PDA

View Full Version : Soda!

trojanskin
11-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Whats the deal with soda? I myself drink diet, but looking at the back of a regular bottle, whats so bad? 100 calories seems the average, 0 fat, whats the problem? Seems to me like a good way to add a few extra calories to your daily intake.

ryuage
11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
empty calories... if that were the case id eat ice cream and pizza cuz they offer extra calories too.

Vido
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Exactly, it has no nutritional benefit. You want to want to eat the most nutrient-dense foods you can with the number of calories you have to work with each day.

Geeper
11-08-2004, 12:27 PM
The amount of sugar is also insane.

I was having stomach problems at one point and my dr asked how much soda I drank. She explained that in a can there's roughly 12 spoonfuls of sugar! And that all this sugar was giving me my stomach problems. Stoped drinking pop, the problems when away and I lost a lot of fat.

Vido
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
The amount of sugar is also insane.

She explained that in a can there's roughly 12 spoonfuls of sugar!

It's 5-7, not 12, but still way too much.

Blood&Iron
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
One word: high-fructose corn syrup.

Wait, that's four words. Or is it three?

Mr. ?
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I quit drinking soda altogether about 3 months ago. For someone like me I need all the room in my stomach for dense calorie foods that are going to benifit me in gainging weight. I guess when it comes down to it, if I had enough room to eat/drink one more thing before I was full I would choose a tall glass of Vitamin D milk (2 c.)- 300 cal, 16 grams of protein over a can of Mt. Dew- 170 cal, no protein, tons of sugar. Something to think about. :nod:

ichbinschneller
11-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Its not just the sugars that are terrible. A lot of soda has phosphoric acid and other nasty chemicals in it. If you leave a tooth in a cup of soda over night it will totally dissolve within 24 hours. These chemicals also can weaken your bones and cause ulcers. I had trouble with this last year when I was lifting and have since stopped drinking the stuff. I was, how ever drinking insane amounts of it (diet soda that is) every day. Almost anything in life is safe if used in moderation but todays society has created several generations that comsume soda like its water.

Mercuryblade
11-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Drink juices and smoothies, they taste better and aren't empty calories, and won't cause digestive problems.

fen2zla
11-10-2004, 02:31 AM
If you leave a tooth in a cup of soda over night it will totally dissolve within 24 hours.

That sounds like a cool experiment to try. Anyone got a spare tooth that they would like to donate to science?

EviscerationX
11-11-2004, 01:40 AM
The tooth won't dissolve. It becomes rubbery and the soda erodes all the enamel away. I did this in 8th grade.

fen2zla
11-11-2004, 02:51 AM
The tooth won't dissolve. It becomes rubbery and the soda erodes all the enamel away. I did this in 8th grade.

Well thats just quite, ummm, boring. Dissapointing really. :(

ichbinschneller
11-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Ultimately if you stir it around it will break apart into small chunks.

JeffWillConquer
11-11-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't question the reasoning for not drinking soda, it just seems to be some sort of national bodybuilders code.

fen2zla
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Ultimately if you stir it around it will break apart into small chunks.

Thats still boring. I was expecting flames and explosions and sparks and stuff. :D

abwowang
11-11-2004, 09:44 PM
in the past year i have had at most 2 cans of soda.. at first i just wanted to see how long i could last.. but it just kept going.. u get used to it..
now im tryin to cut out juice.. i havent had any juice in the past 4 months
i just drink water.
I just started drinkin green tea 2 days ago.. 1 cup a day.. see wut happens> *shrug*