me (light Pro) lost by 1 point
3 Grant Higga (heavy Pro)
4 Derek Hurley ( heavy am.)
5 Jim Glassman (heavy Pro)
6 Walt Gogola (heavy Pro)

I forget the rest, but I was pumped considering I was giving up over 70 pounds to these guys.

PS. Most impressive lift for me would have to be loading the 420 stone which most heavies have never done. Here it is.

http://www.pinnaclestrengthandfitness.com/images/420_lb_stone.AVI

bill
11-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Couldn't view that, I think I need to down load some program.
Brad I hope you didn't take that monster comment wrong, I was referring to you not looking like a big belly guy.

Titanium_Jim
11-02-2004, 11:00 PM
DAMN Brad! I want traps like those!

Frozenmoses
11-02-2004, 11:19 PM
That's a sick lift, Brad. Very impressive.

DokterVet
11-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Damn, that's a heavy stone. Nice job.

bill
11-03-2004, 10:06 PM
saw it, you made that look fun

Brad Cardoza
11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
For anyone out there that has a strong posterior chain (big dead) and is explosive, you are missing out if you have never tried loading an Atlas Stone. It's one of the most rewarding feelings you could ever experience when it comes to lifting. Especially when you watch guys 100 lb's heavieer than you fail at thee same feat.

Anthony
11-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Brad, obviously the deadlift and atlas stone are very different lifts, but in order to load the 420lbs stone what do you feel someone's deadlift should be?

Nice work, btw!

Brad Cardoza
11-05-2004, 09:38 AM
That is hard to say. My max dead on a good day might be 700 (when I'm training deads consistantly), but I have seen many guys who could dead 700 not even break ground with the 420. When I got the 420 my dead couldn't have been much higher than mid 600's. Out of all the guys who have ever trained at Highland strength and fitness in Andover MA (where I train events) I am the only one who has ever done it, and there are a lot of big pros who have trained there. It's more a matter of hip exposive power than it is deadlift strength. To keep my stone strength up I like to do stuff like snatch variations and pullthroughs. If you look at a video of me with a lighter stone you can see that unlike the big guys who slowly muscle them up I sort hip thrust them up. This is a much better technique if you are a smaller more athletic person.

Here is a good example of the pop I'm talking about. This is a 385.

http://www.pinnaclestrengthandfitness.com/images/385_lb_stone.AVI

Anthony
11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Awesome info and vid, thanks. I think I looked before and couldn't find anything ... what are your stats?

Brad Cardoza
11-05-2004, 09:59 AM
5' 10" 235lbs
usually just under 10% BF (winter is almost here might get a little fat)
When it comes to lifts, I usually won't list because most people would have a hard time translating

log clean and press 290lbs
stone lap and load 420
farmers 300 per for 150 ft.
860 truck tire dead (18")

I really hardly ever max out on the gym stuff, it would be a little too taxing with all the event work I do.

DokterVet
03-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Well the website for the event was finally updated.

http://www.islandheroes.ca/html/previous.html

Here's a video of me flipping the tire (400 lbs):
Tire flipping (http://www.islandheroes.ca/media/adam-tire4.mov)

Here's me attempting to press a log:

http://www.islandheroes.ca/pics/2004/Adam-clean.jpg

Big Bas
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
just curious, brad, with regards to the stone lifting thing:
im a newb lifter, and am constantly reminded to keep my back straight whenevr lifting to avoid injury. during ur lift, ur back is pretty rounded. Doesnt that invite injury?

fixationdarknes
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Brad And DokterVet, congrats to both of you.

GMCtrk
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
whoa thats some crazy **** right there, your pressing a freeking tree! nice work :eek: