PDA

View Full Version : are mule worms healthy

AzBboy
10-28-2004, 10:56 PM
sup homes? jk around haha. anyway, u know those lil mule worm craps i dono what they are called, but they look like little maggots? often found in like old rices and cereals and such? are those healthy? because all month i been finding them in EVERYTHING i eat, and ill already be halfway done eating the meal when i find the worms in it, so i assume i ate a load of them already. this crap is making me mental, freakin gioing nuts inspecting every little morsal of everything now, all paranoid and crud. are these bad for u? will i get sick and die? man i gotta stop buying food from that little chinito store! haha help me out here guys, thanx

Dirt
10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Why the hell are you eating spoiled foods?

Vido
10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
I believe they're called mealworms, and I highly doubt they're good for you.

AzBboy
10-28-2004, 11:09 PM
im not, you jackass. i check the date on everything. i live in a ghetto old ugly rat infested house tho, so maybe thats how they get in there, but its not expiration thats the problem here.

Titanium_Jim
10-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I believe they're called mealworms, and I highly doubt they're good for you.

Mealworms are actually loaded with protein, and considered a delicacy in some places, but you would notice a bigass mealworm in any food immediately. I think you're talking about a different kind of larvae from bugs that live in houses. Throw out any food that has those worms in it. Sift through food on a paper plate before you start eating it. Keep pasta and other foods that are likely to be infested in your fridge after you buy them, so they can't get in.

Dirt
10-28-2004, 11:26 PM
spoil ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spoil)
v. spoiled, or spoilt (spoilt) spoil·ing, spoils
v. tr.

To become unfit for use or consumption, as from decay. Used especially of perishables, such as food. See Synonyms at decay.

Which begs the question why you are eating spoiled foods? Anyway to answer you question: No, eating food with insects in it is not healthy or good for you, and in fact could potentially be harmful. Although the insect larvae (those worms) that you're eating probably aren't bad for you, the fact they had to get there somehow means that insects were either a) laying eggs in your opened food or b) laid eggs prior to packaging. In either case your food can be contaminated with whatever filth those insects were living in, feces being a not entirely unreasonable example of one such contaminant. I'm not sure why it's taken you a month to begin to address the problem or in fact come to the conclusion it may be a problem.

Dirt
10-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Mealworms are actually loaded with protein, and considered a delicacy in some places, but you would notice a bigass mealworm in any food immediately. I think you're talking about a different kind of larvae from bugs that live in houses. Throw out any food that has those worms in it. Sift through food on a paper plate before you start eating it. Keep pasta and other foods that are likely to be infested in your fridge after you buy them, so they can't get in.

That is good advice, although I would suggest for pasta and cereal you but plastic containers or bins so you can store them in your cupboards as the excess moisture/humidity in your fridge can drastically reduce the shelf life of dry goods.

Vido
10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Mealworms are actually loaded with protein

Mealworms may be close to 100% protein, but who cares? It doesn't really matter because you're not going to be eating a grand quantity of them. Each one has negligible amounts.

It's like you telling me the fat content of petroleum. It's not like you're going to drink crude oil products as a source of fat. Wood has a ton of fibre in it. When was the last time you threw some wood in the blender as part of your shake?

Ironman_1964
10-29-2004, 02:31 AM
I’ll stick to old fashion protein powder.

Titanium_Jim
10-29-2004, 03:22 AM
That is good advice, although I would suggest for pasta and cereal you but plastic containers or bins so you can store them in your cupboards as the excess moisture/humidity in your fridge can drastically reduce the shelf life of dry goods.

Yea, good one. Didn't think about that.

Mealworms may be close to 100% protein, but who cares? It doesn't really matter because you're not going to be eating a grand quantity of them. Each one has negligible amounts.

It's like you telling me the fat content of petroleum. It's not like you're going to drink crude oil products as a source of fat. Wood has a ton of fibre in it. When was the last time you threw some wood in the blender as part of your shake?
LMAO, I was in no way suggesting adding mealworms to anyone's diet, I would rather feel my appendix explode. I was just saying that for the most part, mealworms are ACTUALLY food in some countries. :eek: Mealworms gross me out, and I could watch an autopsy documentary while eating.

fen2zla
10-29-2004, 05:59 AM
When is it ever good to have little maggot-like things in your food?

ryuage
10-29-2004, 09:23 AM
yummm worms...

_-_v_-_
10-29-2004, 09:37 AM
This thread CAN'T be serious.

TBone4Eva
10-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Geez, this has to be one of the most disgusting threads I've read. Damnit now I'm itching all over.......

It sounds like you're not living in a very hygenic place. If possible, I would suggest looking for a new residence. If that's not an option, then you should clean that place from top to bottom, set traps and poison for rats, and put your food in sealable containers, preferably glass or something hard so it can't be bitten through.

_-_v_-_
10-29-2004, 09:57 AM

Stray
10-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Dude you need to put down the weights and pick up a mop and some bug spray.

savdout209
10-29-2004, 11:58 AM
meal worms are eaten a lot here in mexico..they actually sell them in bags. The only difference between these worms and your worms are origin. Yours come from god knows where and have been eating who knows what for how long. So no, they're probably not good to eat. The bagged-and-sold worms here lived in either corn fields or agave plants..which is where that little worm in the tequila bottle idea came from.

so anyway, yea..clean/disinfect your house, stop buying from that store, buy some freaking tupperware, store things in the fridge..it may diminish shelve life but if your house is that bad, thats the only way to keep ALL the bugs out..and see a doctor ;P

AzBboy
10-29-2004, 02:55 PM
haha i do clean like a mug, im a neat freak im actually obsessive compulsive, so dont even try to tell me im un kempt, stray. ya i do live in a crummy house tho, about seven of our windows are missing, doors dont even lock and are paper thin glass see through doors that u can open with your pinky when they are locked, holes here there and everywhere for rodents to come inside. just a ugly old run down house. but its big. anways, i was more concerned with will i get sick, seing as tho i downed at least ten of these puppies

raniali
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
i don't think you will get sick and die from eating bugs -- as people have been eating, and subsisting on, bugs for centuries. the rice and meal handed out in africa and india is commonly infested and (so i have heard) provides some of the protein to these malnourished people. now since we live in a 1st world country, eating bugs is not a sign of delicacy and i personally throw out all dry food items if i see bugs crawling around in them.

Stray
10-29-2004, 05:38 PM
haha i do clean like a mug, im a neat freak im actually obsessive compulsive, so dont even try to tell me im un kempt, stray. ya i do live in a crummy house tho, about seven of our windows are missing, doors dont even lock and are paper thin glass see through doors that u can open with your pinky when they are locked, holes here there and everywhere for rodents to come inside. just a ugly old run down house. but its big. anways, i was more concerned with will i get sick, seing as tho i downed at least ten of these puppies

Keep your food in tuperware and keep your own supply of food if you still live with ma and pa dukes.

Bugs in your food supply is a bad thing, mmmkay?

fen2zla
10-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Dude you need to put down the weights and pick up a mop and some bug spray.

Stuff that. A box of matches and some fuel might be the way to go......

BlingMeter
10-29-2004, 08:46 PM
if i was u i would stop lifting and save my money to live somewhere else. mexicans that cant speak english making 6$ hr make a better living tha u do

AzBboy
10-29-2004, 10:53 PM
thanx for all your input guys, ya i was worried id get sick but u guys made me more confident. blingmeter, its actually a reall big house, four bedroom two bathroom and big living rooms, besides i practically do live in mexico, i live one hour from the border and my entire city and state is mainly of latin heritage including myself. nice assumption that im poor tho, your a nice guy u know that?

txterry
10-29-2004, 11:56 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive5.jpg

BigNic
10-30-2004, 12:03 AM
i used to eat worms for money when i was little. I was a weird little kid.

aww who am i kidding, less then a month ago i ate a cock roach for 5 bucks, im just a weird guy

fen2zla
10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
who am i kidding, less then a month ago i ate a cock roach for 5 bucks, im just a weird guy

I hope that you were drunk

Gizotch
10-30-2004, 07:18 AM
i had to eat six mealworms for a pseudo-fearfactor challenge at my college the other day , aparently youll be fine so long as you chew them up before you swallow them . they tasted like **** though and i dont see why youd want to make them a regular staple in your diet.

mercury
10-30-2004, 09:36 AM
What about gummy worms?;)