PDA

View Full Version : Lose weight or gain mass?

bassman09
11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
I am new to the forum so I would like to start by saying hello.

I am just getting into weight lifting after a long break (approx 10yrs) and I have some extra weight I would like to see disappear but I also want to add mass to all of my body parts.

My question is should I focus on weight loss first by lowering my calorie intake or not worry about it and just focus on building muscle for now?

I would like to lose about 30 pounds. I am currently 225 lbs and 6' tall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vido
11-08-2004, 11:18 AM
If you haven't lifted in that long you can probably take advantage of the "newbie gains" and trim some fat while adding muscle. Just try to eat around maintenance calories, and select foods from the "What a bodybuilder eats" sticky at the top of this forum. After a few months though, you will begin having more difficulty doing both at the same time, and should then focus on either cutting or bulking.

deuce02
11-08-2004, 11:26 AM
I am, or was recently at the same point you are. I am 5'9'' and weighted 191 pounds, a lot of that was fat. When I was 20 I was 124 pounds, now that I am 32 I hit 191.

I decided I was going to lose the fat and gain muscle, and generally be in better shape than I have been in a long time. I start by lifting six days a week, running 30 minutes a day, and cutting out the "bad" food. I am also taking a thermometric and protein. I am down to 170 pounds and have more muscle than I would have expected in just a few months. I have also gotten to the point where I am now lifting four days a week and resting more.

Focus on the cardio and the diet at first, but get a lifting routine in and stick to it. When the fat starts to come off you'll be primed to really pack on some lean mass.

mattburns
11-08-2004, 11:51 AM
thermometric.

did u mean thermogenic or am i just stupid? :p

a lot of people stick to one or the other, but like vido said it can be possible because of so called 'newbie gains, i found even tho i wasnt too fat when i first started, just by cleaning up my diet and doing weights i lost a couple of pounds of fat, however you're looking to lose a lot more so i guess its really up to you.

read some of the articles on the wbb homepage and check out some of the journals, the only one i can think of off the top of my head who is cutting whilst gaining strength and mass would be briancurran01's journal.

bassman09
11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody, I appreciate the input.

I think for now I am just going to maintain my calorie intake and workout consistently, I am sure this will eliminate some of the extra fat. Come spring I will look more seriously at an actual calorie reduced diet if I find I still have too much extra fat.

As many people just starting out I too am very pumped about seeing results right away and I know that removing the layer of fat covering my existing muscle is one way to help start seeing results sooner then later. I have to teach myself that when it comes to building a physique patience is going to have to become my best friend, right along side consistancy and persistance.

Thanks again for the replies everybody.

Bassman

BlingMeter
11-08-2004, 05:33 PM
its winter time. tis the season to pack on a little. feb/march is where the fat starts to come off for spring :clap: