PDA

View Full Version : Eating a lot?

jgprather
11-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey - Posts on this board often mention eating a lot when you're trying to gain muscle. I work out 5-6 days a week. I do 30 minutes of cardio and an hour of weight training. Certainly not as intense as most of you, but surely good workout.

My typical diet is a lot of protein, low-fat snacks, carbs, some sugar, fruits and vegetables. So I eat pretty healthy. But do I need to eat more? I get hungry pretty often. Sometimes just an hour after a meal. But I don't want to undo my progress by eating too much.

So if the answer is YES, I should eat more, what kinds of foods should I eat? Does fat have any role in building/repairing muscle? What about eating before bedtime? I try not to eat anything too fattening then.

Thanks.

DarrenEff
11-03-2004, 07:20 PM
If you're trying to gain weight, yes, you always want to eat more. It all depends on your goals.

And for a list of food
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

muscle chic
11-04-2004, 07:52 AM
You should be eating six times a day. High Protein, low fat foods. Natural foods are the best for gaining muscle and losing fat. Oat meal, eggs, egg whites, natural peanut butter, yams, protein shakes w/ water or skim milk, fish, chicken, veges ect. I do see alot of info on here that says to stuff your face with everything under the sun but that's some seriously wrong info.You want healthy fats, healthy carbs and lots of protein. You do need to eat a certain amount of fat per day depending on your height and weight along with carbs and protein. You need to keep track of what your body is taking in. You may be eating too much fruit and not enough filling foods. There is a lot of sugar in fruit so you have to watch how much your eating. May be too many carbs. You really need to list your diet and when you eat. Height and weight? Bodyfat%?

HahnB
11-04-2004, 08:24 AM
You don't have to eat 6 times a day. 4 is fine if your meals are large.

muscle chic
11-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Six meals is to stop you from being hungry all the time. Say you have breakfast then your second meal would be maybe a protein shake then lunch another shake then dinner hit the gym and another shake. Just an example!!

Anthony
11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
What is your goal?

muscle chic
11-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Good Fats, Bad Fats

Remember that all fats are high in calories.

The best choices for heart health are the monounsaturated, omega 3 fats and the polyunsaturated fats.
Best Fats
Monounsaturated Fat Foods

Avocado

Oil (canola, olive, peanut, sesame)

Olives (all)

Nuts
almonds, cashews

filberts, hazelnuts

macadamia nuts
peanuts, pecans
pistachios

Peanut butter, old-fashioned

Sesame seeds
Good Fats
Polyunsaturated Fat Foods

Margarine (first ingredient is polyunsaturated oil)

Mayonnaise (regular or reduced-fat)

Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (regular orreduced-fat)

Nuts (walnuts)

Oil (corn, safflower, soybean, cottonseed)

Salad dressing (regular & reduced-fat)

Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring)

All fish and shellfish contain these fats

Nuts & flaxseed

Bad Fats
Saturated Fats

Bacon & Bacon grease

Butter (stick, whipped, reduced-fat)

Coconut

Cream & half-and-half

Cream cheese

Ice cream

Lard & salt pork

Palm & palm kernel oil

Bad Fats
Trans Fats

Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats

Margarine (stick)

Nondairy creamers

Shortening

Vido
11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
If you're trying to gain weight, and you're not currently, then yes you have to eat more.

Eating before bedtime is fine, and is actually one of the more important meals of the day. Food isn't going to be stored as fat just because you're eating it right before bed; that's a myth.

jgprather
11-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, I am 22. But not exactly your average 22 year old male. I've had chronic health problems all of my life. So I am a little over 5 feet tall and small-framed. My main goal is to gain a respectable amount of muscle and get rid of some baby fat from around my mid-section. But I surely, don't need to lose any weight. I don't believe I am under-weight either. Maybe a little, by not an unhealthy amount.

I've worked out on and off for a few years now. I only stop if I get sick or go out of town. Some of the meds I take can work against my progress.

I do love eating. And have gotten into shakes lately for breakfast. Would a Clif energy bar count as one of these many meals during the day. I have class and cannot eat a whole bunch in class.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I feel like I am on the right track.

Vido
11-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Either bulk or cut, don't try to do both at the same time.

Jeffreyk
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
drop the cardio.....you'll see huge improvements!!!