PDA

View Full Version : how bad is doing what i'm doing?

vegetapower
10-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Ok, during the weekdays I stay on a pretty lean diet of lean meats, veggies, soy nut butter, low carb milk, and whole grains and I usually work out for an hour and 45 minutes 4 times during the week.
But,
On the weekends I usually have a day where I go all out on splurges. Chinese buffets, Sushi Buffets, or just eating as many sweets as I can before I don't like the taste and get stuffed. The first two are not that big of a problem but
sweets are.
Even though I do this I kind of balance it out by having 5, 300 cal meals the next day and eating normally the rest of the week along with going to the gym. As a rusult I normally weigh about 5-8 pounds heavier the day after I splurge but am back down to normal weight by the start of the next weekend.

Here is my question: Will doing what I'm doing cause me to routinely gain 5-8 pounds of fat, then throughout the week lose only some fat and the rest muscle or will it be just a simple thing of gaining 5-8 pounds of fat and then losing 5-8 pounds of fat? And what effect does this have on my metabolism?

TTT
10-24-2004, 02:51 AM
Back off the sweets, keep up (and increase) the fats, complex carbs and protein. Otherwise if you don't use the sucrose in the sweets within a few hours, it will turn into fat (as will anything really, but not as easily)

_-_v_-_
10-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Not true, by and large.

Vido
10-24-2004, 12:15 PM
You're not gaining 5-8 lbs of fat in one day. It's called water, and it's from filling up your glycogen stores.

EdgeCrusher
10-24-2004, 05:25 PM
it would make a lot more sense to spread those calories around so you can use them in a better way (like building muscle or preventing muscle loss)

i suspect you are eating well below your maintenence levels on weekdays and well above for the weekends, which probably will translate to muscle loss on weekdays and fat gain on the weekends, supposing you don't counter the chinese buffets with a lot of lifting

Behemoth
10-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Depends. What are your goals? If they're to just stay as you are, you might be able to maintain that. You may be gaining weight in the long run, nobody can really know but you. It's your body/metabolism etc.

You're certainly not going go gain much (if any) muscle at all nor lose much (if any, and quite possibly gain) fat.

abwowang
10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
i do that too.. sometimes late at night like 9pm..
its hard not to..
any advice for us?..
i try drinking water and stuff.. but i still end up eatting all this junk.. gosh help me..
i think that if i didnt eat late at night past 8pm like 5 times a week.. my body would be a lot better..

Vido
10-24-2004, 10:28 PM
You have one high calorie and one low calorie day per week, along with 5 "regular" calorie days. I don't really see how that's over the top or anything.

Your metabolism will not change in either direction after only a single day of over or undereating.