PDA

View Full Version : Sodium in Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice

Focused
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
i love eating these dinners but some people on here advised me to stay away from them because of the high amount of sodium (350 -600mg is usually the average amount in them) so i decided to buy some chicken breat and hell it seems as if they have a just about the same amount of sodium in them as well....i look around the grocery store some more and just about every thing in there has some amount of sodium in it so whats the big deal about it? btw eating those dinners help me lose a good amount of weight

Jabberwocky
11-04-2004, 05:34 PM
My thing with the lean cuisine healthy choice dinners is, I can make myself a meal with the same amount of calories, twice as much protein, twice as much flavor and twice as much food. They were ok when I started to diet, but I know better now.

abwowang
11-04-2004, 05:59 PM
its loaded with sodium.. bad idea.

Focused
11-04-2004, 06:48 PM
but the point is just about everything i get even the chicken breast has alot of sodium, so what should i get then?

Titanium_Jim
11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
What's so bad about sodium? I eat a buttload. My dad does too, with no problems. He's 52, and has always had tons of salt on everything.

txterry
11-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Chicken breast has lots of sodium ? :scratch:
Raw chicken breast has only 77 grams of sodium. Anything else is added.
If youre talking about products made from chicken breast, including Boston Market, yes the sodium content can be high.

Best to cook your own at home if you can.

If I need salt in my food I'll add No-salt or some other salt substitute (Potassium Chloride).

Titanium_Jim
11-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Mmmmm, all things chlorine. But seriously, what's so bad about sodium?

txterry
11-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Excessive sodium leads to high blood pressure which can cause Heart disease and stroke, two of the major killers in the US.

Americans (as well as poeple from other developed countries) are known for consuming too much sodium. Currently accepted guidelines state that between 500mg and 2400 mg of sodium are required by the body, yet the average person consumes 6,000 to 18,000 mg daily!

Heres how we consume our sodium:
Salt (sodium chloride) Used in cooking or at the table; used in canning and preserving.
Monosodium glutamate (also called MSG) A seasoning used in home, restaurant and hotel cooking and in many packaged, canned and frozen foods.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) Sometimes used to leaven breads and cakes; sometimes added to vegetables in cooking; used as alkalizer for indigestion.
Baking powder Used to leaven quick breads and cakes.
Disodium phosphate Found in some quick-cooking cereals and processed cheeses.
Sodium alginate Used in many chocolate milks and ice creams to make a smooth mixture.
Sodium benzoate Used as a preservative in many condiments such as relishes, sauces and salad dressings.
Sodium hydroxide Used in food processing to soften and loosen skins of ripe olives and certain fruits and vegetables.
Sodium nitrite Used in cured meats and sausages.
Sodium propionate Used in pasteurized cheese and in some breads and cakes to inhibit growth of molds.
Sodium sulfite Used to bleach certain fruits such as maraschino cherries and glazed or crystallized fruits that are to be artificially colored; also used as a preservative in some dried fruits such as prunes.

Cutting down on salt is an obvious and easy way to limit sodium intake. There is no known link to Chlorine in commonly combined forms, and any health problems - this of course excludes sodium chloride.

Focused
11-05-2004, 12:50 PM
the "butchers cut" are the chicken breast i bought and they have 460mg of sodium in them....so tell me this then, do you guys prepare 100% of your meals at home or what?

Titanium_Jim
11-05-2004, 08:02 PM
I eat everything, everywhere.

txterry
11-06-2004, 10:49 AM
the "butchers cut" are the chicken breast i bought and they have 460mg of sodium in them....so tell me this then, do you guys prepare 100% of your meals at home or what?

I eat 60% of my meals at home.

Where did you get that nutritional data on sodium content of chicken breast ?
Everything Ive found tells me its about 5 times less sodium (60-80mg per 100 grams). Is the breast seasoned ?

Scott S
11-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Excessive sodium leads to high blood pressure which can cause Heart disease and stroke, two of the major killers in the US.

Americans (as well as poeple from other developed countries) are known for consuming too much sodium. Currently accepted guidelines state that between 500mg and 2400 mg of sodium are required by the body, yet the average person consumes 6,000 to 18,000 mg daily!

Are these guidelines for athletes (who sweat), or the inactive lump that is the "ordinary citizen"? My guess is the latter. Athletes will generally need around 3g per day. Potassium supplementation is also key.

Worry about sodium intake if your blood pressure is too high. Otherwise, don't.

Maxgain
11-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Raw chicken breast has only 77 grams of sodium. ).

I presume thats milligrammes

JustinF
11-09-2004, 06:39 AM

Exactly. Especially if you don't add exessive salt to your meals.

manowar669
11-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Don't buy frozen chicken breasts, most of those are injected with a salt solution. They all say on the packages "includes up to 7% of a sodium solution (percentages vary by brand). Read the ingredients, some have preservatives, etc. Just get plain old chicken breasts at the meat counter from a butcher, if in doubt, ask the guy (that's what he's paid for, ring the little bell on the wall by the hamburger), buy bulk packs (cheaper) and split them up and freeze them if you need to. Stay away from stuff by Tyson, Shady farms (truth in advertising?), etc.

muscle chic
11-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Are these guidelines for athletes (who sweat), or the inactive lump that is the "ordinary citizen"? My guess is the latter. Athletes will generally need around 3g per day. Potassium supplementation is also key.

Yeah, and that's exactlly how you will end up with high blood pressure!! Some of the advice you give is off the wall!!