PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol consumption tips

Mercuryblade
10-31-2004, 03:22 AM
Haha, yes this thread probably appears ridiculous. But I'm in college and like enjoying the weekends. Anyway I have a tolerance like a 400 pound 40 year old alcoholic. It takes me at least 5 beers/shots before I start to feel anything. And anywhere from 8-10 to start getting me drunk depending on how fast I consume. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations/suggestions for drinks that will harm my weightlifting the least. Is beer better than hard alcohol? I never drink straight up shots. My current favorite drink is everclear, hawaiian punch and cherry coke. I fill up a wine glass with a little over a shot of everclear and the fill the rest up with hawaiian punch and cherry coke, that gets the job done fast. People always speak of the beer gut phenomena, but I cardio at least 3-4 times a week, and lift 3 times a week and I've haven't lost my six pac yet. I also don't drink every weekend, and sometimes I keep it to a one weekend night. I'm currently in last place on the drinking calender with only 14 times I've drank since the school year started, my friend whose first is at 32 time, so I can practice some restraint, (I like my liver,) but theres no point in having this hot ass body if I don't go out on the weekends and share it with the ladies. Any suggestions, thoughts, or experiences are greatly appreciated.

mattburns
10-31-2004, 03:52 AM
you don't have to drink to have a good time.

vodka is lower in calories than beer, so stick to spirits if you do drink.

orbital
10-31-2004, 04:03 AM
A little bit of alcohol here and there is nothing to worry about. At your height and weight eating everything in sight is all you should be concerned with.

massfreak
10-31-2004, 05:20 AM
Vodka should be your drink

superdeathflame
10-31-2004, 06:19 AM
Stick to spirits, they're lower in calories than beer/wine. To ease the boredom, you might want to alternate between vodka/whisky/gin.

anyone
10-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Stick to spirits, they're lower in calories than beer/wine. To ease the boredom, you might want to alternate between vodka/whisky/gin.

But only if you don't mix 'em with stuff. Once you start throwing in the fruit juices/pop/other mixers, you aren't much better off than with beer.

Or you could stick to drinks that are only mixed with other alchohols: martini, manhattan, rob roy, etc.

straight bourbon for me.

zen
10-31-2004, 08:46 AM
A little bit of alcohol every day doesn't hurt. As a matter of fact, my doctor actually told me that a few beers a day may actually be beneficial, but he didn't explain why (I'm going to ask him next time I go back). But he said more than a few on a regular basis can be bad, most obviously on the liver.
Which brings me to my point. College drinking habits and 'gear' could be a bad combination. I don't know this for fact, but I'm throwing it out there for consideration.

Sleepr
10-31-2004, 09:46 AM
A little bit of alcohol every day doesn't hurt. As a matter of fact, my doctor actually told me that a few beers a day may actually be beneficial, but he didn't explain why (I'm going to ask him next time I go back). .
It may benefit your cardiovascular system. But I think it is bad for testosterone levels. I gave up alcohol completely since I started lifting because of that reason.

Ğragons
10-31-2004, 10:00 AM
you don't have to drink to have a good time.

vodka is lower in calories than beer, so stick to spirits if you do drink.

its crap tho iff u dont drink :p

Vapour Trails
10-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Heavy drinking lowers your testosterone levels. Certainly that is not good for lifting or encounters with the opposite sex.

I was a pretty heavy drinker for years and recently I have cut, way, way back. I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel overall and how my progress has improved, not to mention how much fatter my wallet is.

Sleepr
10-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Heavy drinking lowers your testosterone levels. Certainly that is not good for lifting or encounters with the opposite sex.

I was a pretty heavy drinker for years and recently I have cut, way, way back. I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel overall and how my progress has improved, not to mention how much fatter my wallet is.
Yea, I don't miss it at all. Its just annoying having to explain to everyone why you don't want a drink when your out and everyone your with is drinking.

abwowang
10-31-2004, 10:31 AM
based on ur weight..
u look like a pretty thin guy..
5'11" 134 pounds? i say u can afford to drink and not gain much pounds at all..
drinkin like once a week is fine.. i drink only light beer, i like light beer taste better..

Vido
10-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Anyway I have a tolerance like a 400 pound 40 year old alcoholic. It takes me at least 5 beers/shots before I start to feel anything. And anywhere from 8-10 to start getting me drunk depending on how fast I consume.

That's nothing. If I'm not drinking at least a mickey before I leave my house, there's no way I'll even be able to consume enough to get me drunk :D.

BigRic
10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd barely call 5'11 134 a hot ass body.

Dirt
10-31-2004, 09:09 PM

I would, but only if it was a female runway model.

Mercuryblade
10-31-2004, 09:55 PM
I forgot to change my profile, over this summer I've gotten up to 140 and lost some body fat, I didn't bulk up as much as I had hoped due a serious wrist injury I got during lacrosse season. I have a very wierd body type, very very small frame, don't wear watches because my wrists are so small. I'm still somewhat skinny, but not grossly skinny and actually get complemented alot, especially on my abs and arms. When I get some spare time, I'm going to post some pics up so you guys can see what I'm working with.

Shao-LiN
11-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Gain like 40 more pounds.

PizDoff
11-01-2004, 12:50 AM
LOL he went up to 140!!!

Yea, I don't miss it at all. Its just annoying having to explain to everyone why you don't want a drink when your out and everyone your with is drinking.

Solution? Have a beer, drink it slowly. That way people will see you with a beer and you will be instantly accepted into the group and be allowed to mate.

Mercuryblade
11-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Gain like 40 more pounds.

Won't ever happen, 20 is my goal.

Dirt
11-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Solution? Have a beer, drink it slowly. That way people will see you with a beer and you will be instantly accepted into the group and be allowed to mate.

:withstupi

Titanium_Jim
11-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Alcohol will reduce the level of a hormone that fights fat (beer gut), and that's saying nothing about what kind of alcohol you drink. On top of that, beer has so many calories and carbs, that it will take 6 days of exercise to make for one night of beer drinking. Hard alcohol would be the better way to go in that respect, but of course,
only if you don't mix 'em with stuff. Once you start throwing in the fruit juices/pop/other mixers, you aren't much better off than with beer.
On top of that AND the testosterone, you commonly get dehydrated from drinking and your body flushes your system quickly, trying to rid it of toxins, and not as much protein gets used for muscle growth, since it is more needed elsewhere. So, our suggestions and experiences are pretty much worthless, except for some good stories. And I would like to reiterate
A little bit of alcohol here and there is nothing to worry about. At your height and weight eating everything in sight is all you should be concerned with.

Mercuryblade
11-01-2004, 03:22 PM
I wasn't expecting any kind of miraculous solution to significantly downplay the negative side effects of alcohol, just curious about ways that might reduce its affects the most. I always make sure to consume a ****load of water when I drink so I don't get a hangover the next day.

kolanut
11-01-2004, 05:48 PM

kolanut
11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
anything over 80 proof has no carbs

shootermcgavin7
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
I've actually seen a study showing that the most overweight individuals are the ones who drink hard liquor, not beer. (please don't ask me to post it, I have no clue where it is).

Which I thought was strange at first, but then again, if you think of your friends that drink hard liquor, they probably drink a lot more in one sitting + more often than beer drinkers.

Dirt
11-01-2004, 09:40 PM
I've actually seen a study showing that the most overweight individuals are the ones who drink hard liquor, not beer. (please don't ask me to post it, I have no clue where it is).

Which I thought was strange at first, but then again, if you think of your friends that drink hard liquor, they probably drink a lot more in one sitting + more often than beer drinkers.

In general the heavier you are the more it takes you to get drunk, even disregarding tolerance issues. If such a study exists, it wouldn't surprise me as hard liquor has a higher alcohol content than beer and you'd need to consume less volume (so more efficient and cheaper) to get drunk. Also after a certain point when you have high enough tolerance, weigh enough, etc. it just doesn't make sense to drink coolers or beer because putting back 12-15+ beers to start off the night would kill so much time it wouldn't be worth it. It's j ust so much easier to have a few doubles or triples and be on your way.

savdout209
11-01-2004, 09:55 PM
spirits/diet soda?..it doesnt sound like you drink enough for it to matter anyhow ; /

Mercuryblade
11-02-2004, 03:04 PM
anything over 80 proof has no carbs

That makes me feel less terrible about something that evaporates almost instanteously when I pour it on my hand.

Scott S
11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Heavy drinking lowers your testosterone levels.

Bah, that's just what your teachers say to scare you. ;)