PDA

View Full Version : hows this diet from what i`ve heard its really good

puppet
11-05-2004, 02:37 PM
its called the adams diet, made up by some guy on jp forums, just about everybody is on it so i thought i`d post it here

1. Eat as many of these vegetables as you desire throughout the day.

Asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, cucumbers, egg plant, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, pickles, spinach, squash, string beans, tomatoes, zucchini. Of course, oil-based, low carb dressings are fine for dipping, steaming is great, as well as sautéing with garlic (fantastic for fresh spinach with olive oil).

2. Eat as much lean meat as you want: 90 percent lean beef, turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon (any kind of fish/seafood really). (You can eat bacon, ham, and fattier meat, too, but just for the sake of being politically correct, limit these to one to two servings a day.) Use low-carb marinades and rubs to add variety to things like chicken and beef.

3. Especially avoid high-carbohydrate snacks. That is, anything that would spike your insulin between meals. Instead eat pepperoni or cheese (or better yet, pepperoni sticks dipped in soft cheese! or tuna, etc. Also, eat at 1-2 servings of peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pine nuts per day (great snacks).

4. Allow yourself one to two servings (but only at ONE meal) of the following: whole grain/wheat bread, brown rice, sweet potato, oats/oatmeal (In other words, if you want a sandwich for lunch, eat it. If you like oatmeal for breakfast, eat it.)

5. Limit fruit intake to 2 servings a day. Choose from: strawberries, pears, peaches, apples, and grapes.

6. Have as much coffee (with cream or artificial sweeteners), diet soft drinks, and tea as you like.

7. Drink lots of water. Let's say 16 ounces ever two hours you are awake on top of other beverages.

8. Drink (roughly): 15 grams of protein, 45 grams of carbohydrate (high-glycemic like maltodextrin or dextrose) in 12 ounces of water--half 5 to 15 minutes before your workout, and the rest evenly divided every 15-20 minutes of your workout. (This is basically a "Nutrient Timing" principle.)

9. After your workout, drink 20 grams of protein and 20 to 40 grams of carbohydrate. (These numbers are debatable, but I think they'll do the job quite nicely.)

10. Eat eggs and plenty of cheese. Avoid milk most of the time. (If you love it, limit it to one serving a day.)

Does this make sense. You'll get plenty of carbohydrates but you'll time them correctly and you won't be eating the 'bad" ones when it counts. The idea is that you'll keep insulin levels low all day long (high insulin inhibits fat loss and promotes fat storage) except during your workout, when you'll use insulin to decrease protein breakdown. You'll also eat protein at the same time, to enhance protein synthesis. Plus, by eating before and during your workout, you can workout as intensely as you desire. So it's the best of both worlds: faster fat loss with more energy. In addition one problem with a pure fat loss ketogenic diet is that although you preserve muscle, you can look "flat" because of the reduced glycogen stores. This plan keeps your muscles looking full and feeling big. Basically, it's meat and vegetables. So you don't have the pasta and bread, but you really don't need it if you get creative enough with food preparation. I'd also recommend that if you can sneak a fiber supplement in during the day (BeneFiber or Metamucil) say, 30 minutes before you eat any meal in which you eat the foods that are in number four you'll enhance your results even more.

Adam
11-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Looks like good guidelines. You should read some of john berardi's articles, he has some on wbb or just go to his site johnberardi.com for all of them. His guidelines are also based on nutreint timimg.
You can also buy a book from amazon.com called 'nutrient timing system' Its by John Ivy and its a great book.
The only change i would make to those guidelines is around the workout. I would have more protein and more carbs. The amount depend solely on BW though. Right now i take 0.5G/Lbs of protein in my workout shake(includes pre/during/post shakes) and 1G/Lbs of maltodextrin.

Vido
11-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Looks alright, but I have no respect for diets that say "eat as much as you want", regardless of what foods it's allowing you to eat.

toughguywannabe
11-05-2004, 10:21 PM
that diet for bulking? i don't see how a diet can work if ur not calculating how many calories are going in? who knows tho..