PDA

View Full Version : DL>Squats?

jazer80
10-29-2004, 02:05 PM
i can't remember where i saw this, but i think i read somewhere squats get more muscle fiber engaged than any other movement, adn everyone always says squats before deadlifts. i feel i get a way better workout from a deadlift than from a squat, anyone else feel this?

Kiaran
10-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Actually I've read many similar things to this. All I can really say is that I dread squats WAY more than I ever dread doing deads; granted I do both anyway. What I've read is that any exercise that gets the actual torso of your body moving through space will engage a lot more muscle activity and fiber use than those that isolate or only move appendages. These exercises apparently add that third demension to the lift that makes it highly stimulating. Try the following and tell me what you think is tougher:

Squats vs. Leg Press
Wt Chins vs. Lat Pulls
Wt Dips vs. Pushdowns
Wt Pushups vs. Bench Press

ElPietro
10-29-2004, 03:01 PM
I think deadlifts will place stress on more muscles overall, virtually all of them. Squats will hit almost all those same muscle groups, but the main load will be on the glues and quads which are two of the biggest muscle groups, so I would say squats place more stress to more fibres.

Just thinking off the top of my head though, so could be mistaken.

jazer80
10-29-2004, 04:48 PM
ya i def agree squats target the legs much more than anything else, particularly quads, which don't get too much stress from dl's. but when i do dl's i'm working my grip/wrist, my arms to a degree, and then my entire posterior chain / hams (posterior chain is neck / back/ lower back/ glutes right?)

TTT
10-29-2004, 07:54 PM
You dread squats Kiaran? I haven't done tooooo many of them, but I actually liked them.... maybe I truly am a masochist.....

MixmasterNash
10-30-2004, 02:10 AM
Deads and squats are both excellent, and both incredibly taxing. The moral lesson is, DO BOTH!!!

body
10-30-2004, 09:00 AM
i think its squats will not work as many muscles but they will work the legs hard than deads, so overall a bit harder.

but do both,

Rex
10-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I love to squat. Best exercise there is. There's nothing like pushing yourself while squatting. Digging down deep.

Most taxing exercise for me has always Bent Over DB rows. Those things just drain the life out of me. After squating I feel alive, after DB rows I feel sick.

shootermcgavin7
10-30-2004, 02:10 PM
They both make me feel like crap; but I definitely dread squats more.

The answer to the original post; yes, my DL is more than my squat.

GMCtrk
10-30-2004, 03:24 PM
deadlifts definitely work more muscle groups. But both are important exercises

BigNic
10-30-2004, 03:26 PM
theyre both pretty lousy. You wanna be huge? Focus on kick backs, and seated cable curls

SalahG
10-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Muscles that squat big weights: Hamstrings, glutes, lower back
Muscles that pull big weights: Hamstrings, glutes, lower back

Looks pretty similar to me.

BigNic
10-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Muscles that squat big weights: Hamstrings, glutes, lower back
Muscles that pull big weights: Hamstrings, glutes, lower back

Looks pretty similar to me.

very true.

Want2BYounger
10-30-2004, 06:30 PM
SalahG,

Tough game last nite. Boise State is incredible (and lucky to boot). Nobody could have beaten them last nite. I felt sorry for Chang, the more he tried to make a comeback, the worse things got.
Hang in there man

SalahG
10-30-2004, 06:44 PM
SalahG,

Tough game last nite. Boise State is incredible (and lucky to boot). Nobody could have beaten them last nite. I felt sorry for Chang, the more he tried to make a comeback, the worse things got.
Hang in there man
Well, I'm not there yet, I'm still in Oregon. I did watch the game, and it showed that A. We need to get people healthy, and B. This is BSU's year. I get to play my first 3 games next year against USC, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. What a way to welcome me in to college football :eek:

superdeathflame
10-31-2004, 07:08 AM
I prefer deadlifts, they work my grip more and are closer to real-life lifts, i.e. picking stuff off the ground. Less strain on the wrists as well.