PDA

View Full Version : oil in natty pb

thajeepster
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
How much of a change does it make in the fat/nutrients of natty pb if I keep pouring out the oil on top. Does this significantly reduce the fat and cals?

TheGimp
11-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Who knows for sure. That's good stuff, just stir it in.

Scott S
11-02-2004, 01:25 PM
It'll significantly reduce smoothness and taste to pour it off.

ElPietro
11-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Of course it would. You should mix it back in, or you can flip the jar over every couple days, so the oil is going to be somewhat evenly distributed. Err...I think that works anyway.

Shao-LiN
11-02-2004, 01:47 PM
How much of a change does it make in the fat/nutrients of natty pb if I keep pouring out the oil on top. Does this significantly reduce the fat and cals?

The oil holds some of the fat content...you should be mixing that in. The separation is sort of a side effect of the packaging and environmental conditions.

ElPietro
11-02-2004, 01:56 PM
I believe it's because they aren't using hydrogenated oil, which allows things to stay creamy and blended well. The fact that it's non-hydrogenated is the reason you buy natural PB in the first place.

Dirt
11-02-2004, 03:54 PM
The obvious answer is that yes it will change the macro breakdown of the peanut butter because the oil is 100% fat so you're going to be decreasing fat content while increasing carb content of each spoonful you have after you drain the fat. That said, it's impossible to guess how much of a change it would be without knowing the size of the container and how much oil you're draining off. If you really wanted to figure it out you could measure the amount of oil you drain off and then find out the nutritional information of peanut oil. Then use the nutritional info taken off the label of the PB to calculate the total fat content of the entire jar and subtract off the fat from the oil you removed, then recalculate the nutritional info per tbsp or however you were doing it before with the reduced fat. I'd never go to all that trouble myself a) because the oil is delicious and b) because I presume it doesn't "significantly" alter the macros to any degree I would begin to care about. If you're anal about your diet I'm sure the macros are probably "significantly" changed enough for you not to do it, but a few grams of fat here and there don't really concern me.

ryuage
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
so how do the carbs magically appear by draining the fat off the top? :confused:

Dirt
11-02-2004, 04:13 PM
so how do the carbs magically appear by draining the fat off the top? :confused:

They don't, but if you remove fat from the pb, the ratio of carbs:fat increases because there is less fat. So 1 TBSP of PB will now contain more carbs than it previously would have. So per gram of peanut butter there will be more carbs in the PB after the fat is drained.

"The obvious answer is that yes it will change the macro breakdown of the peanut butter because the oil is 100% fat so you're going to be decreasing fat content while increasing carb content of each spoonful you have after you drain the fat."

Vido
11-02-2004, 06:39 PM

Of course it does, but why would you ever want to? The only reason you're eating PB in the first place is for the fat. Well that, and because it's delicious, but the taste would be much worse as well if the fat was drained out.

Frozenmoses
11-02-2004, 08:14 PM
:withstupi

The oil makes it creamy and slimey and badass. Only the heathens remove the oil, and will be subsequently burned alive.

thajeepster
11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
When is it best to eat, maybe in a pre or post workout shake?

thajeepster
11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
can it replace fish or flaxseed oil, maybe a spoonful 4 or 5 times a day?

Mannequin
11-02-2004, 08:20 PM
If the PB is too big a step for you, try eating a simpler fat...such as olive oil. You don't have to remove anything from that!

Dirt
11-02-2004, 10:49 PM
When is it best to eat, maybe in a pre or post workout shake?

Neither particularly. The fat from the peanut butter will slow down digestion post workout, which is definitely not what you want. Your PWO shake should contain as little as fat as possible for that reason. You could eat it pre-workout but there isn't any real benefit in it. As far as a pre-workout shake you'd want something similar to your post workout shake but with slower digesting carbs instead of say dextrose.

Dirt
11-02-2004, 10:50 PM
can it replace fish or flaxseed oil, maybe a spoonful 4 or 5 times a day?

No. As far as your sources of EFAs go fish oil is the best out of those 3 options. I would rank them: fish oil > flax oil > PB

txterry
11-02-2004, 10:51 PM
I eat my PB and cottage cheese at night
Sometimes I'll eat PB in the AM after my wakeup whey shake.