PDA

View Full Version : Hand gripper difficulty?

torqueboxer
11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
I want to start training my grip strength so I purchased an Iron Mind gripper.
I ordered the #1(140lbs) because it said that if you work with your hands then the #1 would be a good starting point. Does anybody have one of these grippers? If you do can you give me an approximate on how hard it is to close? Possibly some type of exercise that I can do at the gym so you can describe how hard it is to close.

Thanks.

Adam
11-08-2004, 04:21 PM
i dont think there any exercise that relates to gripping strength. I have the trasiner and #1 and can just close the #1. took me a while. Having little girl hands doesn't help either.

torqueboxer
11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
I can pulverize walnuts in my single hand...think that means i have a decent grip? LOL
Beats me, I was just curious if i wasted 25 bucks on a gripper that I wont have a chance of closing for the next month or two. Thanks for the reply.

Adam
11-08-2004, 04:57 PM
You should be able to close it then.
They're really nice looking too. all shiny and stuff;)

Phil Harrington
11-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I want to start training my grip strength so I purchased an Iron Mind gripper.
I ordered the #1(140lbs) because it said that if you work with your hands then the #1 would be a good starting point. Does anybody have one of these grippers? If you do can you give me an approximate on how hard it is to close? Possibly some type of exercise that I can do at the gym so you can describe how hard it is to close.

Thanks. WORK ON CLOSING THE GRIPPER EVER OTHER DAY YOUR GRIP NEEDS REST TOO HERES THE BEST TIP OF ALL IF YOU ARE A POWERLIFTER YOU DONT NEED CLOSING STRENGTH AS YOU DO HOLDING STRENGTH THERES 2 TYPES OF STRENGTHS TO WORK FOR 2 TYPES OF TRAINING GOALS IF YOU WANT DETAIL HELP LET ME KNOW I HAVE THE NUMBER 1 GRIPPER AND 2 AND CLOSE THEM BOTH BUT YOU STILL NEED HOLDING STRENGTH FOR MAXIUM DEADLIFTS ,PHIL HARRINGTON WPO

MixmasterNash
11-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Yeah, crushing strength has relatively little to do with static holding strength. I can occasionally close the #1, with right hand only, but in comparison, I have rack pulled 500 and I rock climb, so I have very strong static strength. I am traing up my crushing and pinching strength now.

If you can't close the #1 right away, then work on negatives and assisted closes.

Brad Cardoza
11-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Gripper strength is very specific. I have been on the road to closing the #3 for some time now, and nothing helps more than closing the #2 as often as i can without over training. If you are having trouble with the #1 I would get the trainer and start with that. You could also try the heavy grips APT Pro Wriststraps sells, they are much easier than the captains of crush.

bill
11-10-2004, 08:44 AM
We have a HS grip machine @ the gym, anyone every use such a thing? Is it good to build forearms? What wt have you been able to use?
description ... seated. plates load in the front and you squeeze to small bars together and its rarely used

Max-Mex
11-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Ive used one. It's ok to start off with. I didn't do any reps. I just put up some weight and held it in the closed position for as long as possible. Last time I used it I was doing 5 plates.

shredder
11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
I just got my #1 last friday and cant close it yet. About 1/4" on right hand and 1/2" on left.

Sybersnott
11-14-2004, 04:35 PM
The grippers are great for building functional hand strength!

The only problem is most guys when they first get them go all out on them and don't know when to train with them and when to leave them alone!

I'm of the opinion that you should train your grip twice a week. If your working on something specific, like improving your deads then do some thick bar static holds and do them twice a week.

Don't do reps on the grippers - to build real strength with them, concentrate on doing negatives. Close it and hold it closed for as long as possible, then repeat with your other hand.

shredder
11-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I agree. Right now i have about less than a pennies width of a gap before its shut completely, i think the negatives have really helped. Time to order a #2.

torqueboxer
11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Well I got my #1 gripper in the mail yesterday and anxiously ripped it out of its package. I was scared it would punk my grip. But I adjusted it in my hand and squeezed it closed...all the way. Here's my new question, how do you know when to graduate to the next level? Should I wait till I can get 10,15,20 reps in each hand? Or is the number one just fine to keep using forever if I consintrate on the negatives?

BlingMeter
11-18-2004, 02:40 PM
where are these #1 grippers?

Adam
11-18-2004, 03:25 PM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=453

MixmasterNash
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
This chick closes the #1:
http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/maggie.html

Check out the rest of that guy's page. He's got a lot of good gripper and bending info.
http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

Sybersnott
11-19-2004, 10:59 PM
I've met her in person! She and Eric came to meet me and I took them to my "grip dungeon" and they had a blast trying out all of my cool grip toys!

Not only is she amazingly attractive, but she is super strong and has a passion for grip training just like Eric! Now why can't I meet a woman like that?!? :scratch:

MixmasterNash
11-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I've met her in person! She and Eric came to meet me and I took them to my "grip dungeon" and they had a blast trying out all of my cool grip toys!

Not only is she amazingly attractive, but she is super strong and has a passion for grip training just like Eric! Now why can't I meet a woman like that?!? :scratch:

Wow, that's cool. I need to convince my gf to start playing with grippers.

HA.

That won't ever happen.

Sinep
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM

Personally I wouldn't want her hands anywhere close my very personal belongings.

Sybersnott
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Wow, that's cool. I need to convince my gf to start playing with grippers.

I've got my 12 year old niece closing the Trainer. She's working on the #1 right now.

I told her that she's got better grip strength than most girls OR boys her age. She thinks that that's "cool". :)