PDA

View Full Version : Glute Ham Raises- really hard at first?

RickTheDestroyer
10-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Okay so I just typed up long story about how I'm starting to develop an interest in powerlifter training and how I've been thinking about applying some westside ideas to my routine because I want to get stronger in the big three but... my computer froze :mad:

So anyway, there's no GHR contraption at my gym, but I found an ab dealie near the cardio crap and I wanted to try some GHR's as I've seen them in videos on the internet- and I can't even pull myself up at the beginning. :(
My hammies are pretty weak compared to my quads, but they aren't THAT awful... my hamstring curl has gotten a lot better and everything, but these felt really frigging hard. If I start at the top I can do a pretty good negative and then kind of throw myself back up with my arms a little... is this the proper way to ease into these or should I keep trucking away at the stupid leg curls until I'm strong enough to do GHR's? :scratch:
(you see how far leg curls got me already)

geoffgarcia
10-27-2004, 10:01 PM
do you have a pic of what your trying to do?

I have a vision in my head of what a GHR is, perhaps yours is different.

How much weight are you doing on leg curls? and whats your body weight?

RickTheDestroyer
10-27-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm doing what is this: http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/images/ghamraise.mpg
I know that it's not exactly Westside correct, but it's the best I'm going to get at my gym. I can do what the guy in the video is doing, but he looks like he's more just using his arms to stabilize... I have to give a definite little push.

When I actually do leg curls I do sets of about 160 for 6-8, after heavy squats or deadlifts. Not great, but it's better than it once was. I'm bulking right now and gaining weight like a mofo... I'm about 210 while dressed in gym clothes (this makes pullups a lot of fun too- "damn, I swear these weren't this hard last week!"). This might have been extra hard because I was a crackhead and decided that I'd try to figure these out tonight even though I'm still sore and weak from deadlifting yesterday.

Adam
10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Those are Very very hard. Most trained lifters cannot do them on their first try. If you are heavy your chance of doing them decreases dramatically. The ghr apparatus is alot easier yet comfortable.

RickTheDestroyer
10-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Is it okay to assist with my arms a little and focus on negatives until I can do them without assistance?
I could feel from the few that I (sorta) did that these are going to kick my ass. Seriously. :thumbup:

Adam
10-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Yup, thats how most people start off with them. Whenever you can use a bit less push with your arms untill you can do it completely with your hams.
I've never tried a ghr done that way. I've used the machine quite alot though(at my old gym) and i love it!

gopher
10-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Those are very hard to do. I can SLDL 315 x 6 but I can barely do 6 of these using just my body weight.

Max-Mex
10-28-2004, 05:04 AM
I use the lat station all the time. I like it better than having your legs held on the floor. I've never used a GHR bench cause all the gyms I've gone to have never had one. The hardest part about using a lat station is finding one with a seat wide enough to put your knees on.

ryuage
10-28-2004, 05:33 AM
i had trouble doing it the first couple times I tried... you'll get it eventually

RickTheDestroyer
10-28-2004, 08:51 AM
I use the lat station all the time. I like it better than having your legs held on the floor... The hardest part about using a lat station is finding one with a seat wide enough to put your knees on.

Exactly, and none of the lat pulls at my gym are wide enough, but I found what I guess is a bench for doing decline crunches with your knees up, or something, but it holds my feet well and is pretty comfortable, so I'll stick to it.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

RickTheDestroyer
10-28-2004, 09:48 AM
is there a pic?
I can't see vids from work
and I'm soooooo bored today
:cry:

I couldn't find a pic of the ab thing (I don't know what you were asking for pics of, the exercise or what I'm trying to do them on), but pics of the movement are here:
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=177

geoffgarcia
10-28-2004, 10:33 AM
I couldn't find a pic of the ab thing (I don't know what you were asking for pics of, the exercise or what I'm trying to do them on), but pics of the movement are here:
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=177gotcha!
just wanted to get an idea of what you were referring to.
There are several different machines that people call glute ham raise apperatus, just wasn't sure which one you were referring to.

I never had any trouble with them, they are a great exercise.
Unfortunately not many gyms that I've been to have the equipment to do them.

trich daddy
10-29-2004, 01:13 AM
You can do them on the roman chair/back extension apparatus can't you?

Newfie D
10-29-2004, 11:51 AM
of course, you could do other exercises like pull-throughs, 45deg back raises, RDL's, good mornings, lunges, etc. the GHR is supposed to be the best, but until i have access to one, i'm going with the ones i mentioned to hit the possy chain. apparently leg curls aren't as effective for hamstring strength as the others.