PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help

blackss
11-03-2004, 05:16 PM
ok, i have no idea what i'm doing

i eat eat and eat i can't gain any weight (is this called being a "hardgainer"?)

i can't gain weight and i can't pack on muscle

i've been working out after school every day for the past few weeks, and i see no improvements

JSully
11-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Eat more!

Get a good mass gainer shake and have 2-3 a day.

SW
11-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Definitely eat everything around you since your metabolism ( exept for unhealthy things). Quit drinking pop. For the most part at least. Work each muscle group only 1-3 times per week. Hit them hard and then let them rest to recover. Definitely don't be doing the same thing every day. Get good sleep. Get a good routine. Look around the site for them.

blackss
11-03-2004, 06:51 PM
i can stop drinking coke, and go to water,koolaid,gatorade easily

eating that much is hard for me, i'll do it for a few days and lose interest

and a routine.....i can't really make out a good routine for myself :mad:

no regrets
11-03-2004, 09:01 PM
I would try not to drink much koolaid either, it is mainly sugar. Routines aren't that difficult to make up. How many days a week do you train?

blackss
11-04-2004, 05:48 AM
its sugar free!

every day in the afternoon

ryuage
11-04-2004, 06:02 AM
list your diet.

Rex
11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
i eat eat and eat i can't gain any weight (is this called being a "hardgainer"?)

No, it's called not eating enough.

You're not gaining weight because you're not taking in enough calories. Try eating another 300 cals a day.

It'll take more than a few weeks before you see definitive improvements in muscularity.

Anthony
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Like everyone else said - eat more. Just because you are full doesn't mean you are eating enough to gain weight. It means you have a small appetite.

mattburns
11-04-2004, 12:03 PM
also maybe your eating the wrong foods, try browsing peoples journals to see what to eat and use www.fitday.com for yourself to see how much you are eating.

Ğragons
11-04-2004, 12:23 PM
no probably he thinks he is eating a lot, but isnt really, and isnt counting cals properly :p

Vido
11-04-2004, 02:37 PM
no probably he thinks he is eating a lot, but isnt really, and isnt counting cals properly :p

That would be my guess too.

SalahG
11-04-2004, 02:43 PM
It's impossible to not gain weight in a caloric surplus. 90% of the male population can get a caloric surplus from 3000-4000 calories, if you are the 10% that needs more than this amount of calories to gain weight, than that means you have a tougher job to do, and if you have to, eat junk. I know a bodybuilder on another board who is a hardgainer, and when he bulks he has to take in 8000 calories a day to make sufficient gains, he says about 2000 of those calories come from mac+cheese, and pizza. Point being, get all the calories you can get.

TheGimp
11-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Stop working out every day. You grow out of the gym, not in it. Stick to a 3 or 4 day split.

And eat more. That's all there is to it.

blackss
11-04-2004, 06:06 PM
3 to 4 day split? whats a split?

i quit drinking coke and carbinated crap, and i'll try to eat more i'm 6'1'' and 140 pnds
i need to understand more

when you are "growing" how do you muscles feel? does it hurt when you push on them? you can feel the pain when you're using them? does that mean that they are growing? and that means i should rest and let them grow? then when it is gone i should work out some more?

TheGimp
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
A split is how you divide up your training days. What I'm saying is work out 3 or 4 days a week. If you don't give your muscles adequate time to recover then they won't grow.

blackss
11-05-2004, 04:57 AM
how do i know when they are growing? some times, after i work out, they just feel weird for an hour or so, then it goes away...

what about.. taking in 4000 calories a day?

Vido
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
how do i know when they are growing? some times, after i work out, they just feel weird for an hour or so, then it goes away...

what about.. taking in 4000 calories a day?

What you are referring to is called a "pump". It's just extra blood flowing into the muscles when you are working them...this is why it goes away shortly after a workout.

You will know your muscles are growing when people start saying "Wow, you're looking big!" or "You been living in the gym lately?" or "Holy $#@% I can barely recognize you!". You won't notice the changes yourself as much as others who haven't seen you for a while. You can also use the mirror and scale to help you. If you're gaining weight and don't appear to be gaining fat, it's probably muscle.

Sure, go ahead and take 4000 calories/day. It doesn't necessarily mean you will start growing. Maybe you need 5000 or 6000 or maybe only 2500. The point is you won't know until you start recording what you're eating every day and keep track of how your body is changing.

blackss
11-05-2004, 03:06 PM
i don't care about how i look, i want to FEEL the growth, what does the muscle FEEL like when its growing, when it needs rest.

Vido
11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
i don't care about how i look, i want to FEEL the growth, what does the muscle FEEL like when its growing, when it needs rest.

I have no idea how to help you then. You're the first person I met who cares about "feeling" growth...I, like everyone else, just want to be jacked.

If you really want the truth, you're never going to "feel" the muscle growing. It's a long process, not just something that happens out of the blue.

blackss
11-05-2004, 06:57 PM
aren't your muscles supposed to hurt when their growing?

SW
11-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Oh boy....

Your muscles hurt when the workout they've recieved shocks them in such a way. You can get just as good a workout from one that doesn't quite shock it to that extent, make no mistake.

Here's a way to find out how long it takes you to repair muscle and be ready to lift that body part/muscle group again: 1.Lift well 2. do it again 2 days later. If you can't do the same weight for the same reps or more, then you need 3 or more days rest. Don't let the pain/soreness be an indicator of when you are ready to lift again, I've hurt bad before and lifted more weight. Most people lift a muscle group every 3-6 days. Myself I bench 1 time per week and do a good job of it, and so on with all other exercises.

Vido
11-05-2004, 08:20 PM
aren't your muscles supposed to hurt when their growing?

no