PDA

View Full Version : Help with new diet...

Shark
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey guys, i need a little help with the new diet.

Stats:
6'3"
225-230
bf: ~20%

Goals:
Probably a slow cut to maintain as much mass as possible. I am also considering bulking through winter and then cutting but either way I want to get this diet figued out now. I realize this diet is very rough, i know its not enough cals right now. Just looking for suggestions and variations. Different ways to use nutrient partitioning to my advatage etc. would be great.

I work out 5-6 days a week and do cardio 4-5 times a week. (or will be doing cardio if i decide to cut.)

Thanks

Shark
11-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Little help guys?

Vido
11-04-2004, 08:47 PM
We kind of need to know if you're bulking or cutting. It looks pretty good to me, although I'd try to spread my protein intake out a little better if possible...having almost half of the day's total in one meal is kind of odd.

akomabutisakama
11-04-2004, 09:49 PM
just to let u know 12oz cooked chicke breast is only 330 cals if u add the real cals of the food ur eating its less then 2000

Shark
11-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Vido, i said right in my first post that its probably going to be for a slow cut.

Shark
11-04-2004, 10:08 PM
akomabutisakama, where are you getting your intel on the chicken nutritional breakdown?

Vido
11-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Vido, i said right in my first post that its probably going to be for a slow cut.

Why don't you look into something more hardcore, like UD2 (muscle-sparing) or PSMF (pure fat loss)? My thoughts on cutting have changed recently, and I would much rather do something more difficult for less time and be done with it. No one likes cutting, may as well do it for as little time as possible.

Shark
11-05-2004, 12:02 AM
The problem for me with UD2 is that i have no support from my familly or friends. My familly gets together at least 2-3 times each week and those are all meals that I have to attend so if i have to stick to something that is super strict it gets really difficult. I would do it if i were on my own but its gets complicated by family stuff.

akomabutisakama
11-05-2004, 06:38 AM
fitday and a couple other websites i checked

ryuage
11-05-2004, 07:19 AM
you must use some other fitday I get

Amount Per 12 oz, boneless, cooked (yield after skin removed)
Calories 510.51
Calories from Fat 99.41

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11.05g 17%
Saturated Fat 3.12g 16%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.38g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.84g
Cholesterol 262.99mg 88%
Sodium 1236.3mg 52%
Potassium 792.27mg 23%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 95.98g 192%

Vido
11-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't use oz for meat, I use grams, but by my conversion I get about 555 calories for the chicken.

Vido
11-05-2004, 12:05 PM
The problem for me with UD2 is that i have no support from my familly or friends. My familly gets together at least 2-3 times each week and those are all meals that I have to attend so if i have to stick to something that is super strict it gets really difficult. I would do it if i were on my own but its gets complicated by family stuff.

That's why I prefer the PSMF over UD2. UD2 is planned out so that there's really no room for error, whereas with PSMF it's really not "that" big a deal to have a cheat (take a look at my journal and you'll find out exactly what I mean :redface: ). Besides even if you don't call the days where you eat with your family cheat days or "refeeds", go ahead and eat with them and you'll be fine. You'd only be eating 1000-1500 calories/day anyway, so even if you had a large meal with your family you'd still probably be in a deficit for the day.

Furthermore, just explain to your family what you are doing. No one can force you to eat anything you don't want to. My family always bugs me about being on some kind of "wacky" diet, but funny enough, I'm the only one of them with a good body :rolleyes:.

geoffgarcia
11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Just explain to your family what you are doing. No one can force you to eat anything you don't want to. My family always bugs me about being on some kind of "wacky" diet, but funny enough, I'm the only one of them with a good body :rolleyes:.my sentiments exactly

When people say that a good body is made up of hard work, diet, intensity and dedication, this is whats meant by dedication.
If you can't commit to a diet it will hold back your progress.

Also your fats look bad. Lower them down to about 70, put the rest of those calories into carbs. And start tracking the various fats your taking in (mono,poly,sat) as well as dietary fiber.

Shark
11-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Are my fats really that bad? Mayo has little to no saturated fat and I thought that same was true about the cashews. I may end up swapping out my sandwich cheese for the "light" version which is basically the same with 1/3 of the fat. Its probably a good idea. I am also planning on throwing in some flax oil some place, just not sure where. Maybe with my cottage cheese meal.

JSully
11-06-2004, 12:30 PM
You think you're family is bad, try working in an office environment where you're allowed to eat at your desk. EVERYONE at work says I'm either "crazy" or "obsessed" because I fluctuate in weight so much. 12 weeks ago I weighed 259, and yesterday carb depletd I weighed 221. My strenght is maybe only 10-20lbs off the maxes I had before and I look great. We have pot luck (where everyone brings something in and its like a huge picnic) 3-4 times a month. Managers and co-workers always bring in bagels or donuts or something. We're constantly having company sponsered catered lunches, and we're approaching a christmas party with an open bar. So if you think you're family bugging you about dieting is hard, get out in the real world. It's all about dedication. How dedicated are YOU when it comes to losing fat/getting bigger/or whatever else you're goals are.

I am dedicated. We had a MONSTROUS pot luck for a woman I work with yesterday. She quit to go to something better and had worked there for 5 years. A few things I had to pass up whilst having NO carbs whatsoever (except spillover from protein shakes) were Macaroni & Cheese, Taco Dip, TONS O Donuts, Ham&Cheese sandwiches, Taco's, Pasta Salad, bagels w/cream cheese, as well as lots of cake and ice cream. If you think that's easy then you're on crack!

As it is, I feel guilty when I open up a Diet Dr.Pepper. Even though its ZERO calories, I still feel guilty because I've strayed from my original diet plan.

It's all about dedication and willpower... how much do you have?

Shark
11-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Damn, i think i just got told

ryuage
11-07-2004, 01:33 PM
lol...

Shark
11-07-2004, 01:49 PM
So i'm going to start by adding ETS and some lean tukey to my breakfast to up the protein a bit.

Actually, i'll just post my new diet here in a bit and let you all give me some more info on it.

Shark
11-07-2004, 02:10 PM
So here's the diet with some changes.

Vido
11-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I'd try to get that protein up a little higher. I'd also replace fats like mayo, butter, and cheese with fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, or nuts.

Shark
11-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Ok, try this. The mayo i am not willing to give up though. BTW, mayor has almost no saturated fight right? Is it just not an EFA and that's why no one likes it?

Vido
11-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Personally I think your cals are too low for the start of a cut. I might work my way down to that number, but assuming you're doing a little bit of exercising (working out or cardio) I don't see why someone of your size couldn't lose fat on a 3000 calorie diet. This would also allow you to better meet my recommendations that I always give that are as follows:

1g protein/lb bodyweight
20-30% fats (mostly EFA's)
the rest carbs

You still need more protein; the fats should also be increased. I know you probably don't want to cut carbs, so you'll be forced to add calories. I don't think this should be a problem.

JSully
11-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Damn, i think i just got told

But in a good way! :D

Shark
11-07-2004, 04:37 PM
I took it in a good way Jake!

Vido: I know cals are still low. I'm going to work on the this afternoon. I can't do any cardio right now as I just hurt my knee so the only thing I can do is lift. Lifting burns calories yes, but not like cardio. I have a very stubborn system and my body is really resistant to shedding fat. So I will up the cals but I probably want to start in the neighborhood of 2700-2800.

Shark
11-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Ok, everyone. This is the update of the Diet. Cals are up close to 2800. I have 1g/p of bodyweight. My fats could be better but I need some suggestions as I am not sure how else to swap things around. Right now it looks doable, which for me means that I can buy all the food at costco minus the flax oil and the meals are easy enough to plan remember that I can handle them without freaking.

The cut is going to be until christmas as I am going to Cabo San Lucas on the 25th and want to get in better beach shape by then. As soon as my leg starts to heal i will do both cardio and lift my legs but until then its moderate activity and upper body workouts only (doctors orders).

Take a look.

Shark
11-07-2004, 10:02 PM
So i'm going to start this cut tomorrow. Any other comments tonight would be appreciated!

Vido
11-07-2004, 10:24 PM
That looks a lot better.